Burns Night

Chelsea14Ian

Today is Burns night.For those that have never tried Haggis give it a go.Marina and I often have the Haggis with Nepps and Tatties .A Scottish friend liked it with bacon and Gravy,something we also serve with the Haggis.A surprising good and filling meal.Wash down with a wee drum.

For a number of years we had trips to Scotland, when Alan and Nicola were kids.I would say to them when we were close to Scotland, keep an eye out for the Haggis.They have three legs with very big ears and lots of hair.Kept them quite for a time.:default_biggrin:

Enjoy  Burns night

• Like 4

I remember Iain (Broadscot) trying to persuade me to eat haggis, he never succeeded. I'm sorry but I just couldn't eat it, yuk :default_biggrin: To anyone who's having haggis tonight, enjoy, I'll be sticking to wine and chocolate (that's if Jays not nicked them all)  :facepalm:

Happy Burns Night  :default_winko:

Jay and Grace x

• Like 2

We’ll be celebrating Burns Night at The Ferry House tonight, not that I’m Scottish, or even of Scottish descent, but a special three course menu for the occasion, including a ‘wee dram.’  Didn’t need much convincing to give it a go. The wifes having haggis, tatties and neeps, but I’ve gone for venison casserole (she didn’t fancy tucking into Bambi!!) with colcannon.  Mooring and table booked, but may have to skip lunch to create space!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

I remember Iain (Broadscot) trying to persuade me to eat haggis, he never succeeded. I'm sorry but I just couldn't eat it, yuk :default_biggrin: To anyone who's having haggis tonight, enjoy, I'll be sticking to wine and chocolate (that's if Jays not nicked them all)  :facepalm:

Happy Burns Night  :default_winko:

Jay and Grace x

That's a shame,we really like the Haggis. I too will also have some wine and chocolate. 

5 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

We’ll be celebrating Burns Night at The Ferry House tonight, not that I’m Scottish, or even of Scottish descent, but a special three course menu for the occasion, including a ‘wee dram.’  Didn’t need much convincing to give it a go. The wifes having haggis, tatties and neeps, but I’ve gone for venison casserole (she didn’t fancy tucking into Bambi!!) with colcannon.  Mooring and table booked, but may have to skip lunch to create space!

Good choice always enjoy going to the ferry house,sure you wont go hungry. 

Well there is a little bit of Scotch in my ( besides the single malt).My great Grandmother was Scottish. 

Have a Happy Burns night& Happy Chinese New Year.

Ps For those that are not keen on Haggis, theres some great Chinese food. 

• Like 1

Well I have just got back to the boat and there is no haggis and no chocolate so I reckon the little bugger has done a runner with my galaxy bar! If anyone spies a hairy, three legged haggis running through Beccles carrying a bar of Nestle's finest trip the cad up for me...

With what's left it looks like bubble and squeak for Burns night. :default_biggrin:

I shall raise a glass to old Pesky though :6973434b8b31cd5effed88c7cbb2f1149d4af7_t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Missed out on the Haggis yesterday as had family round for dinner.   Taking MrsG out for dinner later today somewhere or t'other so no Haggis this evening.    However the good news is that we have a Haggis in t fridge, along with the Turnip n Tatties so will go for it Monday evening dinner :417_fork_and_knife: along with a small nip or three of the Scottish natural 'Mineral Water'  :default_winko:

Griff

• Like 4

We were with the family celebrating our latest addition's first birthday on Saturday so no Burns Night. I did manage to bag a stray lowland haggis on the south face of the North Downs and it has been hanging in the garage since Friday. I don't know what it was doing down here in Kent, but scientists will tell you that it is irrefutable evidence of Global Warming.  We had the beast with the obligatory neeps and champit tatties for Sunday lunch, accompanied by a whisky sauce of my own elaboration (Bisto gravy plus 3 capfuls of amber liquid) and washed down with another tot of the water of life, blended and marketed under the name of a well-known game bird. A delicious meal with or without the whisky. Haggis, and Burns) should be more widely celebrated.

• Like 4

Tescos Blue Boar, also stocks haggis all year round,  so I guess all the Extra stores will. 

I always have a stock of freshly shot haggis in the freezer,  I've loved the stuff since 1971, when I first had it for school dinners, it was one of the more edible items at school.. 

I had a good meal at Snowflakes sailing club  last night at their Burns night dinner. A well attended event,  which had to listen to me, fully kilted up,  giving the Burns address.. No one threw anything at me, so that went well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Bradford!

1 minute ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Quite correct

Girlington. I used to enjoy walking past the very first Morrisons shop which had been preserved and painted up in the original colours although the windows were boarded at the time. Sadly, last time I took a look the cityscape had changed so much I couldn't recognise the location and I think the original has either been demolished or is now once again a small corner shop, but no longer a Morrison's shop.