Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

  • If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

    Forum Shop

SPEEDTRIPLE

Nbn Southern Meet.

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, D46 said:

In all honesty it's only the same level of work but on 2 different times of yr surely the team is big enough to cope

I make that twice the work and i don't think the events team is overly large.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, D46 said:

.....and the northern meeting has reduced in numbers of late .

Has it?

Sorry, I am too thick to be able to find old threads but I was under the impression the last couple of years had been bumper events?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seemed pretty busy to me when we were there :)

E228D030-84FE-4F03-BF0C-BF2C88289940.jpeg

8722E824-198F-4104-A371-4DCD6B2AC2B9.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Irrespective of official or unofficial , a gathering of likeminded individuals is always a pleasure and honour to a part of , perhaps a separate sticky thread of members intended cruises where if they wish they can advertise their intended itinerary may result in many more unofficial gatherings 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good idea CC , perhaps as he cruises all year round in company perhaps D46 could start such a list , many of us could then join him when able

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chameleon said:

good idea CC , perhaps as he cruises all year round in company perhaps D46 could start such a list , many of us could then join him when able

 

By all yr round I was referring to all the months of the yr rather than every day and not in company all the time and mostly with existing members of this forum one of whom is extremely well known to you all .

Yes I'm prepared to do a bit of work and gain a sense of the appeal of  low key informal gathering on the southern Broads , who knows that may also extend to the northern side given that one of my closest cruising friend's boat is based up there , give me a little time and I'll get things rolling with and informal gathering , now obviously in winter it's going to be very low figures , in summer though that's highly likely different .

Obviously there won't be a connection to the NBN as such , but members will know on the southern rivers where certain members are , a larger summer meet would be deliberately designed so as not to clash with popular meets or to clog up moorings in popular locations .

I'll create a thread soon to gauge the response which will obviously be credited to SpeedTriple who's idea it originally was to have a southern meet .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JanetAnne said:

Has it?

Sorry, I am too thick to be able to find old threads but I was under the impression the last couple of years had been bumper events?

Ok may be a bit off mark there but I don't see even with last year's cancelled NBN meet at beccles 3 meetings in the yr , something that's got me rather confused now , where exactly is this third meeting supposed to be ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an idea, but we visited The Ferry House back in September (if I remember correctly) and the pub was hosting a boat club meeting (hate to mention it in January, but it was their Christmas dinner).  They’d arranged reserved moorings and laid on a full Christmas menu for the members involved.  If there isn’t sufficient interest for a full meet, why not try to organise something along similar lines (although prefer not a Christmas dinner that far in advance of December).  Even with a few boats and their crews, it could be a way for some of us to get together and meet up.  There’s easy road access and good parking for anyone else who can’t get there by river.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent pub and at least you could get some decent beer. Maybe it wouldn't be too difficult to reserve moorings in winter. Not for me till next December though! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Just an idea, but we visited The Ferry House back in September (if I remember correctly) and the pub was hosting a boat club meeting (hate to mention it in January, but it was their Christmas dinner).  They’d arranged reserved moorings and laid on a full Christmas menu for the members involved.  If there isn’t sufficient interest for a full meet, why not try to organise something along similar lines (although prefer not a Christmas dinner that far in advance of December).  Even with a few boats and their crews, it could be a way for some of us to get together and meet up.  There’s easy road access and good parking for anyone else who can’t get there by river.

Been there when the oulton broad boat club were there.Agree with Howard,a great pub one of our favourite pubs on the river.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NBN Spring Meet is in it's current location in order to accommodate those attending by boat, both owners and hirers, as well as people attending who are camping at the venue and those requiring disabled access. The object is to give access to the event to as many members as possible. The dates were chosen to allow inexpensive boat hire and to allow families with children to attend. Year on year the event is increasingly popular and I'm looking forward to this years fun and games.

It would be wonderful to be able to just say 'we'll all meet here for an informal gathering'. Unfortunately any meeting or gathering under the auspices of the NBN organisation using the facilities of our organisation, be that the name, the website or Facebook group as a means of communication and coordination or any of our resources such as the marquees etc, whether described as an 'official' or 'unofficial' event for the benefit of our members would leave our organisation open to liability. Limiting that liability is part of my job as Chairman working with our insurers to ensure we follow all applicable legislation, rules, regulations, amendments and codicils that apply to our organisation and its events.

In order to comply with the terms of our insurance anyone organizing an event will have supplied their full name and address, details of relevant qualifications and have undergone a DBS check and safeguarding training to comply with safeguarding regulations. Before any event takes place written permissions, detailed plans, confirmation of notifications to authorities and a full risk assessment have been obtained, completed and submitted to the relevant authorities and our insurers.

It's a headache, a pain in the backside, takes a lot of time and effort but it has to be done. Members on the Events Committee work extremely hard to get the job done. There are no short cuts, particularly when I'm the chairman and it's my name on the dotted line. All of this is why the events team start planning the next event even while the current event is underway. 

