New Bod Here!

Minigem

Hi there.

Been bobbing around for a while with the boat and my almost antique split cane fishing rods. Their owner is becoming quite antique too! You will probably find me hiding in the reeds looking for some big daddy bream or big daddy anything for that matter. I enjoy using my old fishing tackle which I have had since I was a boy back in the Stone Age and make my own floats out of bird quills in the old way. More is on my profile so please do have a peek at it.

• Like 10

Wow! Thanks for the very warm welcome from the forum members. Now that the daylight is returning  my thoughts are to getting my old tub tidied up, at present it has acquired a slight green hue but an afternoon with a scrubbing brush and a bit of soapy water will sort that out.

The engine is already serviced and ready to go and is hibernating in my workshop until Spring. Last year it packed up on me completely and I was considering buying a new one but found a very obscure and difficult to find fault after many hours of  expletives, bits everywhere, greasy black hands, purchase of a new coil which was not needed (a handy spare though) and some new plug caps and new plugs which also went into my spares box for the engine. In finding the fault I had to do an Henry VIII and took off the head and took the chance of removing all the limescale from the water jacket, its amazing how quickly that stuff builds up in raw water cooled engines such as outboards. Incidentally, that was not the fault.

Happy days to come in 2020! I hope to spend four weeks on the Broads (no no no, not a National Park!) and hope to do all points of the rivers, of course, having a dabble here and there with my ancient tackle (no, that is not a euphemism!)  :-0  .

Obviously I will be cruising the Southern Broads but have had previous pleasure in seeing many Marsh Harriers there and an occasional Barn Owl on the marshes from  the balcony of the Fishermans Bar.  I have not been down that way for some time so information on the pub will be much appreciated. On a clear or slightly cloudy evening the sunset there is something to be really appreciated.

Happy days to come!     

• Like 1

Incidentally, that was not the fault.

Ahem, you being a 'Newbie' (No detriment intended) you are obviously not aware of the foooooopar you have just committed.  That is to tease forumites with your engines ailment, various fixes but not revel the end of the story!  AAARRGGHH !  - Put it right immediately sir - Please

Griff

• Haha 4

Oops, sorry for keeping you all in suspenders. The old girl had been running a bit funny for some time and I just could not find out why. I am a fairly competent amateur mechanic and those sorts of faults are annoying. 

My last check on the engine before consigning it to the scrapheap was to remove the manifold to check if the gasket had blown between the intake and exhaust tracts. The gasket was ok but I could just about see down the exhaust pipe and there was a carbon build up there. I poked a wire down the pipe and found that it was blocked solid. No wonder I could not get full throttle when punching the tide across Breydon which is a bit worrying in stormy conditions. Due to a bend in the pipe and the blockage being right at the top of the pipe I had to remove the head to get the pipe out so that I could put it in the vice and belt the blockage out with a hammer and chisel.

I took the engine out in the garden and put it in a bin full of water and it started first time and ran sweet as a nut.

I put the blockage down to my very gentle running of the engine over the past few years, being content to poodle along at 4 mph even when the speed limit was higher. This year I will be braising up some sort spikey flexible thingy that I can put in a power drill and ram up the exhaust when I remove the engine's leg to check the water pump. That should keep everything clear in future.

All's well that ends well as the engine has been decoked and de limescaled in the process and the valves were checked for leakage. Along with re setting the valve clearances and a clean up of the points (it is an old engine), fingers crossed she will give me a decent run this year.

Owzat Griff? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1