Trailer Alarm

ExSurveyor

After recommendations for an affordable self contained alarm to fit to my Broom scorpio whilst it on my drive over winter.

I have hitch locks and outboard locks but would prefer a movement type alarm as well.

The idea was to keep it in a recently refurbished and upgraded  garage I have nearby, problem is the boat and trailer is 12" longer than the garage.

Measure twice and all that :default_dunce:

• Sad 1

When I had a similar problem I found that the engine on full lock and the trailer angled across the garage sort of corner to corner bought me enough to get the hitch in and the door shut. 

Not sure it's worth 12 inches but maybe with the hitch off as well...?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

When I had a similar problem I found that the engine on full lock and the trailer angled across the garage sort of corner to corner bought me enough to get the hitch in and the door shut. 

Not sure it's worth 12 inches but maybe with the hitch off as well...?

Thats what I need, thinking outside the garage :default_rofl:

Lots of oil should get the hitch off, sadly the garage is a silly little one, barely 8' wide so no room to angle the trailer and the measurement was with the engine lowered and turned.

I need to check with the insurance as they require a hitch lock although i can fit it through one of the hitch bolt holes.

Looks like it will be sitting on the drive, currently barricaded by cars.

• 4 months later...

Digging this thread up, I've just fitted a new PIR alarm to the boat - very impressed. It will sound @ 130db and then proceed to call / text me and up to two others. And less than £100.  Some of the optional extras I could add may get fitted later such as a masthead alarm / light - that'd get attention !

Just need to finalise my reaction plan if it goes off

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RumPunch said:

Digging this thread up, I've just fitted a new PIR alarm to the boat - very impressed. It will sound @ 130db and then proceed to call / text me and up to two others. And less than £100.  Some of the optional extras I could add may get fitted later such as a masthead alarm / light - that'd get attention !

Better not go off when I’m in the boatyard! :default_norty:

3 hours ago, RumPunch said:

Should be good for scaring the cats away.. Neighbours might complain though..

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Should be good for scaring the cats away.. Neighbours might complain though..

It's been on a week so far and no false alarms. As the season goes on, if it stays behaved, I may consider the upgrades.  As it is, you can silence if from home on your mobile

5 hours ago, RumPunch said:

Needs to go off automatically after 30 seconds or so; after the burglar has cr*pped himself and legged it. Any repetition of the noise is just a nuisance and that's why most of us ignore them. I have a wi-fi camera which cam be triggered to record.

I can recommend  'My reaction plan' a Miroku 12g :default_norty: Just the sight of one of these tends to focus the mind somewhat

Works for me, although to be fair not had to use it - Yet!

I agree with a previous post, best alarm / deterrent for any abode is the tremendous hearing capabilities and built in audible protection mode of our canine friends.  We are currently without but not for too much longer :55c8f94984577_default_AnimatedGifDogs(127):

Griff

16 hours ago, floydraser said:

Needs to go off automatically after 30 seconds or so; after the burglar has cr*pped himself and legged it. Any repetition of the noise is just a nuisance and that's why most of us ignore them. I have a wi-fi camera which cam be triggered to record.

It does.

27 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

'My reaction plan' a Miroku 12g :default_norty: Just the sight of one of these tends to focus the mind somewhat

Now, My guess is that the Miroku 12g is an over and under.

I know that there is no logic to this but I would find a side by side far more intimidating.

• Like 1

I remember many years ago when we had a small incident of a drunken prowler who had found his way over the railway bridge onto the island and my father, having disturbed him, allowed him to spend the night on one of the hire boats before clearing off in the morning.

For a little while afterwards, he kept one of his Purdeys loaded in the bedroom. This worried my mother far more than anyone else as she knew very well he would not hesitate to use it!

14 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

For a little while afterwards, he kept one of his Purdeys loaded in the bedroom. This worried my mother far more than anyone else as she knew very well he would not hesitate to use it!

Could have been you mate, coming home at silly o'clock. That's why mother would have been worried.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Purdeys?  Note the 'S'

Actually there is a story behind those guns. They were left to my father in the will of a great friend of his in Coastal Forces who was killed in action in the North Sea, off the Frisian coast.

They were by Henry Atkin, who was one of Purdeys' senior gunmakers before the war. They were not a "matched pair" as they had been made specially for grouse shooting. The No 1 gun had plain barrels, for taking birds as they flew toward the hides. You then swopped the guns with the loader and the No 2 had both barrels with 3/4 choke, to take birds at a distance as they flew over.

Father always used the No 2 gun as it was great for taking high pheasants on Norfolk shoots but he liked the No 1 gun for duck shooting, which is much closer.

We sold them when he got into old age but they weren't worth a lot. They were very well used by then, although the No 1 gun had been re-sleeved by Darlows in Norwich. It seemed that they weren't "collectable" as the barrels were 3 inches too long (so it seemed) and they were not nitro proofed. They were still only black powder proofed, after all those years that my father had used them!

They were lovely guns though, and I used them myself in later years.

• Like 2