Acle B.N.P.

JennyMorgan

On 19/02/2020 at 18:32, Turnoar said:

BBC Look East show casing apprentices working in the “Broads National Park”; on in a few minutes I expect. Their words not mine.

I saw that too and in my opinion that term of the Broads National Park Sucks. I am old school and for me it will always be the Norfolk Broads whatever they do to try and rename it. Since I'm a Trekkie fan and if Spock was around to talk about the "Norfolk Broads", I'm sure he would say "Live long and prosper".

• Like 3

Thanks Upcycler, totally agree and brings tears to my eyes as a 4th gen broadsman: 1st gen as reserve warden at Hickling, 2nd gen as son of who became foreman boatbuilder at HW Potter Heigham, 3rd gen as grandson and became equally competent boatbuilder, 4th gen myself great gs who loves the broads for what they are, not a boat builder for sure but a boat user for deafinite!

• Like 5

Now there you are - two genuine voices.

No biais, nothing against one man, just personal history and love of the Broads. These are not the usual suspects - this is the genuine groundswell of public opinion.

Have to be a bit careful of that in speaker's corner. You might get warned for it.

• Like 4

Correct Vaughan, sailed off into heaven many years ago now but taught me a lot about how to fully appreciate how lucky I was to grow up in a Broadland village with everything water related on tap, sailing, fishing, canoeing, wildlife, trips to yacht clubs to pick up boats for repair, have a cup of tea and a mardle with the caretaker. Since his passing I’ve met various other boatyard people who acknowledge him and give me the impression that there was a real joined up spirit in the good old days, no wonder so many grockles felt so well looked after and fell in love with the broads for what they are, he had numerous friends and customers who started their affair with a hire, then owning an ex hire boat perhaps, a second or retirement home nearby, and definitely not seeking to change the place into something else!

• Like 6

You have an illustrious ancestor, sir! One of the most famous men on the Broads and I have the privilege of having known him.

He was the official builder of the Norfolk one-design dinghy  and also, I believe, the Yare and Bure, or "White Boat". One of his many apprentices was Mike Fuller, who has done so much for the wherry Albion over the years. Mike was also my boatbuilder, at Womack and always speaks most highly of Jimmy.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Now there you are - two genuine voices.

No biais, nothing against one man, just personal history and love of the Broads. These are not the usual suspects - this is the genuine groundswell of public opinion.

Have to be a bit careful of that in speaker's corner. You might get warned for it.

Warnings have been issued, but not for the reason above, the warnings were issued because of the tone of the discussion had degenerated to a point that was unacceptable. 

as a reminder, there are additional strictures in speakers corner.

General Guidance For Posting

Keep it civil.

Keep it factual.
Support your argument.
If you refer to a document make sure you list that document in the 'library thread' and link to that entry in your post so that everyone has access to the full document.

Keep it relevant
Do not stray from the topic discussed.
Avoid titling a thread for the sake of drama.

Keep it constructive

it was felt that some of these were being ignored so action was taken and warnings issued.

we dont want to stop debate, but we do insist that it is within the guidance above.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, ModeratorTeam said:

Warnings have been issued, but not for the reason above, the warnings were issued because of the tone of the discussion had degenerated to a point that was unacceptable. 

as a reminder, there are additional strictures in speakers corner.

it was felt that some of these were being ignored so action was taken and warnings issued.

we dont want to stop debate, but we do insist that it is within the guidance above.

And sadly the forum has now lost the  knowledge, insight and information so valuable to all of us from a couple of the forums respected long standing members who`s contributions to constructive debate were only treated with attempts to detract and derail instead of reasonable counter argument.

Fred

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

You have an illustrious ancestor, sir! One of the most famous men on the Broads and I have the privilege of having known him.

He was the official builder of the Norfolk one-design dinghy  and also, I believe, the Yare and Bure, or "White Boat". One of his many apprentices was Mike Fuller, who has done so much for the wherry Albion over the years. Mike was also my boatbuilder, at Womack and always speaks most highly of Jimmy.

One of many including your father I would say, Jimmy was indeed the ‘Norfolk’ man and I’m sure would have been overseeing the white boats built at Potter’ which I presume commenced around the time of Ernest Woods passing albeit possibly with some overlap as I’m sure I’ve noted, on the occasions when I’ve had the privilege to sail, some overlapping with Horning builders plates.

