As Seen On Youtube, Broads & Non Broads.

Paul

In light of a recent thread and the number of people who use YouTube I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where people can link and share anything they find interesting, be it on YouTube or similar sites. I am but a plebeian member and have no control on what you post, but might I suggest that boats hitting bridges or videos aimed at belittling or ridiculing other do not really belong here? 

If you vlog your Broads holidays, maybe you would like to link those here?

• Like 7

I like this vlog from Cruising the cut, mainly because he’s very complementary about the section of canal that borders the area of Milton Keynes where we live (14.20 to 15.10 into the vlog). Like the way he says how scenic it is and how the planners made the canal a feature of Milton Keynes. We love our walks along the canal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I like this vlog from Cruising the cut, mainly because he’s very complementary about the section of canal that borders the area of Milton Keynes where we live (14.20 to 15.10 into the vlog). Like the way he says how scenic it is and how the planners made the canal a feature of Milton Keynes. We love our walks along the canal.

I worked at Wolverton rail depot where i was fitting out trains. I only worked there for a month, hated the place. The Canal went around behind the place, and looked like a rubbish dump. Then a little way up the road to the Stoke Bruern  museum, and it was really beautiful.

Me flying our club's 20m wingspan glider a few years ago...  The guy in the backseat (whose son was learning with us) is an airline captain with whom I had a cockpit ride in a CRJ from Hamburg to Manchester many years previously.  Before take-off I dumped my camcorder in his hands & said "film"...  Please forgive my attempts to speak German...

23 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Probably my favourite canal vloggers. They always put a video up at 4.00pm on a Friday. Informative and great quality

I have those on my subscription list too, along with Acorn to Arabella (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiDWnTP0WB1xCp6uuUo0VA) and Tally ho ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lYeV8hBnDSay7nmphUA) which are wooden boatbuilding vlogs.

I also watch a lot of other building and restoration channels that mainly deal with restoring old tools and mechanisms.

• Like 1

In the 1980s and 1990s we had 5 wonderful holidays on houseboats on the River Murray in Australia. The houseboats, like our Broads boats, have got more plush as the years have gone on but the clip above is not very different from the last one we hired. The Murray is a diverse and interesting river some 1,500 miles long and providing some truly breathtaking scenery. Wonderful holidays but they didn’t change my love of the Broads one bit! 

• Like 2

I have two favourite Broads channels. Firstly, Russell Thomson's "Admiral's Adventures. Be warned, even at an average of 2 hours per episode it's very addictive. I met Russell and enjoyed a drink with him last September. 

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC6FiLsEUtcp1kYCADtL-Qgw

Secondly, Dave Whitworth, another serial vlogger of a very different style to Russell but very entertaining. 

https://m.youtube.com/user/dwhittyone2

• Like 3

the moderation team would like to remind people that any youtube videos posted should conform to the terms of service for the forum, particularly the no naming and shaming clause or details of what a crew are doing wrongly.

I would also like to remind users that although we all love to see drone footage of the broads, that this should comply with the drone regulations and the guidelines given by the Broads Authority and others, links to which can be found here -https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/handy-information/drones-and-their-usage/

videos posted that are deemed to have contravened any of the above may be removed without warning as although they are embedded from an outside source the forum is still liable for their content should it contravene any of the myriad regulations that govern this source.

many thanks

The NBN Moderation Team

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Most of my favourite channels have already been covered, and some of them are ones that I had picked up through previous recommendations on the forum.

I love Foxes Afloat and sometimes leave them a comment once I've watched their weekly offering. Colin used to be a radio presenter so it's not surprising that he is very good at having researched lots of facts and presents things really well. He puts a lot of hard work into producing their vlogs.

Simon, a Bloke in the Woods is another one that I started watching for his vlogs canoeing on the Broads and associated rivers. But I've come to really enjoy the ones where he is out camping or practising survival techniques.

The Admiral (Russell Thomson) can be quite amusing. But I do love Dave Whitworth's recent videos, very funny.

Finally for now we discovered a channel called Floating Our Boat. It's a couple who sold their house and bought a narrowboat plus a cottage to use as a holiday let for some income. They're a similar kind of age to me probably, so it's been fascinating to watch their first 18 months or so and see how it has worked, becoming continuous cruisers. We binge watched all their videos through December, finally catching them up on New Year's Eve!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, SwanR said:

I do love Dave Whitworth's recent videos, very funny.

Indeed Jean. I love watching the way he reacts to his wife "video bombing", as he calls it. I also like the way Russell and Dave mimic each other's phrases, with Russell quoting "checking the water levels" and Dave talking about "a wee update".

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

one of my youtube favorites has just put himself on quarantine, he was at a conference in las vegas, by the time he left there had been 10 cases reported (there were none when he arrived for the conference) and 3 of them were in restaurants he had visited, so when he started showing signs of the symptoms, he quarantined himself in his workshop, he is lucky though as he has 26 acres of land to self isolate on, plus he is a ggod ol country boy and has all the survival gear, and had just stocked up all the cupboards for tornado season. (the only thing he is regretting is that he didnt build a toilet on the workshop, so has had to resort to camping facilities until he can build a proper privvy)

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/01/2020 at 22:50, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I worked at Wolverton rail depot where i was fitting out trains. I only worked there for a month, hated the place. . . . . . . .

So did I . . . . . . . . . . . work there and hate the place.  Was there from 1980 - 1987.  When I moved to Milton Keynes from London in 1977, I used to drive past the place at clocking out time and look at the staff leaving the place and thought that I’d never work in a place like that and ended up doing a seven year stretch there.  At its peak, about five thousand were  employed there but by the time I left, the number had reduced to about 2000.  Notice I said employed and not worked - there is a difference!

My Mam worked for British Rail/Sealink (well, so did I for a while) and she used to say something similar (she said that some of her colleagues were busy killing the golden egg). With BR I found there were some really lazy managers, and there were some people below them who were just exploiting that. But, on the other hand I worked with a lot of people ‘on the coal face’ that loved the industry and gave it their all.

I believe that British Rail in the early 80s was still a fairly caring organisation. When I left Uni and was struggling to find work I got offered a temporary job and so did a friend of mine, at a time when there weren’t that many jobs available (Holyhead got badged the most economically depressed place in the UK). The common thread is that both of us had lost our Dads when we were children through industrial accidents with BR. Nowadays, equal opps would rule out that type of preferment.

Incidentally, that’s how we ended up in Milton Keynes. Graham got a teaching job in Bletchley, having looked for jobs near the railway network, so that I could apply for transfer. For the first few years of our marriage I worked in Bletchley Station ticket office.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

My Mam worked for British Rail/Sealink (well, so did I for a while)

My dad moved over to the ferries while they were still british rail, in some form of work study, working his way up through to Ports Manager (assistant to the CEO) and he relates similar tales about some of the management, even kicking one senior manager out of a borrowed office when he was doing job interviews and was treating candidates badly. he did at one stage do some time and motion work at holyhead and the dublin end of the route.

• Like 1