The Importance Of Keeping Your Boat Details Up To Date

JanetAnne

How up to date is your boats contact details? I am sure that the majority of us are up to date with contact phone numbers lodged with our respective marinas and with the boats moored next door etc but it may be worth just checking.

Why? Well if your boat was to be involved in an emergency can you be contacted?

Sadly someone has an unpleasant surprise awaiting them and can't be contacted because their information is out of date.

To be fair it was sat there with its engine running just a fortnight ago and half a dozen tides running through it has soon made it look a mess.

Anyway, yes it is Beccles.

I believe it may have possibly changed hands recently or its owner had moved address which is why it's contact details were awry. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I always think that it reflects badly on mooring owners when this happens. I appreciate that unless a key has been left at the office access might be a problem but even then putting a pump onboard is generally possible,

Now that's interesting

As I understand it, should I have been in the position to instruct any such action without the owners permission I would be liable not only for those costs but also for any damages caused in gaining access. Of course Peter you and I like most on here, as boat owners, would be extremely grateful for anyone saving our boat but not everybody is the same.

She was afloat on the 23rd when I checked the boat nextdoor, the Princess in the piccy and my own boat so chose to take the dive Christmas day or Boxing day when nobody was watching!

• Like 1

Calypsos are a nightmare for rainwater ingress.  Mine was flooded to the underside of the floor on three occasions when I had it at Yalding. 

The drainage points have rubber hoses from the front  and rear wells to outlets but are nearly impossible to change so most are 40+ years old and perished.

The wide side decks and the roof all drain into the rear well,  that tends to overspill the engine hatch and pour into the bilge.

If the power goes off for any time or there is no power  on the mooring,  the batteries fail quickly.

I had two large batteries for domestic and changed them each year to be on the safe side.

Once the power was off for three weeks due to flooding,  it filled up then. Another time it was out of the water for two months and filled up again.

It was always a battle to keep it powered up over winter.

• Like 1

I note from the Picture at the beginning of this thread the makeshift canopies for an aft, most of these single level cruisers the drainage from the fore and aft sections are below the waterline hence they drain in to the bilge, so if no automatic pump or flat batteries, and considering the atrocious weather we have had recently this could be the reason it sank, just a thought

• Like 2

It’s looked unloved for a few years I always felt it was a shame as it just needed a good scrub and it would have been a nice boat,  with no electric on that side of the basin flat batteries and a flooded aft must have taken its toll. Hopefully it can be rescued.

John

• Like 1

A sad sight. As much as I dislike the Calypso design - don’t shoot me, it’s a personal preference thing, nobody (and no boat) deserves that.

It was fine on Christmas Eve afternoon  when I walked past it. 
Like most boat owners, I tend to notice boats which are a bit ‘down in the water’ or don’t look like they are sitting right. By Saturday my other half reported that it was down, as per the photos. By Tuesday it looked even worse. 
Without owner details, what can Beccles YS do about it? Surely it becomes a hazard with possible fuel leakage etc. 

On 01/01/2020 at 12:41, Jbx5 said:

Hopefully it can be rescued.

It won't be pretty. Immersion in river water does not do the interior any good.

Most hire cruisers that have been under tend to get at least a partial refit as the laminates will be done for. 

10 hours ago, Islander said:

Took this pic in August 2015. It needed some tlc even then.

image.thumb.jpeg.637b744d22288ad51a05a1fd77c70cb9.jpeg

Colin :default_winko:

Something for Cilit Bang to tackle may be??         Such a shame but lets face it it does not take long for a boat to go green and look unloved.    Wonder who the owner is,   if this is in the harbour, surely the powers that be down there would have contacted the owner,  he/she must be paying their dues.   The Toll Office would have his/her address.    Not rocket science.     The owner may be ill , it is such a shame.   Time for some of Iains    :6973434b8b31cd5effed88c7cbb2f1149d4af7_t:     kindness.