New Inn Horning

SteveO

I just read that the New Inn will not be re-opening at the end of January, and that the present licensees (Mark and Kim) are likely to be moving on. The New Inn is one of our favourite pubs and I hope that whoever takes the lease on does as good a job as the present management.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

We find it a handy stop to pick up a few bits of shopping if we need anything but that tends to be just if we moor at the New Inn. We’ve never stayed overnight and wouldn’t choose to moor by the car park at the public Staithe for long. 

I wonder whether you can use the moorings while the pub is closed?

One of our favourite overnight moorings. Always offered Gus a drink but he usually declined..

My first experience of the New Inn was on 4th of July 64. On a beautiful summer morning we had arrived by overnight Robinson's coach from Manchester, six 19 year old lads on our second broads holiday.

The coach dropped us off at about 7.30 am where Lower Street meets the main road and we walked down to Chumley & Hawkes at the other end of the village.

Chap there had just started work and said your boat will be ready in a couple of hours, then told us the New Inn would do us breakfast at 5 bob each and he would ring and tell them we were coming.

The landlord said that as we were eating he could serve us with beer. We didn't need asking twice so we were sat outside in the glorious summer morning sunshine having a full English and liquid refreshment, looking over the lawn, that went down to the river in those days, watching a stream of boats passing both ways, probably on their way back to their boatyards at the end of their holiday.

. . . for us, paradise.

• Like 15

We love the spot as the decking, gardens and moorings are tremendous and Gus and the customers were always very friendly and the food was fine, but as an actual pub it isn't one of our favourites as we always have our dogs with us and we found it not very dog friendly, didn't encourage spare of the moment mooring during the day, didn't allow overnight parking and we jokingly referred to it as the No Inn instead of New Inn as it had so many signs telling visitors what they can't do

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 5

On 28/01/2020 at 17:52, CambridgeCabby said:

I’m amazed to hear Gus turned down a drink !!!!

He told us during the season that he was not going to be there after the end of the season and was moving on to pastures new 

Pastures new being the  ***********  which in itself has been in administration along with the Green Man Rackheath all a bit of a story in itself.

Fred

On 28/01/2020 at 19:07, rightsaidfred said:

Pastures new being the ******** which in itself has been in administration along with the Green Man Rackheath all a bit of a story in itself.

Fred

Just for the record regarding Gus, he's not working at the ********

Cheers 

Andy

• Like 1