What Day Is It?

Chelsea14Ian

Welcome to my world and a question I will ask my long suffering Ellie about ten times a day, seven days a week and three hundred and sixty five days a year.  If you have spent any length of time in my company you will know that as a result of my strokes I have absolutely no sense of time. Yet as a historian and archaeologist I'm obsessed with it.

My brain processes time and memory quite differently to other people. My short term memory ranges from appalling to nonexistent. I can ask the same question several times within minutes. I will struggle recalling a word, name or number minute to minute. At the same time I suffer from hyperthymesia which means I can recall in exact detail events and conversations that occurred weeks, months, years or decades ago. It makes for some interesting arguments. I might not remember what we were arguing about twenty minutes ago, but by hell will you catch it in a couple of weeks time!

For someone that spends a lot of time with computers and technology my aids to memory are old fashioned. I rely on my analog wristwatches which I seem to accumulate like a dog does fleas. Even more numerous are my un-hackable notebooks and journals. I make copious amounts of notes in a day, written with a fountain pen in cursive, all in a shorthand of my own devising guaranteed to wind up Ellie when she sees pages titled 'Present ideas for Ellie's Birthday' and then she can't read the list underneath.

Technology does come into play in the form of various alarms set on my phone. My new phone has a brilliant feature where I can set an alarm, give the alarm a title which is displayed and the phone will not only ring but the virtual assistant will tell me the time, the day and date and what I'm supposed to be doing. So, there's the 'Take Tablets', 'Take Ellie to Work', 'Pick Ellie Up', 'Pick Gracie Up' and 'Walk Dogs' alarms.  Even though the alarm will have told me it's time to take Ellie to work and what day it is, I will still ask Ellie 'what day is it?' when she gets in the car. Five minutes later when I drop her off at work she will still need to remind me of the day and what time she needs picking up at. I will drive home, make a coffee and then I will ring Ellie at work to ask her what day it is. As always she will answer without sounding exasperated.

Tomorrow is a fun day.
"What day is it?"
"It's your birthday."
"I know that, but what day is it?"

• Like 6

All joking aside,I have been off since 21 December, back to work next Monday. Very pleasant too,but these days seem mixed up. Yesterday up to the boat,lunch at Potter, the cafe was packed, and seemed like a Saturday. I know next week when things get back to "Normal" it will be strange. 

I will say as far as I can remember never turned up for work when I shouldn't have.Have on more then one occasion jumped out of bad,start to get dressed ,only for Marina to say its Sunday,no work today. 

May I wish you all happy New Year,Christmas, Easter,August bank Holiday, what ever it is.:default_xmas3::55c8f94983015_default_happyparty::default_dunce:

• Like 4

Yep, I'm all over the place too.  Have to keep checking phone to remind mysen what day it is.

I should have stopped work on 21st but ended up finishing midday on 24th,    25 / 26 / 27 was actually off but since have been 'Persuaded' by the family to tile my Lads new house, got to go there today for the bathroom floor tiling that after a clay shoot this morning followed by a haircut accompanied by MrsG - Apparently I can't be trusted to get my hair cut on my own as it is always 'Wrong'  so due to her being away not had a haircut since April - starting to look like Gandalf minus the beard.  Still that's her fault to date.  Tomorrow will be a family get together for a couple of hours walking in the countryside, about 14 of us and three dogs (Minus Macie sadly).  Then it'll be admin / bookwork for me, tax return gotta be in for the 31st Jan, 02nd back to tiling my lads place before we go up to Jockland (Gourock) for ten days

Griff

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Timbo said:

Welcome to my world and a question I will ask my long suffering Ellie about ten times a day, seven days a week and three hundred and sixty five days a year.  If you have spent any length of time in my company you will know that as a result of my strokes I have absolutely no sense of time.

Simple solution. Write down what day it is on a piece of paper and carry it with you at all times. Today is Tuesday. Come on now, write that down and the jobs a goodun.

5 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Simple solution. Write down what day it is on a piece of paper and carry it with you at all times. Today is Tuesday. Come on now, write that down and the jobs a goodun.

Take it out of your pocket tomorrow morning and think ‘today is Tuesday’. It’s going to be a slow moving week! :default_norty:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

They tried that in the Goon show except it wasn't the day it was the time written on a piece of paper, So what is the time ? I'll tell you it's written on this piece of paper, of course the time will never change LOL

25 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

It's who you wake up with is the interesting bit - or not !

The skill is always waking first

If she's a beauty have a lie in (or more :default_norty:), if it looks like Herman Munster, test your ankles out of the nearest window and leg it :default_biggrin:

Jayfire - NBN Equality Champion

I`ve got a grip on what day it is, but i think i`ve lost a year. I can`t believe it`s 2020 tomorrow. What`s so frightening is that`s your life going by so quick. 

Oh well, i`l have to contend myself with road testing the new Triumph 2,500cc Rocket 3 in a couple of weeks time. Do so while i still can.

• Like 1