On his retirement he was presented with a photo of Hathor sailing onto Hickling with the Smee in the distant background and I’d date it as being sometime in the 60s, judging by the size of reed island, probably with Gordon Curtis on the helm. Donny Beck, who was a marine engineer for Martham Boats at one time, was part of the crew who brought it back from Acle to the yard following purchase. I think he told me that upon inspection it required a hundred, or several, feet of planking and being clinker Woods was the place for it to go so perhaps the picture was a nod toward his help if correct.

Now, on topic, I think he’d appreciate the dredging going on at Hickling but would probably not be too bothered at nature having to give way to the odd cull to keep things in check, geese for example.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, addicted said:

Going off topic although frowned on is one of the things that to me makes the forum so fascinating. It's can be  like planting an unidentifiable seed and waiting to see what emerges.

Carole

I have to agree, conversation ebbs and flows across subjects as one topic leads to another. Imagine a dinner party or just drinks down the pub where the topic is specified and woe betide anyone who wanders off!

It also can be a very good way of steering folk away when/if things get contentious!

• Like 6

On 21/02/2020 at 10:43, ModeratorTeam said:

the warnings were issued because of the tone of the discussion had degenerated to a point that was unacceptable. 

Sorry but I don't want to cause any upset here and unless I am more thick skinned than I think I am, but can you point me to where this happened?

Sometimes I walk through my town and hear youngsters in their early teens effing and blinding, and on occasions their parents are present and no correction of their tone of language is ever made. Social media what I hear from my niece and nephews is full of poison and online bullies and no one really gets prosecuted, so why is it cotton wool seems to be the name of the game on here? 

Who wants to descend to the lowest level ?

As a friendly family accessible forum I think it is right that it remains something I would be happy for my Mother or grandchildren to browse.

A lot of social media platforms are in for a shock when new legislation comes in making the owners liable for content. At least the organisers of this forum are trying to keep ahead of the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Upcycler said:

Sorry but I don't want to cause any upset here and unless I am more thick skinned than I think I am, but can you point me to where this happened?

Sometimes I walk through my town and hear youngsters in their early teens effing and blinding, and on occasions their parents are present and no correction of their tone of language is ever made. Social media what I hear from my niece and nephews is full of poison and online bullies and no one really gets prosecuted, so why is it cotton wool seems to be the name of the game on here? 

You probably won't see where it happened because posts have been removed.

While we don't all agree all the time with what the moderators may do, or don't do (and I don't), I assume they are all unpaid volunteers (?) and therefore giving up there spare time to try and keep order here. They are therefore amateur, human and the best we've got!

Unless I'm wrong of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are all amateurs, not sure about human, we only have unpaid volunteers running the forum and facebook. They do a marvellous job and I am extremely grateful to them all.

The lowest level is not one that we as a forum aspire to, we aim well above that and the moderation team will ensure that we do. Are they always correct, possibly not, but they do so with thought and consultation withIn their group. We very rarely delete post, we just hide them. The moderators then haVe a record of what was said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the mods can be a bit quick to pounce sometimes but in general they do let things run till they get to personal insults and then step in, the likes of faceache and twatter do seem to bring out the lowlife scumbag side of humanity from normally reasonable people which is why I don't go near them, I prefer to keep my lowlife scumbag side out of view and under control.

Don't take that as ALL faceache/twatter people are lowlife scumbags, it just seems to give that type the loudest voice.

8 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I think the mods can be a bit quick to pounce sometimes

in most instances we will hide a post while we discuss it, so if we decide it was all right after all it can be unhidden again at a later date, there are circumstances where if a post is reported by a member, certain types of report can automatically hide the post until we can discuss it, so if a post disappears it may have been reported so it can be hidden before the moderators have even had a chance to discuss it, if we uphold the complaint made by the report the post remains hidden.

then again generally we will also hide any post that quotes the original hidden post or gives a response that doesnt make sense after the original is hidden, so one post accompanied by a number of responses may lead to several being hidden.

As Ian says, we dont aspire to the lowest level, we want to make this site a safe place for all, and while children and grannies may hear expletives etc elsewhere that doesnt mean we want them to hear them here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3