Job, Anyone?

Hockham Admiral

image.png.0f76987ce3beb2007835f37592e36f2f.png

We have an exciting new vacancy for a full-time Ranger to join our team based in the southern Broads (£22,462 - £26,317 per annum).

The successful candidate will ensure safe and proper use of the Broads area by means of patrolling, liaison, education and enforcement on both land and water.

They will also have knowledge of the Broads, good boat handling skills and experience dealing with emergencies. Aptitude in practical conservation work, leading teams of staff or volunteers and demonstrating good communication skills and the ability to interact with a wide range of people will also be important.

Closes at 12pm on Monday 2 March.

Apply online: http://bit.ly/38U84KJ

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Being an authority, by law, they have to offer it to all "minority groups" as well as "average" people, and will be "encouraged" to offer it to a "politically correct" applicant. It`s what authority do. The advert is merely a legal requirement to attempt to make people believe the position is open to anyone. Probably find the position has already been filled by an applicant that ticks all the right boxes.

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Just don't assume you would get this!!!

Both I,  and a number of others on this Forum, have been turned down in the past!!!!!

I clicked like because i`m not surprised at all. No insults or anything like that, but i would imagine you, and the others who`ve been turned down are NOT "the required type" of person they want to be seen to be doing "the right thing". The fact is Marshy, even though we often disagree on some things, i get the impression that you, and others on here that have also been turned down, have a great deal of experience in many ways re the Broads. Unfortunately, that counts for nothing where political motives are concerned. synical i know, but then, the pitfalls of life had made me that way, hence my total mistrust of ANY form of authority.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I clicked like because i`m not surprised at all. No insults or anything like that, but i would imagine you, and the others who`ve been turned down are NOT "the required type" of person they want to be seen to be doing "the right thing". The fact is Marshy, even though we often disagree on some things, i get the impression that you, and others on here that have also been turned down, have a great deal of experience in many ways re the Broads. Unfortunately, that counts for nothing where political motives are concerned. synical i know, but then, the pitfalls of life had made me that way, hence my total mistrust of ANY form of authority.

I don't always agree with your slightly over cynical views Neil.. But Nail -> Head there.. They are only marketing this because they have to, (I suspect) the role will have been filled already..

• Like 1

Not sure it has been filled yet - recently they had some Volunteer Rangers posts and they were not prefilled!!!

They have, or have had in the past ,  preference for the retired members of Her Majesty's Constabulary, and you are right, I as a "noisy" type of person, had no place!! In retrospect they may have been absolutely correct methinks and had I "fell" into the job initially I think by now I would have "fallen" out of it!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

The salary seems low relative to the expectations of the role and the degree of responsibility. 

it's a pretty good wage for Norfolk, not to different you get for working here in a High tech company  like I do..

I wonder if anyone would like to put their positive ideas forward in a job description etc. for a Ranger? My idea is not to criticize the present arrangement but maybe there are other ways. Bearing in mind there is a budget, I notice that the salary is considered low-average. My thoughts are, in view of this, would someone following a vocation rather than a career be suited to the position?

It seems to me that two very different skills are required; in the summer boating skills, the ability and personal authority to deal with difficult situations, in the colder months, the physical ability to work on the bank sides etc.  Are these abilities always to be found in one person? Undoubtedly in some, but maybe not all.

Is the ‘job-share’ always an ideal match? Is it possible to use different people for different seasons? Is there someone in the office who would love to be out there clearing in the winter? (!!)

Leaving aside the present arrangements and negative feelings of the ‘yes man/woman’ needed and negative feelings towards BA itself, please.

I realise these are more my questions than answers but I am sure there are many here who dream about doing at least some of the Ranger work-OK- I admit it- being paid to drive a launch around the Broads most summers, even with the occasional unpleasant moments that no doubt happen, appeals greatly. As for tree cutting etc in the winter, I am afraid I am not your man!!

18 hours ago, marshman said:

Both I,  and a number of others on this Forum, have been turned down in the past!!!!!

Me too, Marsh.

Backin '02 just after my airline had folded. They didn't have the courtesy to even reply...............................:default_icon_redface:

• Sad 1

Hi all,

We receive a very high number of applications for all of our Ranger roles and this unfortunately means there's often a lot of disappointed people on the other end.

This isn't a 'box-ticking exercise' - the recruitment process is transparent and the same as all of our roles.

Despite the number of applications please don't be put off applying if you feel you meet the job description!

Tom

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, BroadsAuthority said:

Hi all,

We receive a very high number of applications for all of our Ranger roles and this unfortunately means there's often a lot of disappointed people on the other end.

This isn't a 'box-ticking exercise' - the recruitment process is transparent and the same as all of our roles.

Despite the number of applications please don't be put off applying if you feel you meet the job description!

Tom

Hi Tom,

I live 250 miles away, so i don`t think i`l apply thanks, plus at 62, i`m too old.  It`s good to hear the BA are not looking for "the politically preferred" choice, so let`s hope the right person gets the job.

One question though, the advert DOES`NT mention anything about age or qualifications etc, it would be nice for others to know what exactly the right applicant needs re above?.

25 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

One question though, the advert DOES`NT mention anything about age or qualifications etc, it would be nice for others to know what exactly the right applicant needs re above?.

These days you can't ask the age of an applicant, amongst a few other things.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2020 at 16:47, marshman said:

Perhaps you have an unwelcome reputation for mixing with us unaligned disruptives and non believers, you should choose your associates with far greater care :default_wink:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cockatoo said:

I would guess that the job will go to one of the volunteer rangers. I think we all know that anyone that questions (or even hints) at whether the Broads is a NP has already disqualified themselves.

I am sure that you are right but I think that it goes rather deeper than that. It is widely thought that 'he' interferes extensively with the appointment of Board and committee members and even the election of the chair of the Authority. So when it comes to staff I suspect that they will have already have shown themselves as being totally submissive and malleable to the party line!  A simplistic view? Perhaps!