Road Works 2020

TheQ

local to me  in the nearby town of Ashford they have an area of road, that is designated as pedestrian and vehicle access, pedestrians dont know when they have right of way, neither do the cars, and best of all, the only signs to tell you anything just say its a 20 zone, and yes the pedestrian crossings are just deliniated by slightly different color bricks

ashford.JPG

• Like 1

Which contravenes this..

Rules for Drivers

Approaching a Zebra cosssing is made aware of the crossing because of its black and white poles with flashing yellow beacons and zig-zag road markings. ...

(Yes I know the English is awful, I just copied it..)

A bit like Norwich's Cycling Zebra Crossings, no such thing according to the highway code..

Meanwhile having , gone a different way last night , I found having blocked of part of the NDR with roadworks, they've blocked of the equivalent part of the old ring road /boundary rd just outside of the ATC huts.. good planning that..

apparently its a shared space with equal rights for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists, and is unsigned

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-16137988 clearly intimates that pedestrians dont feel safe with the arrangement

and guess what it was an architects idea 

Ben Hamilton-Baille, the architect behind the scheme, said the point of the shared space was so that pedestrians and drivers interacted and negotiated for space and right of way.

pedestrians and drivers interacting and negotiating rights of way, I wonder who ever thought that would work, that makes the pavements crossing over the juctions seem insignificant as both clearly dont make the right of way clear for anyone, which surely makes a mockery of the highway code.

12 years to come to the conclusion that pedestrians don’t like a ‘shared’ space. Not bad going! Pedestrians, after all, are always going to come off worst in the event of a mishap. I have never heard of any accidents in that area but I feel sure there must have been one or two near misses over the years. I have only once driven there and I was terrified of a pedestrian walking out in front of me without looking, eyes glued to a mobile phone of course! So I guess the concept has its merits but still leaves people, both in vehicles and on foot, uncomfortable in its use. 

We've had a shared space in Felixstowe for something like ten years - the main shopping street and pedestrian route from the railway station to the seafront and its a 'kin nightmare! Hardly a week goes by without some form of coming together, I've found the best way to negotiate it is at under 10 mph,all lights on and window down to facilitate gay badinage with fellow 'sharers'.

The NDR / Coltishall road road works have gone, having been there for a few days, causing chaos. The only people I saw working were those putting out the signs. I can't see any work has been done to the roundabout.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any web sites they would recommend for traffic information?

I used to always use the local BBC pages but a long while ago now they stopped their traffic service. And whilst you can check routes and journey times on Google maps, I've never found another site that comes close to the excellent service that the BBC used to provide.

10 hours ago, SwanR said:

Does anyone have any web sites they would recommend for traffic information?

I used to always use the local BBC pages but a long while ago now they stopped their traffic service. And whilst you can check routes and journey times on Google maps, I've never found another site that comes close to the excellent service that the BBC used to provide.

I use Highways England on my smartphone. Covers all planned roadworks and incidents plus anticipated clearance times for the latter.

• Thanks 1

The M&GN line from Stalham to Potter Heigham now has 2 sets of road works on it..

That is, one set of traffic light works is outside Richardsons yard at Stalham on the A149 working it's way towards Stalham, the other set is now halfway between  Sutton Staithe and Catfield working it's way towards Catfield..

• 3 weeks later...

Norwich-Wroxham road,

They're taking up The cats eyes between the green man and the far end of the long straight.  

This is normally in preparation to resurface,  expect traffic lights and delays.. 

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I don’t know about anybody else but I appreciate TheQ’s updates on roadworks around the Broads - thank you Q. Please don’t stop! 

Fully agree. So helpful to get updates like this. :)

On 21/02/2020 at 07:34, vanessan said:

I use Highways England on my smartphone. Covers all planned roadworks and incidents plus anticipated clearance times for the latter.

Web address is www.traficengland.com  .  Google maps with the traffic overlay is also very good.  Our satnav is a Tomtom with live traffic information is usually accurate and in the event of delays, offers alternative route information.

All three will be much more up to date than the BBC, that usually reports traffic formation when you’re already in it.

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 16:53, TheQ said:

Norwich-Wroxham road,

They're taking up The cats eyes between the green man and the far end of the long straight.  

This is normally in preparation to resurface,  expect traffic lights and delays.. 

And outside Sprowston Manor - so if coming from Norwich to Stalham that could be three sets of lights !

OK then the Norwich - Wroxham - Stalham  - Catfield  road.. Adding to what others and I have said. 

Traffic jams from the brickmakers round about half way to the next roundabout,   at the junction that all the kids come out of,  there are 3 way lights but no obvious signs of work.

From the park and ride round about to the top of the slope down to the NDR,  no cats eyes. Expect road resurfacing 

From the green man to the end of the long straight  no cats eyes. Expect road resurfacing. 

Just beyond the Barton turf junction the road works have been done, but there  are new signs all the way to the dilham junction the signs which when turned over say traffic, in convoys,  20mph.

The traffic lights for the water works,  are very close to Stalham at one end.  The other set should reach catfield this week.. 

I think they trying to self isolate north  Norfolk..