New Inn Horning

SteveO

16 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

We don't hear from you enough as it is without you not posting again. Please keep posting!

Seconded ,

it would be a sad day when a “little spat” or différence of opinion results in losing a valued member of  the forum , as all members are important and integral to this FRIENDLY forum 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

I hate to be a miserable old git but should we really be discussing this in open Forum? Is it not a private matter? 

Again seconded , hence I intentionally did not comment further on where the fresh fields may be , but wish him well as indeed I did in person when he spoke to me 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, misswhiplash76 said:

um very happy for you maybe you need to post on horning norfolk uk if the info is wrong i will remove my comments and not comment on forum again

I don't think its a case of being right or wrong and please don't be put off posting. I've no idea what horning uk is. My point is simply that I don't think its right to discuss a persons employment on a public forum. For example we all take it that Fireman Sam is, er, a fireman :default_biggrin: but he could be an Estate Agent in Hartlepool for all we know. :default_norty:   But I wouldn't dream of asking him :default_icon_liar:

I can't think of anyone on the Forum who has said exactly what their job is and where they work (with the exception of Griff possibly).

I'm concerned that we are discussing someone who is not party to the actual discussion and may not want details of their employment or otherwise to be broadcast. I'm certainly not casting doubts on what anyone has said, its simply a matter of principle if that makes sense.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Yes, it is the difference between telling everyone where you yourself work and telling where your friend works, that friend may not want it widely spread where he works, thus you would need to explicity obtain that persons permission before revealing the information.

• Thanks 2

Despite being 'just up the road' I seldom visit Horning, and not the New Inn. Maybe I need to again, but two incidents some years ago put me off - getting turned out ( not drunk either ) at about 21:30 as they wanted to close, and getting turned away from the river as a group of RAF lads on an afternoon out in two day boats ( we'd have spent a fair bit I'm sure :default_rolleyes: )

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grendel said:

Yes, it is the difference between telling everyone where you yourself work and telling where your friend works, that friend may not want it widely spread where he works, thus you would need to explicity obtain that persons permission before revealing the information.

That is an interesting explanation, but how many times has ‘Gus, the chap who helps you to moor at the New Inn at Horning - top man’ been mentioned on here, over the years. Recommendations are often something like, ‘Go and see Bob at Bloggs and Co.’

Quite a dilemma knowing where to draw the line, particularly in regard to someone in a public-facing job.

• Like 3

I do know that many companys now have a social media clause in their staff contracts that specifically forbids them from associating the company on social media, and some larger companies employ people to search the internet for mentions of their company, now while I am not suggesting that this is so in this case, we are still talking about respecting a persons privacy, and while yes in the past Gus has been that helpful chap at the new inn, he has now taken up new employment elsewhere, so the situation has now changed.

In time it may again be acceptable to refer to Gus as that helpful chap at ********, speculating just where ******** is at the present moment may not be advantagous to his new post.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, grendel said:

I do know that many companys now have a social media clause in their staff contracts that specifically forbids them from associating the company on social media, and some larger companies employ people to search the internet for mentions of their company

That's true of my employer. Not only that, but there is a section of our annual mandatory training that covers social media interaction and what you can and can't say about work (it's broader than just mentioning the employer's name). 

• Thanks 1

Despite being 'just up the road' I seldom visit Horning, and not the New Inn. Maybe I need to again, but two incidents some years ago put me off - getting turned out ( not drunk either ) at about 21:30 as they wanted to close, and getting turned away from the river as a group of RAF lads on an afternoon out in two day boats ( we'd have spent a fair bit I'm sure  )

Similar thing happened to about 20 odd of us on one of our annual Lads Week - October, we were in the pub playing darts, they girly behind the bar chucked the lot of us out as she too wanted to close early, 2100 - we were out on our ear, all our boats were on their river moorings too.  Not happy

Griff

• Like 2

Yes, I'm afraid we've had that experience too. Not good. 

In contrast me and Mrs Nog have been the only customers left in the Lion at Thurne several times and yet they have happily stayed open for us and no question of booting us out. Mind you Mrs Nog's gin bill would probably cover the costs :default_norty:

Top pub as is the White Horse. 

I seem to think the Swan in Horning stays open until 11 

We got booted out of the Stokesby Ferry last time and won't be rushing back. 

• Like 3

Let's hope the New Inn will be open under new management by the start of the season, our favourite pub in Horning. We are moor in the village and so we go there regularly , although the New Inn won't be the same without Gus.

Got Gus a beer in TFI Wednesday last week, where he is not currently working, but it sounded hopeful that we will be seeing him somewhere on the water front soon. As you know, Gus keeps his cards close to his chest. 

• Like 5

• 6 months later...
update from their facebook page;- their new mooring man is called Glenn.
117908949_3756770611014219_3160724700003236798_o.thumb.jpg.9cbdee7b02095c544f9053cf33deac5b.jpg
Lovely chap he is too, and very efficient. We arrived just after 4, and in the time it took me to shave he'd squeezed another 6 boats in! Also squared away an issue with our booking (I booked early, and before they moved to a new system and our booking got lost in thr ether!)

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

Lovely chap he is too, and very efficient. We arrived just after 4, and in the time it took me to shave he'd squeezed another 6 boats in! Also squared away an issue with our booking (I booked early, and before they moved to a new system and our booking got lost in thr ether!)

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Sounds like he’s going to be worth his weight in gold!

I like all three pubs in the village with the new inn my favourite. Great food excellent outdoor space. The ferry has become to crowded for me of late but still enjoy a pint. The Swan is OK. I'm probably bucking the trend here but I never warmed to gus nothing personal but just not my cup of tea, but wish him well. Glad to see the Inn doing well.