Nice And Easy Sleeps Six

woodwose

Hi All. I wonder if anyone has any old Blakes Catalogues from the mid 1960s?

The reason I ask is because at tonight's meeting of the Ludham Archive Group we were having short presentations on the subject of "My First Job". Quite a few people told stories of their first experiences in the world of work.

Now, one lady in particular told us about her first job which was at what is now Ludham Bridge Stores where she sold postcards, maggots etc. The owners of the stores also had bought the boatyard opposite (Ludham Bridge Boatyard) and had some hire boats on offer. One day, they were preparing publicity photographs for the catalogue (she is fairly sure it was Blakes). She was asked if she would come along and be in the photos. So she put on her bikini and posed on the deck of the boats for photographs which were subsequently published in the brochure. This was OK but the boats had rather unfortunate names and she found a photo of herself in the brochure with the title "Nice and Easy sleeps Six" underneath.

What we would really like to do is to find a copy of the picture.

Is there anyone out there who can help?

Thanks in anticipation.

Nigel (Ludham Community Archive Group)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Don't forget Peter back in the 60s and 70s, boats such as Elysian 27s, Seamaster 25 and 27s were often rated for 4-5 berths, with cockpit bench seat being the 5th Berth. Also, a lot boats based on the Bourne 30 Hull had centre saloons and were 6 berth, 5th and 6th being on the saloon settee. 

Thank you all for the replies and the helpful research. I guess memory plays tricks down the years and the story was not quite correct as I put it. However, I can say for certain that the picture of the brochure in RS2021's post is the correct one. That is certainly her and she also mentioned (but I did not put in my post) was that her bikini was yellow.

The next meeting is in 2 weeks and I will put that photo up on the big screen for all to see.

Thanks again.

Nigel (Webmaster, Ludham Community Archive Group)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Don't forget Peter back in the 60s and 70s, boats such as Elysian 27s, Seamaster 25 and 27s were often rated for 4-5 berths, with cockpit bench seat being the 5th Berth. Also, a lot boats based on the Bourne 30 Hull had centre saloons and were 6 berth, 5th and 6th being on the saloon settee. 

I can confirm that - my introduction to Broads stink pottering was in '70 on Miss Mystic from Maidencraft. Two couples on a Seamaster Cadet 24, it was very snug! But sowed the seed for where I've ended up now.

• Like 3