1, 2 Or 3

unclemike

when i was a lad sat lunch was always fish and chips,mum would send me to collect them with the instruction "dont get yesterdays chips reheated" they always were rubbish when  been through pan twice, darker brown instead of golden.

the question is this,if chips are cooked once why do chefs think we need twice cooked or triple cooked chips as on many menus these days, if an item is cooked how can you recook? to me this is reheating to save money by not throwing unsold food away but just reheating with a fancy name

if the are cooked properly first time chips are great , but twice or triple cooked  are not even proper chips, try selling those at your local chippy, have tried all three and prper ships cooked once as way above the rest, any menu now with twice or triple cooked doent't get my custom

I agree best park boiled,allow to cool.Fry at low temp.Finnish off at high temp.fluffly on the inside,crispy outside. Add a little sea salt lovely, but do so on the day.

From a chefs point of view it makes life easier. Therefore part boil early in the day,close to service fry at low temp.High temp to order.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

From a chefs point of view it makes life easier

thats the point, part cooking three times, to make life easier still doesnt produce a good chip, it produces a greasy tube with potato in .not even healthy eating, too much fat

4 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Whilst we’re on the subject of chips, what is so special about ‘hand-cut’ chips on a menu? Is there really any difference between chips cut by hand or chips cut by machine?

No not really it depends how many you are cooking for.If you are cooking for small numbers do so by hand.If you are cooking for hundreds best use a machine if possible. In the early part of my career all vegetables and potatoes were prepared by hand.Now lots of veg and spuds are pre peeled and ready to  use.It saves on time and labour.

54 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

No not really it depends how many you are cooking for.If you are cooking for small numbers do so by hand.If you are cooking for hundreds best use a machine if possible. In the early part of my career all vegetables and potatoes were prepared by hand.Now lots of veg and spuds are pre peeled and ready to  use.It saves on time and labour.

Thank you Ian. I feel pretty sure there is no difference in taste so I guess restaurateurs/chefs who use ‘hand-cut’ on their menus just want us to feel special!😁

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

Is there really any difference between chips cut by hand or chips cut by machine?

Less fingers in the machine cut, unless you like fingers Mrs V :default_norty:

The worst pub chips I ever had was in the White Horse at Chedgrave (not recently note). Fried to crunchiness and totally empty inside! Awful. As for chippy chips, the worst came from Potter (again not recently as I would never go in there again.) As Bridgestones do takeaway fish and chips, it’s a no-brainer. 

It takes all sorts, I suppose. I hate soggy chips, much preferring them to be crispy on the outside and soft/fluffy in the middle. In the good old days of having a chip pan, you cooked the chips until almost there over a medium heat and then removed the basket, cranked up the heat and, once the oil/dripping was very hot, plunged the basket back in until the chips were golden brown.  Having decommissioned my chip pan on the grounds that it was too much trouble, I either have oven chips, (not a patch on the real thing, but any port in a storm) or get them from the chippy.  What kills chips from the chip shop is wrapping them in paper, which traps steam and makes them soggy and unpleasant. I always insist on not having them wrapped and eat them as soon as I am out of the shop. My favourite outlets are the Chip Inn at Long Stratton, the Kingfisher at Walcott and the Chip Shop at Bacton. The last 2 have the benefit that you get a sea view while you are munching.  A good chippy will have two fryers for the chips set to around 160 and 180 Deg C. Sadly a lot now use part-cooked chips and only have one fryer set at the higher temperature.