Greenway Marine

jimbob88

I posted a question I think 15 years ago on the other forum asking if anyone had ever used this yard back in the 90's or had any photos.

Although people were aware of them and their reputation for running a brilliant fleet in the passing 15 years I've yet to find anyone else that hired their boats or even come across any photos of the old fleet, so that's my question again. Did any of the members on here ever use them or if anyone does have any photos of this old fleet you'd make an old boy very happy if you could share.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Hi JB

I think they were a small yard but, as you say, with a reputation for quality. With a smaller fleet I guess photos are harder to come by and of course they predated the digital age with the huge amount of images around now. I didn't actually hire from them although the boat we hire from Bridgecraft (Humber Bridge) was originally a Greenway build according to Craig's database. Called Elysium back then.

Carol's Broadland Memories site is a very useful resource with a lot of historical photos - you could try having a look - it is divided into decades so you can look in the areas you are interested in. Not sure if there is what you are looking for but worth a try.

39 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Are you talking about  Greenway marine Chedgrave?If so we moored  there some years back for a few months. I dont remember them having any boats of there own.

They finished hiring at the end of the 90s.

A lot of their boats were quite new and beautifully fitted out at the time and some of those went to Kris Cruisers on the Thames.

One of them - Charisma an Aquafibre Diamond 43ft came back to the Broads as Endeavour; I think it's the one that had been refitted with white leather upholstery and was offered for shared ownership a few years ago.

Possibly some of the others have come back to the Broads too.

• Like 1

You actually own the old empyrean boat they ran. Cracking boat always liked how it looked like no other alpha 34/5 about with the missing windows at the front.

Yes my one alph34 came back two years ago from Thames fitted out 1976 hired for two years before sold to kiss cruisers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimbob88 said:

I posted a question I think 15 years ago on the other forum asking if anyone had ever used this yard back in the 90's or had any photos.

Although people were aware of them and their reputation for running a brilliant fleet in the passing 15 years I've yet to find anyone else that hired their boats or even come across any photos of the old fleet, so that's my question again. Did any of the members on here ever use them or if anyone does have any photos of this old fleet you'd make an old boy very happy if you could share.

We hired from Greenway three times.  The last time when Charisma was brand new.  We always hired two boats.  From memory the boats were completely fitted out on site by one of the brothers.  He told us that when sold on the Thames he would hire one there and look on in amusement when going into the locks at a fair pace seeing the faces of the 'gin palace' owners in panic, not realising that he, as the builder, could probably handle her as well as anyone.  When the new regulations came out it was so costly to obtain certificates to build that they decided to stop.

I've hired a couple of the old Greenway boats on the Thames and nice to see how well maintained they've been kept.

They finished hiring at the end of the 90s.
A lot of their boats were quite new and beautifully fitted out at the time and some of those went to Kris Cruisers on the Thames.
One of them - Charisma an Aquafibre Diamond 43ft came back to the Broads as Endeavour; I think it's the one that had been refitted with white leather upholstery and was offered for shared ownership a few years ago.
Possibly some of the others have come back to the Broads too.

This was the very first boat I hired and again on the Thames hence my interest in the yard. I've spoken to Jonathon a few times over the years who built them and like you say too many regulations were why he stopped. What were the other boats you hired off them. We only hired off him one but visited the yard 3 times and was always nice to see a new boat being built every time. Do you have any old photos from you trips you'd be able to share ?

We hired from Greenway three times.  The last time when Charisma was brand new.  We always hired two boats.  From memory the boats were completely fitted out on site by one of the brothers.  He told us that when sold on the Thames he would hire one there and look on in amusement when going into the locks at a fair pace seeing the faces of the 'gin palace' owners in panic, not realising that he, as the builder, could probably handle her as well as anyone.  When the new regulations came out it was so costly to obtain certificates to build that they decided to stop.

2 hours ago, jimbob88 said:

This was the very first boat I hired and again on the Thames hence my interest in the yard. I've spoken to Jonathon a few times over the years who built them and like you say too many regulations were why he stopped. What were the other boats you hired off them. We only hired off him one but visited the yard 3 times and was always nice to see a new boat being built every time. Do you have any old photos from you trips you'd be able to share ?

The boats were always Charisma and Fantastique.  My son and his mates had Fantastique and we had Charisma.  We had our own boat down south and the brothers used to allow us to bring our two inflateables and outboards with us.. - some great water fights were had - I still miss it - must have been 30+ years ago.  We have moved a few times since then but if I recover any photos will mail you.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Happy said:
The boats were always Charisma and Fantastique.  My son and his mates had Fantastique and we had Charisma.  We had our own boat down south and the brothers used to allow us to bring our two inflateables and outboards with us.. - some great water fights were had - I still miss it - must have been 30+ years ago.  We have moved a few times since then but if I recover any photos will mail you.

My two favourite boats, you have excellent taste. I was only on their old boat fantastique in September on the Thames.
If you have any luck finding photos just drop me a mail on xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Be very much appreciated.

Jimbob 88 I have hidden your email address as it is not good practice to post your email on the open forum, I would suggest anyone who wishes to email Jimbob88 contact him via the forum PM system to exchange emails privately

if you click on the profile image you will get an option to message the user

I've hired Forth bridge 2 from them before (ex Fantastique) still a lovely boat just a few of the internal choices perhaps could have been a bit more sympathetic from bridge craft like the red rubber floor. Still a lovely boat though and would like to hire again.

Hi JB
I think they were a small yard but, as you say, with a reputation for quality. With a smaller fleet I guess photos are harder to come by and of course they predated the digital age with the huge amount of images around now. I didn't actually hire from them although the boat we hire from Bridgecraft (Humber Bridge) was originally a Greenway build according to Craig's database. Called Elysium back then.
Carol's Broadland Memories site is a very useful resource with a lot of historical photos - you could try having a look - it is divided into decades so you can look in the areas you are interested in. Not sure if there is what you are looking for but worth a try.

• Like 1

I'm assuming that this also concerns Jonathan Greenway! When I was looking for work done on "Glenmore", Jonathan was very highly reccomended for working on wooden boats. Unfortunately he did not have any slots available for me which is a shame as it could well have saved me substantial grief from the eventuall "restorers"!!!!!

The Diamond 43 they built is often moored at Maffett yard at Chedgrave. We passed her a few times moored there in June and September. 

Their yard always looks very busy, and I'd be very interested to have them maintaining Lightning should things change at Brooms, but the Chet is extremely narrow there, and Lightnings 43ft would stick a long way out into the river, making her prime bashing by idiots at the helm. 

• Like 1