Brundall Church Fen

D46

Now I am confused! Has something changed where Church Fen is concerned as this is what was said (by the OP I believe) back in 2017:

“church fen is a little different as in half is parish Mooring's and half BA and the same applies as Rockland if you pay a nominal sum to the parish then you can stay longer than 24 hrs”

I thought that was very useful information but now it seems that Brundall Gardens Marina might be responsible for the moorings. Clarification would certainly be welcome. 

I understand that, no probs. My question is why should you be able to ‘pay a nominal sum to the parish’ and then be free to stay longer than 24 hours? (If it is indeed managed or maintained by BGM.) That’s what I think should be clarified as it comes across as being a fact. 

I think these jointly maintained/owned/managed moorings need some sort of signage to distinguish what’s what. Neither Church Fen nor Postwick Viaduct have any signage to guide people. Most of us on the forum know which moorings are ‘shared’ but newbies and many others don’t. Mostly that doesn’t cause any problems, unless anglers become involved of course! :default_norty:Irstead is another one that comes to mind. 

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

Now I am confused! Has something changed where Church Fen is concerned as this is what was said (by the OP I believe) back in 2017:

“church fen is a little different as in half is parish Mooring's and half BA and the same applies as Rockland if you pay a nominal sum to the parish then you can stay longer than 24 hrs”

I thought that was very useful information but now it seems that Brundall Gardens Marina might be responsible for the moorings. Clarification would certainly be welcome. 

Your confused ? Not half as much as me , can you explain how I posted that statement in 2017 when I didn't become a member until 2019 ? what grounds could you possibly have for thinking that ? , I may well think along the same lines as other's as many do on here.

With regards clarification on this subject i have already gained some clarification and as I said yesterday I'll be talking to BA again to clarify the situation regarding DP16 and various other things that seam to be confusing people .

To me it's perfectly clear that they are available and BA have while not adopting them or managing them in anyway at all have included them on the websites list of moorings .

Regarding any restrictions then there would need to clear signage as to what they are , currently there's nothing to state any restrictions or indeed any level of ownership .

These moorings are not new they have been here a few yrs now , but all of sudden there seams to be a huge interest in them and even more so who actually uses them .

Me if I'm mooring there I would usually go the end of the up stream section as there's really only one place yacht's can moor without being in the tree's and that in the middle of both areas on the BA side where incidentally there is clear signage , but hey that's just me thinking of others I guess .

Vanessa

There is no doubt that the moorings are available to use, the point i was making was in response to the report that the surface was slippery and care should be taken.

If someone had an accident because it wasn't maintained it is unclear who would be responsible if structure was not maintained.

BA would close moorings they operate if it was deemed unsafe, a mooring provided as part of a planning condition may not have a liability to maintain.

Therefore without explicit permission there may be no liability.

Short answer, if it looks unsafe, take extra care or don't use it.

I think the extra charge D46 refers to applies to elsewhere and there is no provision to extend the stay at church fen by paying the parish council a fee.regards

Clear as mud now :default_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

I understand that, no probs. My question is why should you be able to ‘pay a nominal sum to the parish’ and then be free to stay longer than 24 hours? (If it is indeed managed or maintained by BGM.) That’s what I think should be clarified as it comes across as being a fact. 

I think these jointly maintained/owned/managed moorings need some sort of signage to distinguish what’s what. Neither Church Fen nor Postwick Viaduct have any signage to guide people. Most of us on the forum know which moorings are ‘shared’ but newbies and many others don’t. Mostly that doesn’t cause any problems, unless anglers become involved of course! :default_norty:Irstead is another one that comes to mind. 

Absolutely agree there should be some signage as to what's what .

I don't think the subject of paying a fee for extended stays at church fen has even been mentioned certainly not by me but I and many others are fully aware of the fact it is indeed possible at Rockland though I've never mentioned that beforehand .

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Vanessa

There is no doubt that the moorings are available to use, the point i was making was in response to the report that the surface was slippery and care should be taken.

If someone had an accident because it wasn't maintained it is unclear who would be responsible if structure was not maintained.

BA would close moorings they operate if it was deemed unsafe, a mooring provided as part of a planning condition may not have a liability to maintain.

Therefore without explicit permission there may be no liability.

Short answer, if it looks unsafe, take extra care or don't use it.

I think the extra charge D46 refers to applies to elsewhere and there is no provision to extend the stay at church fen by paying the parish council a fee.regards

Clear as mud now :default_biggrin:

Ok so now 2 people think I've mentioned a payable fee other than my last reply to vanessan .

Where does it say that !!!

Be careful regarding don't moor there if it looks unsafe as I pretty sure that under DP16 they should be safe .

But above all it's time to show me exactly where I made certain statements or shut up about it as the accusation has  nothing to do with this thread , do now the balls in your court to find it , print it and prove it , I'll wait with anticipation :default_beerchug:

• Sad 1

I seem to recal the fee payable for a longer stay is to do with rockland staithe and nothing to do with church fen, I believe there is also a similar fee to use the slip at rockland.

Not sure why everyone is getting hot under the collar about it, any mooring should be used as "at your own risk" and decisions made as you approach as to wether or not it's safe to moor there, that is basic navigation skills as well as darwinism, most moorings have the ability to be slippery as hell when wet.

Disclaimer: I don't care if anyone overstays at the non BA part of church fen as it's not my business, I also don't care you slip over doing so as I won't feel it, however if you catch it on video I would like to see it as it could be funny!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I seem to recal the fee payable for a longer stay is to do with rockland staithe and nothing to do with church fen, I believe there is also a similar fee to use the slip at rockland.

Not sure why everyone is getting hot under the collar about it, any mooring should be used as "at your own risk" and decisions made as you approach as to wether or not it's safe to moor there, that is basic navigation skills as well as darwinism, most moorings have the ability to be slippery as hell when wet.

Disclaimer: I don't care if anyone overstays at the non BA part of church fen as it's not my business, I also don't care you slip over doing so as I won't feel it, however if you catch it on video I would like to see it as it could be funny!

Excellent post , factual in all 3 paragraphs .

Basically the only reason I mentioned that it can be slippery there is only because I've seen a couple of accidents one of which could have been quite serious , obviously it's up to the individual but I have always found it better to warn people than accept accident's happen , after all many boats stop there that come from the northern rivers as it's a handy place to get supplies , they may not realise it's slippery , obviously it's not difficult to see but some get it wrong and I'd rather see folk stood up than lying injured and it's only funny if the only thing hurt is pride really .

Good to see a lot of common Sense in the post too especially regarding getting worked up about it and the policing of it , if you own the mooring it's different and nine time out of ten I'll gaurantee those that complain , don't actually seek to moor there in the first place .

51 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Two co-ops! I find it bizarre that a village can have two co-ops

One is the old Budgens and the other is on what used to be a garage. They are two different societies so effectively different companies.

I use both as they have different ranges but the farthest one is more efficient and organised.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I tend to use both of the Co-op's as well for the items we require when first getting to the boat.

I have never used the Church-Fen mooring for walking up to the village but I understand the path brings you out by the Church

Regards

Alan.

It certainly does .

Incidentally we shouldn't forget the hardware shop , you can get virtually anything there including gas at pretty good prices too .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I belive Swancraft sells both types of gas bottles however always best to call them first.

Absolutely depends on where you are and more importantly if they are open , the very last thing I would do is to recommend anyone without experience , I definitely know one river side yard is way in excess of the hardware store on all sizes and both butane and propane , it totally depends on where you are and if your able to without issues transport the bottles from A-B etc .