I have no objection and would be pleased if members wish to look into the possibility of a meet on the Southern Broads in 2021. We have many members, both hirers and owners, who are based in the south. Many of us based in the North already attend the events of other organisations on the southern Broads in the summer and autumn...some of us take our time getting there and even longer getting back but save on fuel while doing it! However, potential locations will need to have  access for all members to the event and any and all legalities will have to be addressed.

Anyone wishing to volunteer to help organise an event on the Southern Broads, or indeed join in with the organisation for all NBN events please drop me a note via PM with your details and we can start the ball rolling.


 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Timbo said:

..some of us take our time getting there and even longer getting back but save on fuel while doing it! 

 

Don't worry, this year you are towing the rescue boat down!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timbo said:

The NBN Spring Meet is in it's current location in order to accommodate those attending by boat, both owners and hirers, as well as people attending who are camping at the venue and those requiring disabled access. The object is to give access to the event to as many members as possible. The dates were chosen to allow inexpensive boat hire and to allow families with children to attend. Year on year the event is increasingly popular and I'm looking forward to this years fun and games.

It would be wonderful to be able to just say 'we'll all meet here for an informal gathering'. Unfortunately any meeting or gathering under the auspices of the NBN organisation using the facilities of our organisation, be that the name, the website or Facebook group as a means of communication and coordination or any of our resources such as the marquees etc, whether described as an 'official' or 'unofficial' event for the benefit of our members would leave our organisation open to liability. Limiting that liability is part of my job as Chairman working with our insurers to ensure we follow all applicable legislation, rules, regulations, amendments and codicils that apply to our organisation and its events.

In order to comply with the terms of our insurance anyone organizing an event will have supplied their full name and address, details of relevant qualifications and have undergone a DBS check and safeguarding training to comply with safeguarding regulations. Before any event takes place written permissions, detailed plans, confirmation of notifications to authorities and a full risk assessment have been obtained, completed and submitted to the relevant authorities and our insurers.

It's a headache, a pain in the backside, takes a lot of time and effort but it has to be done. Members on the Events Committee work extremely hard to get the job done. There are no short cuts, particularly when I'm the chairman and it's my name on the dotted line. All of this is why the events team start planning the next event even while the current event is underway. 

I have no objection and would be pleased if members wish to look into the possibility of a meet on the Southern Broads in 2021. We have many members, both hirers and owners, who are based in the south. Many of us based in the North already attend the events of other organisations on the southern Broads in the summer and autumn...some of us take our time getting there and even longer getting back but save on fuel while doing it! However, potential locations will need to have  access for all members to the event and any and all legalities will have to be addressed.

Anyone wishing to volunteer to help organise an event on the Southern Broads, or indeed join in with the organisation for all NBN events please drop me a note via PM with your details and we can start the ball rolling.


 

I absolutely fail to see why an informal meeting has anything to do with the NBN or it's liability insurance , many folk on this forum already have such meetings organized amongst members .

It seams extremely obvious that the committee is dead against any such meeting having made it virtually impossible , it's remarkable that a member of the events team less than 24 hrs ago stated they had no objection to an informal meeting with no connection to the NBN, now it transpires any such meeting cannot even be mentioned in the forum .

As I said I totally fail to see how the NBN could possibly be in anyway held responsible regarding an unofficial meeting nor can I see any insurance claim ever being processed it simply wouldn't happen.

So in other words the message from the NBN committee is no you cannot organise a unofficial meeting on the forum in anyway at all , onless of cause you dance through hoops that we set before you .

On behalf of the members that showed interest in an unofficial meeting thank you very much .

It's of my opinion that the NBN will never hold a southern meeting the last 2 were cancelled and the 10th anniversary party moved from beccles which fits all the criteria regarding visiting by car or boat etc perfectly to salhouse .

As it's already been stated in yrs past with obviously a different committee such southern Broads meetings did exist and we're enjoyed by many .

Just remember those who moor on the southern side that work during the week on less on holiday would find it difficult if not impossible to get to a weekend meeting at salhouse and I feel the committee has seriously let down these members in failure to hold a southern side meeting unofficial or otherwise .

I'm completely stunned at the tone of this post I'm quoting as I fear  won't be alone in feeling it's a huge slap in the mouth to one area of the membership .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Timbo said:

It would be wonderful to be able to just say 'we'll all meet here for an informal gathering'. Unfortunately any meeting or gathering under the auspices of the NBN organisation using the facilities of our organisation, be that the name, the website or Facebook group as a means of communication

I have to say that, like D46, I find this astounding. So the thread on the forum "Anyone afloat this weekend" must no longer be allowed, I assume?

Please understand I don't doubt Timbo's sincerity for a moment but I just cannot understand this. Are we saying that one can no longer arrange to meet up on a public mooring and spend the evening having a chat with fellow boaters, without a risk assessment and safeguarding training - whatever that is?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, D46 said:

 . . . . . . .Just remember those who moor on the southern side that work during the week on less on holiday would find it difficult if not impossible to get to a weekend meeting at salhouse . . . . . . . .

