Tolls

wayneakp

The BA's management style is a subject that could take over the forum Wayne, and has indeed done so elsewhere where it has become quite a crusade for some individuals. :naughty:

The only small point I was making is that all UK waterway authorities charge what seems an exorbitant amount, and that the Broads tolls are still the lowest, by a long chalk.

Many people would undoubtedly even like to see the BA abolished, but not me, because I'd be frightened that the tolls might go up, rather than down, if they were then handled by the Environment Agency instead, like the Fens. :o

Hiya

Take your point about all waterways auhorities charges and certainly not interested in a crusade :o

IMHO the BA do a good job that needs doing and I am quite happy to pay for the benefits it gives us. If we are all realistic about it the Tolls are a very small cost of owning and running a boat.

However it is attitudes and policies thatI have been disagreeing with the BA about for some time. The details are of course between me and them, however suffice to say I am quite happy to pay my tolls on a fair and reasonable basis.

The problem is of course, as with any monopoly running what is effectively a service they can become ....shall we say...a little less customer focused.

best regards

Wayne

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Regarding the cost of license the canal boaters pay, which goes to the EA, they have hundreds of locks and possibly still some lock keepers to upkeep. We cruised the Cambridgeshire fens last year, and the EA moorings were much better kept. I don`t know who`s responsible for the upkeep of Mutford lock, but even if it IS the BA, then it`s the only one they have to upkeep. Also on the Broads, there are NO tunnels to upkeep, and no aquaducts. In comparison, the BA get more money from toll payers, but do considerably less with it, except flying buisness class to global conferences and staying in 5 star hotels etc.

Are you talking of the Cambs Fens, Strowager? We cruised there for a few years and the charge was zero. It was only when we came out of Stanground onto the Nene that we had to buy a license.

I was talking about the Nene and the Ouse Fens, not just the more isolated levels. The EA tolls for those are considerably more expensive than the Broads, and for a much less popular and attractive cruising area.

Regarding the cost of license the canal boaters pay, which goes to the EA, they have hundreds of locks and possibly still some lock keepers to upkeep. We cruised the Cambridgeshire fens last year, and the EA moorings were much better kept. I don`t know who`s responsible for the upkeep of Mutford lock, but even if it IS the BA, then it`s the only one they have to upkeep. Also on the Broads, there are NO tunnels to upkeep, and no aquaducts. In comparison, the BA get more money from toll payers, but do considerably less with it, except flying buisness class to global conferences and staying in 5 star hotels etc.

Yes Neil, but there are four times as many toll payers on the Canals, and although they have locks and tunnels, they are non-tidal, so require far less dredging. In fact the standard narrow or wide beam lock requires very little maintenence, having been so cleverly and simply designed in the first place (during a low technology era :) ).

The BA charge far lower tolls than the EA do for the Canals, less than half.

Mutford Lock is operated (that is staffed) by Waveney District Council.

As is Oulton Broad Yacht Station but the receipt I get every time I pay my £10 to go through the lock is from the Broads Authority so they as sure as hell take the money from it.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I know this is a bit petty but in today's world any saving on costs is a good thing.

My Broads toll arrived yesterday, in an A4 envelope with a 40p stamp on it. If the invoice had been folded in half the Post office charge about 10p less for postage on the smaller envelope.

So 12,000 boats x 10p = £1,200

Ian

With the ongoing saga of Somerleyton Bridge and now BA illegally plundering navigation tolls in order to pay for biscuits maybe now would be a good time to resurrect something that came to light earlier and remind people that they do have the right to challenge the legality or fairness of tolls.

I am intending to pay my tolls on time but accompanied by a letter informing the BA that I do not believe the tolls to be fair on two counts.

1) They have not ensured that free access is available for boats to navigate the southern rivers

2) Tolls are collected to fund navigation and are ring fenced for this reason, if used for other reasons I choose not to pay for then I would like that element refunded,

With the ongoing saga of Somerleyton Bridge and now BA illegally plundering navigation tolls in order to pay for biscuits maybe now would be a good time to resurrect something that came to light earlier and remind people that they do have the right to challenge the legality or fairness of tolls.

