Picard

Polly

We loved ‘The Next Generation’, somehow none of the other Star Trek series since have quite lived up to it. Must be down to Patrick Stewart! The best thing Graham and I have ever seen on stage was his one-man show of Dickens’ ‘A Christmas Carol’. It was magical. I never imagined that one person, with a minimum of props, could bring so many characters so lividly to life. 

I’ve been a fan of Patrick Stewart since he was in a BBC adaptation of Mrs Gaskell’s ‘North and South’ in the mid ‘70s (it’s also my favourite book). Recently found that some kind person has uploaded the series onto YouTube. It’s a bit slow (compared to book adaptations nowadays), but a lot more faithful to the book than a more recent TV version.

13 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I’ve been a fan of Patrick Stewart since he was in a BBC adaptation of Mrs Gaskell’s ‘North and South’ in the mid ‘70s

Surely his greatest role is as Avery Bullock :default_smiley-angelic002:

I used to see lots of stuff at the RSC as a student. He was part of the company then but playing small roles. I used to hope he was not in the cast because when on stage he was totally magnetic and meant the main action was sidelined. This was not deliberate, no ‘actor tricks’ just 100% committed performance. They soon promoted him to leading roles! 

I saw him and Ian McKellan  in ‘Waiting for Godot’ at MK, Helen, did you catch that? It was brilliant. 

I watched the first episode of Discovery a while back and didn't really know what I was watching... Throwing JJ Abrams at things doesn't necessarily improve them and I think Star Trek have proven that over the last ten years.

Picard looks like a return to form for the franchise and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

• 2 weeks later...