Three Signal Any Good?

Smoggy

How does three do as a broads phone signal? Mostly southern broads.

Giffgaff are about to hike their payg tariffs so I have just got a 3 sim (I have a dual sim phone so will finish the credit first) which offers 3p/min 2p/text 1p/Mb with no regular top up's required so seems too good to me.

I guess payg is not worth giffgaff's efforts so they seem to be pricing us tightwads out.

We have used 3 for many years with midi gizmo. Very variable. Today we are on the Whitlingham moorings. Upload 8Mb download 9 Mb! A few days ago at Somerlayton we had 34Mb up and 9Mb down. Tried to watch ourselves going through Brundall but lost the signal just past tingdene until we got to bells yard.

I think for on the rivers it varies whoever you use. We have a payg tesco sim in the car and that's still in credit after 5 years :default_biggrin: and I only put £20 on it.

Colin :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

I have no desire to have a monthly contract as I use my phone very little, it's data I use most but wifi where I can so I stick to airtime credit.

I curently still have £35 credit with giffgaff due to their "share the love" deal when they had a promotion last may (on top of the usual £5 kick back both me and "friend" got £10 credit free), I introduced 3 friends and got £45 in kick backs to my account, all 3 friends were me on different email addresses so I got to use that credit too, it cost me £26 total to activate/top-up the sims and I got £30 worth of airtime plus a months goodybag with 500mb of data (on top of the £45 credit to my regular number) just as we were going off on the boat for 2 weeks, the spare sims went in to a tablet and a gps tracker.

Ain't I a stinker..... (said in bugs bunny voice)

• Haha 1

I have the very same problem Dave, firstly with Tmobile who were taken over by EE who then ended the PAYG deal where £10 a month got you unlimited free texts and the credit didn't expire. I rarely use it for voice calls so had nearly £100 credit when EE scrapped the PAYG. They talked me into a £10 a month contract with free texts which I fell for, and, lo and behold, they have gobbled up my £100! I too am having problems finding a PAYG sim that suits my use.

PS. I am a neanderthal in that I have a very basic bog standard phone. Not one of those infernal strokey devices that appears to hypnotises folk for hours on end!

I buy Three prepaid data SIMS for around £12 (Amazon or EBay). Each one gives you 3GB of data - more than I would ever use up - and last 3 months. I don't usually bother with one for the "Winter quarter" as we don't use the boat much in Winter. We operate mainly on the Northern broads and the Three signal is pretty good in most places. The coverage maps on Three's website seem to be fairly honest as regards the areas covered, so I suggest you take a look. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, imtamping2 said:

Im on the Southern Broads ......3 is the best  for me

Is that down to coverage or tariff? There are parts of the south where three is really poor, between St Olaves and Oulton is patchy at best, as is the Chet until you get to Loddon. Coverage along the Waveney is poor in places too, even with the external antenna on our Mifi. Elaine is on Giff Gaff and by comparison can get a good 4g everywhere. 

Check the networks coverage guides and you'll see what I mean

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/Coverage

https://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker