Winter Hire

NorfolkNog

Just noticed an item elsewhere indicating that Faircraft Loynes are stopping winter Hire. Sad news indeed and I think they are missing out on at least some income in the winter. Mind you I don't suppose Let Funnell needs the money!! I have hired from them in the past but a bit expensive for this impecunious Yorkshireman. 

Thanks for the lovely folks at Bridgecraft who are happy to hire to me!!!! 

• Like 4

And in contrast Ferry seem to have started!!

I think the yards find it quite disrupting - they still have to provide breakdown cover, and when the boats go out, there are dewinterised, and winterised when they come back. They also have a planning process whereby boats are taken through the sheds for overhaul and this all has to be fitted in. I suspect Len is of the view it is just uneconomic, which it probably is!!

Cannot believe in reality if it is worth the effort, or not!

• Like 1

For a big yard like FL possibly not. But Bridgecraft seem happy enough. They can only have one boat out at a time so they simply leave the one they hire to me to be done later. I'm not aware it's an issue. I've never called them out in winter either. Otherwise the boat would be sitting there doing nothing. Bridgecraft seem happy enough with the arrangement. If I had the money I'd have my own boat but until the lottery comes up thank goodness at least one yard is prepared to do it! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

For a big yard like FL possibly not. But Bridgecraft seem happy enough. They can only have one boat out at a time so they simply leave the one they hire to me to be done later. I'm not aware it's an issue. I've never called them out in winter either. Otherwise the boat would be sitting there doing nothing. Bridgecraft seem happy enough with the arrangement. If I had the money I'd have my own boat but until the lottery comes up thank goodness at least one yard is prepared to do it! 

If I had the money I'd still hire, it'd be nice to try different top of the range boats on a regular basis, each to their own though. :12_slight_smile:

1 hour ago, marshman said:

3 at least!  Ferry, HW and Bridgecraft so far..!!

On the northern broads but what about the southern side ????.

Sometimes I think people forget that the southern rivers exist , and yet the city of Norwich is actually on a southern Broads River :default_biggrin:

I've checked out a number of the yards on the south D46 and they don't seem to hire out in the winter. I had thought maybe Waveney River Centre would given that Ferry Marina have changed their ways. But no luck. I love the southern rivers and want to get back at some point but can't get a boat that suits us at a price that suits us.

Ah well ... I'm going to keep that Christmas boat hire on my wishlist. Ooops ... did I mention the C Word after 12th night? Where's Jay when I need him. :default_eusa_dance:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

I've checked out a number of the yards on the south D46 and they don't seem to hire out in the winter. I had thought maybe Waveney River Centre would given that Ferry Marina have changed their ways. But no luck. I love the southern rivers and want to get back at some point but can't get a boat that suits us at a price that suits us.

Ah well ... I'm going to keep that Christmas boat hire on my wishlist. Ooops ... did I mention the C Word after 12th night? Where's Jay when I need him. :default_eusa_dance:

RE the boat that suits, what type of boat, there is still a lot of choice from 6 yards. 

56 minutes ago, Boatingman said:

To my knowledge there are no other southern river yards hiring over the winter months

Not since Swancraft stopped hiring. :default_crying1animated: :default_crying1animated:

I think Freedom do/did but with a caveat that prevented crossing Breydon. Herbert Woods don't hire in either December or January. I don't know the situation with Ferry although I suspect they would be a bit out of my budget range. At the moment while Bridgecraft are prepared to do it, I'll keep hiring from them.

I think smaller yards are generally prepared to be more flexible and I think it helps if they know you too.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

We like it that way.

Well I can't really disagree as in River traffic in winter and available moorings etc but I do wish that certain folk remembered that the broads don't end at Yarmouth , it's not good for the infastructure down south be that pubs , hire yards or indeed anything else .

