Ludham Bridge, What Do You Think?

JennyMorgan

14 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Points raised elsewhere include the fact that there is no real indication that there is a need for further holiday lets in that particular area. Call me cynical if you wish, but it was also pointed out that if the letting idea failed, after 12 months application could be made to change the designation to residential which would hugely inflate the value!

. . . and the purchasers would soon be complaining about the nuisance of boats coming and going and engines running.

I see on Woodwose's pic that water was free . . . those were the days.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, batrabill said:

I live in Ludham and was dissapointed that the Parish Council came out against it. 

There's a fine line between "character" and being a dump. In my view Ludham Bridge is a bit of dump and the development seems a sensible way to proceed. Change is the law of life.

I completely support CambridgeCabby's view.

Now that is a surprise, also its not just the council  there does seem to be genuine environmental issues raised by various departments and neighbours, don't think anyone is saying there shouldn't be any development just questioning the impact from the design issues as they stand.

Fred

31 minutes ago, webntweb said:

and the purchasers would soon be complaining about the nuisance of boats coming and going and engines running.

That's actually a very good point, I can easily imagine that happening. It's like people buying luxury flats next to pubs which have been there for 100 years and complaining about the noise. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

That's actually a very good point, I can easily imagine that happening. It's like people buying luxury flats next to pubs which have been there for 100 years and complaining about the noise. 

Church bells and roosters come to mind too! (I thought very carefully about what to type there as I’m sure there would have been a comment from a certain quarter!) 

2 hours ago, Ray said:

What a great spot for a new web can too, web traffic for the owner and a nice fix for those not afloat.

You can become quite attached to a good diesel thrum :default_biggrin:

I have to admit that I do quite like a decent engine thrum but not when it’s at too fast a tickover!!

• Like 1

So now would be a good time to document the old place for the history books. Every detail including interviews with old employees, customers etc recorded on modern, high quality media. Then it will live for ever.

The new design doesn't look too bad at all IMO. Better than these someone prepared earlier, 1960's: https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/emsworth/304690 Hope that's ok, being an advert?

I would just hope the materials weather evenly in the long term.

I remember them, I stayed nearby for six or so months when they were practically new. I hardly dare admit it now but I rather liked them, a practical solution in areas subject to potential flooding. Because of the flat roofs the height of the roofline is not excessive. Maybe something on those lines at Acle Bridge? (Seriously!)

10 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I can recall seeing a few properties around the Broads on stilts but it seems unusual to plan them as high as they look in the diagram. Is the Ant liable to flood that badly?

I certainly hope not, given the amount of dosh that has just been spent on improving the flood defences along that stretch of the river!

• Like 2

The stilt height of a number of modern homes on Oulton Broad and Gorleston, for example, appears to be based not so much on potential flood levels but on making the space below the ground floor usable as a garage or whatever. Effectively the downstairs is designed to flood yet it remains as a useful space. Hope that that makes sense!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The stilt height of a number of modern homes on Oulton Broad and Gorleston, for example, appears to be based not so much on potential flood levels but on making the space below the ground floor usable as a garage or whatever. Effectively the downstairs is designed to flood yet it remains as a useful space. Hope that that makes sense!

Only if you've got an amphibious car :default_biggrin:

• Haha 2