Any Ideas What This Is For?

Cockatoo

When we bought Cockatoo, a Freeman 33 Sedan, this wooden section was in the galley. Since then I've been trying to work out what it was for. It looks like an extension for the galley table, the mouldings on the ends are the same as the sides of the table and the size is right but I just can't work out where it goes.

Any ideas?

IMG_20200127_064610.jpg

2020-01-27 06.48.48.jpg

2020-01-26 11.09.40.jpg

2020-01-26 11.09.32.jpg

I think you will find that this is the extension piece which converts the seats and saloon table - known as a "dinette" - into (what they call) a double bed. The table goes down and fits exactly between the seats on 2 battens which are there to support it and the extra bit of wood fills the extra space, with the hinged flap forming a supporting leg. The seats and backrests then go down to make the mattress.

It is hard to imagine "nookie" in this particular location especially if you happen to be more than 5ft 2ins tall!

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I think you will find that this is the extension piece which converts the seats and saloon table - known as a "dinette" - into (what they call) a double bed. The table goes down and fits exactly between the seats on 2 battens which are there to support it and the extra bit of wood fills the extra space, with the hinged flap forming a supporting leg. The seats and backrests then go down to make the mattress.

It is hard to imagine "nookie" in this particular location especially if you happen to be more than 5ft 2ins tall!

That was my first thought @Vaughan but the table covers the whole width. With this bit on the table sticks out past the side of the bed.

Being the size of the table could be a red herring. Could it be an extension piece to be used as a temporary worktop in the galley area? Are there any pull out/fold out supports hidden away for it?

Superb woodwork anyway and I am extemely jealous; the 33 sedan was my first choice but I just couldn't find the right one. Built just 7 miles from where I'm typing.

Edit... I make videos and I've just had a look at the one of the 33 I viewed in Brighton Marina. Could it be a replacement table; you put the big one away and use the small one to give more leg room? 

9 hours ago, floydraser said:

Superb woodwork anyway and I am extemely jealous;

They are famous for their excellent woodwork and finishing, which lasts for years. Which leads me to suppose that this is an original Freeman part. I wonder if it forms some sort of extension in the aft cockpit? I still think it looks like a bunk board.

• 3 weeks later...

We have owned a couple of smaller Freemans over the years and seem to recall that the cabin layout was very similar, regardless of the size of the boat. I have a dim recollection that you could pull out the head-end of the dinette to give a full 4'6" width and with the extra table insert in the middle, the table top projected the same amount. On ours, the foot end didn't pull out in the same way and so things were fairly "friendly" down at that end. Even though I had to sleep with my head right above the engine air filter, i found the dinette fairly comfortable and spent many happy nights on those boats. Agree about the quality of the woodwork. Second to none.

• Like 1