I am intending to pay my tolls on time but accompanied by a letter informing the BA that I do not believe the tolls to be fair on two counts.

1) They have not ensured that free access is available for boats to navigate the southern rivers

2) Tolls are collected to fund navigation and are ring fenced for this reason, if used for other reasons I choose not to pay for then I would like that element refunded,

Three cheers hip hip etc. I shall do likewise

Although my boat, Avon Dawn, is not yet on the Broads - but will be in early April - I sent off a cheque for the toll for the coming season. After reading lots of postings about Somerleyton bridge, I decided to contact Network Rail and ask them direct about the current state of operation of the bridge and any future planned closures or works. The reply I received was to look at the Broads Authority website, as all up to date information would be found there. The B.A. site said that the bridge was fully operational.

Can anyone throw some light on the conflicting messages that I am getting. Thanks, Brian J.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Brian, it seems likely that NR and the BA are doing what quangos ALWAYS do in situations like this, and that is to send you round in never decreasing circles long enough hoping the inevitable happens where you`ll eventually get fed up and give up. Regards ................. Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

If what you are saying is correct Ian, you should also bare in mind, that if you spend time and money to resolve this situation, you are perfectly entitled to send an itemised bill to the BA for costs incurred. There was a landmark case recently where somebody was issued with a domestic bill which was (i believe?) wrong, and after all the time argueing about it, the customer sent the energy company a bill for his time and requested payment within a specified period of time, otherwise the bill would be significantly increased with added interrest charges, and he would send the billifs round to collect it :naughty::naughty::naughty: . The result was the energy company after consulting their legal department paid it in full.

Although my boat, Avon Dawn, is not yet on the Broads - but will be in early April - I sent off a cheque for the toll for the coming season. After reading lots of postings about Somerleyton bridge, I decided to contact Network Rail and ask them direct about the current state of operation of the bridge and any future planned closures or works. The reply I received was to look at the Broads Authority website, as all up to date information would be found there. The B.A. site said that the bridge was fully operational.

Can anyone throw some light on the conflicting messages that I am getting. Thanks, Brian J.

Hi Brian, the situation at this moment is that Reedham and Somerleyton are working normally but there are murmurings from an unofficial source claiming to be in the know that the routine oil sampling for the new bearings at somerleyton are giving cause for concern.

The worry is that despite NR monitoring this forum and being quick to send information that they like us to see, through one method or another, no one has come forward to deny the rumours. If they are true the disruption of the last year could well pail into insignificance.

If what you are saying is correct Ian, you should also bare in mind, that if you spend time and money to resolve this situation, you are perfectly entitled to send an itemised bill to the BA for costs incurred. There was a landmark case recently where somebody was issued with a domestic bill which was (i believe?) wrong, and after all the time argueing about it, the customer sent the energy company a bill for his time and requested payment within a specified period of time, otherwise the bill would be significantly increased with added interrest charges, and he would send the billifs round to collect it :naughty::naughty::naughty: . The result was the energy company after consulting their legal department paid it in full.

Hi Neil, not sure where the law would stand as the tolls are collected as harbour dues under authority transferred to them from the harbour authority. It is this that gives you the right to challenge the tolls in the first place. It maybe that the same legislation would rely on there being no fixed fee. Will dig out the original post and repost later.

On the other hand I do feel very strongly that where company's, such as banks, finance houses and utility company's are allowed to set standard charges (fines by another name) that if they are proven to be wrong then not only should the charges be returned but also a payment of at least double the amount that was claimed be paid in compensation. Maybe they would look more closely at things before "the computer got it wrong" if it was costing them money.

Thanks Senator,

You have clarified the situation somewhat. I now understand that all things being equal ( which they never are ) the bridge is operational until we hear differently and that it is likely to change in the future if the rumours turn out to be true.

What degree of reliability does the rumour hold?

Brian J. :?:?:?

I wouldn't like to cross my heart on it but unfortunately the contempt with which NR hold boaters means that I wouldn't be surprised, especially as there is no denial.Of course could just be that NR know nothing is wrong and are using it as a way of discrediting future rumours.

The one thing that is certain is that NR will only tell us what they can be bothered to and will tell BA as little as they wish.