Mad Mynah Strikes Again

MauriceMynah

17 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

It is possible, there was a Sancerre (?!), for sale at Jones Boatyard St Ives a while back which had just such an arrangement. Now how well it worked I have no clue...

Before we purchased Cerise Lady we looked at that Sancerre , if memory serves me right it was called something like Panda.

We didn’t like the boxing in of the stern well and were warned against the twin to single conversion by someone who knew the vendor and the trouble they had had with the craft since the conversion had been carried out.

38 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Alpha 35 ctr ckpt.  Probably the best boat that would suit your requirements.  By your desire for ctr or aft cockpit, you rule out the Bounty 30 + 37, The Aquafibre DC30, and The Bermuda 34, and all the sub 35ft fwd dv Alphas. The Bourne / Broom 30 is a great boat, but a bit narrow for comfort on extended cruising time.  A great many boats will fit the bill if the Thurne blockage was`nt a defining factor.

There was an aft cockpit Bounty 37 conversion

Hmmm, just been catching up on this thread and thought I would chuck my two penneth in........now I am no fan of outdrives, I had one on my last boat and it caused me a major headache when the cv boot split whilst in the water (little old Sonic drive) but if the boat was everything else I wanted I would probably put up with them and instigate a thorough preventitive maintainence program to ensure reliability - having it done professionally every year or perhaps every other for 20 years(for example) will surely be cheaper overall than converting. Of course making sure they good spares availability first!

A good feature of a twin outdrive set up over twin shafts is that you should be able to run on one engine without fear of having to stop suddenly as you can steer the drive in reverse to keep the boat straight - try to stop hard on one engine with twin shafts equals a broadside approach to the hazard and brown trousers all round! (There may be technical reason not to run on one outrive though - anyone know?)

The 'stern on' issue may not be a huge problem if the boat has a decent bathing platform and the Princess 32 transom already overhangs the drives to an extent anyway.

Anyhoo, just my musings, feel free to ignore, personally I'm not a big fan of the Princess 32(among others) as you can't  see out of the cabin windows very well when below but I can see the appeal, decent proper boats. (Looked at a few generally and one closely with my folks a few years back).

• Like 1

There is a project 31 (similar hull) at rockland that may be worth talking to the owner about a look at, it has an md 32 volvo on a V drive so single shaft, I don't think it's for sale but worth a look at the setup.

It used to be called sundowner but not sure what it's called now, it also had the screen changed to be able to fold down and pass every bridge.

My old RLM31 had twin enfields and could stern moor as the bathing platform overhung them, it could also dry out with no problems by lifting the legs which was good on some of the east coast harbours.

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Interesting point and one I shall look into. There's not a lot of point being in a boat you can't see out of.

Depends on the state of the boat you're looking out onto :default_norty:

On 30/12/2019 at 18:07, D46 said:

There are princess 32s with single engine in shaft , regarding the roof it is possible to convert the forward and side screen's to hinge down and if the roof is then a canopy structure then very easily lowered , one such vessel was at belaugh and had to be converted to get thru wroxham , sadly that was a twin version but single engine ones do exist , there was one in brundall as it was out of the water at brooms service place a few yrs ago hence I know there are single engine boats on shaft . 

Someone probably ordered a quantity for a hire fleet. I found this when I was looking for a Freeman 33, which mostly come with twin engines/shafts. I wonder if Princess keep their build records? 

Any boat which has a setup other than the straightforward single diesel on a conventional shaft is going to be more troublesome and costly to maintain.

Converting from twins to a single engine with dual props on hydraulics (which has been done on some Bounty Travellers as well) is not going to be cheap and if going for a new engine at the same time I think is likely to cost a similar amount of money to the boat.

A think a nice beamy Broads cruiser will give you a lot more space and a lot less trouble.

If you like bathtubs as much as I don't then that may rule out the likes of a Bounty 28, Horizon 35 and the like.

I'm not the biggest fan of Alphacraft's build quality, but as others have said the Alpha 35 c/c is a very spacious boat and they're usually shaft drive. And then of course there were the bathtubs starting at 29(?) feet.

They are all quite good boats though, are designed for the system, and pretty much any yard will be able to work competently on them. I don't think the same could realistically said about some more obscure setup in a boat that wasn't designed for the Broads.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Was also good to put faces to names guy`s and the boat looked dirtier in the flesh than the photo shows.

Sorry, just a quick note: OBB, JM and I got together at my place to exchange fridges and likewise, it was great to see them both.

In fairness to Brundall Gardens that green thing is by far the worst kept boat in the marina by a country mile.

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 19:22, CambridgeCabby said:

Before we purchased Cerise Lady we looked at that Sancerre , if memory serves me right it was called something like Panda.

We didn’t like the boxing in of the stern well and were warned against the twin to single conversion by someone who knew the vendor and the trouble they had had with the craft since the conversion had been carried out.

During the nineties there used to be a Sancerre moored on the river front at Ely marina called Sea Panda which was reputed to belong to a retired senior police officer. It was also reputed to be an excellent example of it's type and much admired thus  when it was offered for sale was sold in a a day.

Carole

13 minutes ago, addicted said:

During the nineties there used to be a Sancerre moored on the river front at Ely marina called Sea Panda which was reputed to belong to a retired senior police officer. It was also reputed to be an excellent example of it's type and much admired thus  when it was offered for sale was sold in a a day.

Carole

Googling Sea Panda online there is a reference to her being for sale at Jones (now sold) so I think you’ve hit the nail on the head .

8F4A8987-9D89-4196-89D6-586BFB8D3A8D.jpeg