My feelings exactly.  For us to get to Salhouse for the meet from our moorings at Brundall, we’d need to cross Breydon on Friday and cross back on Sunday - not a particularly restful weekend and quite expensive for fuel, too.  As it happens, the tide times are quite favourable this year, so if I can get the required annual leave for Friday and Monday, it’s not out of the question, but a meet on the southern rivers, even informal for a meal at a pub with some other like minded members would be an opportunity to put names to faces without the lengthy cruise.

Sad that this cannot be facilitated.

34 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I have to say that, like D46, I find this astounding. So the thread on the forum "Anyone afloat this weekend" must no longer be allowed, I assume?

I take it that the thread in question will now be locked.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My evenings in the pub are always fully risk assessed beforehand and I go in the safe knowledge that IT WILL GO WRONG!

Safeguarding is when the landlord/landlady says "no mate you've had enough already".

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Fireman Sam does a risk assessment of the walls on his route back. :default_norty:

5 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Safeguarding is when the landlord/landlady says "no mate you've had enough already".

I can relate to that! 

Seriously though the key word I suspect is "organise"

If Fireman Sam meets up with MM for a pint or 7 that's fine. If I announced on the Forum that I'm moored at the Ferry and does anyone fancy a beer, that's OK I suspect. If I say on the Forum that I'm organising a meet at the Ferry that could be different. 

In today's litigious society I can see the Chairman's view. 

One of his posts I did actually understand  :default_biggrin:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

 . . . . . . .Seriously though the key word I suspect is "organise"

If Fireman Sam meets up with MM for a pint or 7 that's fine. If I announced on the Forum that I'm moored at the Ferry and does anyone fancy a beer, that's OK I suspect. If I say on the Forum that I'm organising a meet at the Ferry that could be different. . . . . . . 

So how does Fireman Sam arrange to meet up with MM, if no contact through the Forum is permitted?  Even sending a message to say ‘I’ll be at the ***** ***** on Saturday evening, might see you there’ now appears to be breaking the rules.  

I’ve seen Boycie’s boat moored outside The Ferry House before now, but as I haven’t met him and don’t know what he looks like, I’d feel a bit of a plum walking round the pub and beer garden asking “are you Boycie?”

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, D46 said:

I absolutely fail to see why an informal meeting has anything to do with the NBN or it's liability insurance , many folk on this forum already have such meetings organized amongst members .

Read the post again, no-one has said that. Official, informal. If i meet up with three other members and organise it by email, that is informal, no problem.

It has been happening like that for years.

If I post on a thread and say lets have a meet up and anyone who wants me to book a mooring sign up here, that becomes an offucial meeting with potential liabilities for us all.

Talk about mountains and molehills.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Even sending a message to say ‘I’ll be at the ***** ***** on Saturday evening, might see you there’ now appears to be breaking the rules.  

 

4 hours ago, Timbo said:

Unfortunately any meeting or gathering under the auspices of the NBN organisation using the facilities of our organisation, be that the name, the website or Facebook group as a means of communication and coordination or any of our resources such as the marquees etc, whether described as an 'official' or 'unofficial' event for the benefit of our members would leave our organisation open to liability.

No mention of private messages just not sign up threads.

If i say I am going to be at The Ferry House on saturday, message me if you want to join me, that is an informal get together. I don't see a problem with that. I am sure Timbo will correct me if I am wrong.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few Southern meets would be good for those of us down South! For one raft up in the North Bay at Oulton Broad and the local ferry service will run you ashore for a barby. Alternatively a trip onto Lake Lothing, a very nice marina and restaurant  available. So many ideas! It only takes two boats to make a meet!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

’ve seen Boycie’s boat moored outside The Ferry House before now, but as I haven’t met him and don’t know what he looks like, I’d feel a bit of a plum walking round the pub and beer garden asking “are you Boycie?

I believe that Sonia knows him so you could ask behind the bar 

Or give him a knock on his boat!

The Fireman Sam and MM encounter was mentioned on open (well members) and I suspect PM's were exchanged. 

But I would reiterate - I think the word organise is the key

I'm always happy to meet any member for a beer but I'm not going to lose sleep over it :default_biggrin:

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

 

No mention of private messages just not sign up threads.

If i say I am going to be at The Ferry House on saturday, message me if you want to join me, that is an informal get together. I don't see a problem with that. I am sure Timbo will correct me if I am wrong.

 

That's still using the forums network do exactly the same !!

 

8 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I believe that Sonia knows him so you could ask behind the bar 

Or give him a knock on his boat!

The Fireman Sam and MM encounter was mentioned on open (well members) and I suspect PM's were exchanged. 

But I would reiterate - I think the word organise is the key

I'm always happy to meet any member for a beer but I'm not going to lose sleep over it :default_biggrin:

Does Sonya know his forum name ???? How is she going to make the connection between who she knows as say for instance someone named Paul and their forum name ,?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question is this apparently new rule actually in the list of rules ?? I'm not aware of it otherwise I would have hardly surgested creating a meet up thread ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • NBN Mobile App

    Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

    Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.