New Inn Horning

SteveO

The Swan, to me, is an impersonal typical Pubco place, unlike years ago, when it was  frequented by the sailing clubs (Horning and Snowflakes) and the managers weren't averse to lock ins, when there was a legal pub closing time requirement.

The Ferry when run by TFI to me was too much costa del Horning, I've not been back since.

So under the previous managers  the New inn was favourite, I've not had cause to visit there since covid..

• Like 1

Nonetheless despite Griffs comments about the New Inn, guess where BA is moored tonight - of course it might not be him on board!!!

Correct, Bro Howard is onboard with his crew through til Sunday.  He was of course part of the lads week crew when we got chucked out too.

Since that unfortunate incident it has changed hands and we all have still visited the place and enjoyed it many times,  I called in three times over my 17 days afloat earlier this month

Griff

The Swan, to me, is an impersonal typical Pubco place, unlike years ago, when it was  frequented by the sailing clubs (Horning and Snowflakes) and the managers weren't averse to lock ins, when there was a legal pub closing time requirement.
The Ferry when run by TFI to me was too much costa del Horning, I've not been back since.
So under the previous managers  the New inn was favourite, I've not had cause to visit there since covid..
The Swan is a place I avoid. I mooree there a couple of years ago, paid the tenner to moor thinking I'd get it back when we ate in there (as was advertised on their board) only to be told "oh, I keep meaning to take that off,we don't do that anymore". As for TFI I couldn't agree more, not my sort of place at all.
@grendel there is limited space to sit inside, we ate inside on Wednesday once they'd found us a table (having lost our booking).

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• 11 months later...

It's been through a few landlords since I was last in there. I boycotted the place under on landlord who was an ungrateful ****** and haven't found myself wanting to return. I know its under different management now (I thought Roy from the Maltsters had it? but it seems not not.). Anyway, an optional (but not really) service charge would put me off going near it. I hate hidden charges and a pub meal is the last place I would accept such a thing.

• Like 4

We booked a mooring at The New Inn late June, the guy organising the moorings was very efficient, he was also looking after the big screen in their garden (maybe brought in for the football) had tennis showing at the time which pleased Mandy

Food was ok, cant remember it being poor or outstanding, service was very good and was dog friendly

Only thing that was off putting was the young lad who brought our bill said 'there's 12.5% optional service charge on there, we can take it off, but it does go to the staff'

Very difficult to then say take it off, especially when the service was very good!

• Thanks 1

Hi Griff  do you know of other places that do Tips or charges besides the New Inn / Kings Head (Wroxham) Rising Sun  / Horning Ferry / Bridge Inn / Kings Head Ludam/ Thurne and one other near Ludam Bridge / Masters at Ranworth As to you Griff went  eating out on B A last time  recently.

As far as I'm aware, the New Inn at Horning is the only riverside / Broadland pub that has a policy of a written added on percentage service charge.  As has been stated it kinda makes it awkward demanding it be taken off even if it is the clients right to do so.

I nearly always tip the staff, (For any service that I rate even slightly above average) once I have made sure that it does actually go to the staff

Last night at the Ryther Arms was a good example.  There were nine of us for a sit down dinner, after shooting for the afternoon,  pre booked of course.

The two girly staff that were looking after our group were very attentive / professional but were not constantly in our faces.  The bill for the nine of us all in was £486:00 or £54:00 per gun.  We each paid £60:00 having ensured the staff got the tip.  That give them £27:00 each and they weren't just looking after us.  This is typical of our 'Guns' group.  There are other social groups that me and MrsG go out with and it winds me up no end when one or two of the couples starts dividing the bill up so each couple ends up paying differing amounts, sometimes by only pennies too.  Just what is that all about?  I would sooner pay for my mates dinner in full than prat about trying to save just a couple of quid

Griff 

• Like 9

Tipping , this is becoming an emotive subject nowadays .

Whilst Kate and I still tip when we have received good service it seems to be something that is dying out ; many nationalities do not tip and indeed in some cultures it is regarded as an insult to be offered one (Japan as an example) , when a tip is automatically added to my bill I find it disrespectful and rude and as has already been mentioned it seems the establishments that do this are relying on the embarrassment factor to a degree to “force” the customer to pay it.

A few years ago the pay for serving staff etc was very poor , now it is akin to many other service industry jobs yet I’ve yet to see anyone tip the cashier at the supermarket for good service .

In my business ,tipping , instead of being 5 to 8% on my gross take annually is now less than 0.2% (based on the last three years trading) , this is down to the use of credit/debit cards and contactless payment as well as changing habits .

As I said , I’m old fashioned, and continue to happily tip when we have been given good service I will not however be pressured into doing so by having the choice seemingly removed from my hands 

• Like 9

My feelings are that if I have been given exceptional service by an individual (not a matter of whoever has nothing to do go see if the people at that table want anything) then that individual can be rewarded for the attention they have given me.

I DO NOT enjoy the idea that I should pay extra for someone doing a job that they are paid for whether they do it well or just DO IT !

Jeff

• Like 5

12 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

As far as I'm aware, the New Inn at Horning is the only riverside / Broadland pub that has a policy of a written added on percentage service charge.  As has been stated it kinda makes it awkward demanding it be taken off even if it is the clients right to do so.

I nearly always tip the staff, (For any service that I rate even slightly above average) once I have made sure that it does actually go to the staff

Last night at the Ryther Arms was a good example.  There were nine of us for a sit down dinner, after shooting for the afternoon,  pre booked of course.

The two girly staff that were looking after our group were very attentive / professional but were not constantly in our faces.  The bill for the nine of us all in was £486:00 or £54:00 per gun.  We each paid £60:00 having ensured the staff got the tip.  That give them £27:00 each and they weren't just looking after us.  This is typical of our 'Guns' group.  There are other social groups that me and MrsG go out with and it winds me up no end when one or two of the couples starts dividing the bill up so each couple ends up paying differing amounts, sometimes by only pennies too.  Just what is that all about?  I would sooner pay for my mates dinner in full than prat about trying to save just a couple of quid

Griff 

Absolutely I'm with you 100% on that, we just divide the bill by the number of ppl in the group regardless of what we've all eaten etc..

• Like 2

We actually enjoy being served our drinks at our table, it gives it more of a holiday feel for us. I guess since covid came along we look at things differently. Personally for me I'm in no rush to be knee deep at a bar trying to get served. So I guess there's a cost involved and I for one am quite happy to pay it. All three pubs in Horning have there pros and cons but all offer  fantastic views of the busy river and a nice place to sit relax and just watch the world go by. Don't really care who the landlord is who owns the pub etc etc I'm not local. Il give all pubs ago once if I don't like I won't go back. 

• Like 2

I agree with you Andy. Social distancing has often made for a more comfortable experience when eating out. I know businesses need to earn their money but I’m hoping they don’t go back to cramming tables in. 

• Love 1