• Like 2

Ever since I've been boating,have traveled over all the broads. We are based in Brundall.Tend to weekend on the south, go north on longer trips.The south is often not as busy.Its often said that northern yards discourage people heading south.My advice is, if your new to boating gain some confidence first,but travel as much of the broads as possible. As been said over the years for a number of yards have closed sadly.Winter boating think it's a balance for yards,do they want to have some boats available or not.As a boat owner we put the boat to bed over the winter (dont like the ).The broads as many know is great whatever time of the year.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

RE the boat that suits, what type of boat, there is still a lot of choice from 6 yards. 

We are quite particular. Preferably a boat with bow thrusters as there is only ever the two of us on board so it just makes arriving and departing the moorings easier and more secure. I can do it without but prefer knowing I’ve got the backup. 

But an absolute must for us is an island bed. My other half is 6’4 so any kind of fixed length bed that you can’t hang your feet off doesn’t work for us. This does considerably reduce the number of boats that we can hire. And it is why we are such fans of the ex-Swancraft fleet. Such great boats for two people hiring at a reasonable price. Just such a shame that they’re not based on the South anymore. 

Might look at the Broom Captain eventually or the boats WRC are offering but they all come at a price. Plus I like the go anywhere air draft of the bathtubs. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Boatingman said:

I think a !ot of hirers take short breaks these days with the main yards based in Stalham,Wroxham and. Horning combined with tides over Breydon it makes North to South trips very difficult 

Personally,  I dont see why.  There is plenty of information available regarding tide times and the Aweigh app is particularly  useful in that respect.  Take your time, follow the instructions and crossing Breydon is no more difficult than crossing Barton Broad.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Personally,  I dont see why.  There is plenty of information available regarding tide times and the Aweigh app is particularly  useful in that respect.  Take your time, follow the instructions and crossing Breydon is no more difficult than crossing Barton Broad.  

I do take over boat Friday PM cross Breydon Saturday return across Breydon Sunday hand boat back Monday AM dosnt seem appealing to me.

Fred

• Like 2

True, we tend to look at the tide tables before booking with Bridgecraft so our holiday dates can shift by a week or so. Even in December we can usually get 4 days down South. Mooring at Acle or Stokesby overnight helps to make best use of the time. We tend to set off as soon as it gets light. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

I do take over boat Friday PM cross Breydon Saturday return across Breydon Sunday hand boat back Monday AM dosnt seem appealing to me.

Fred

The point was more to do with difficulties crossing Breydon, rather than on a weekend hire.  I do realise that it would be difficult on a short break, however to me, at least, crossing Breydon is no more difficult than crossing Barton Broad as long as you take note of the tides.

• Like 1

as the boats i hire fit under Potter Heigham Bridge, I can normally (except extremely high tides - and then I wouldnt be getting under Potter Heigham) get under the bridges at Great Yarmouth at any tide state, assuming of course I dont mind punching the tide in one direction or the other either to get to Breydon or crossing it, - with the attendant extra fuel use involved.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SwanR said:

We are quite particular. Preferably a boat with bow thrusters as there is only ever the two of us on board so it just makes arriving and departing the moorings easier and more secure. I can do it without but prefer knowing I’ve got the backup. 

But an absolute must for us is an island bed. My other half is 6’4 so any kind of fixed length bed that you can’t hang your feet off doesn’t work for us. This does considerably reduce the number of boats that we can hire. And it is why we are such fans of the ex-Swancraft fleet. Such great boats for two people hiring at a reasonable price. Just such a shame that they’re not based on the South anymore. 

Might look at the Broom Captain eventually or the boats WRC are offering but they all come at a price. Plus I like the go anywhere air draft of the bathtubs. 

Hi Jean, 

Try looking at Silver line, I think they have an alpha 29 ctr ckpt with an island bed in the fwd cabin. I think it's called Silver Myth or Mystique. 

• Thanks 1

Silver Myth looks like a lovely boat for 2. Island bed, as Speedtriple pointed out, plus bow thruster and 240v. The only thing that put me off Silverline when we were hiring was the higher than normal pet charge. If you don't have a dog their boats look ideal. I don't think pets are allowed on Silver Myth anyway. When we last had a week on Moonlight Shadow late August I couldn't help thinking that the Silverline fleet looked very well maintained.

Helen

• Thanks 1