Mud Weight

Contrary to the views of CC, I would always recommend you LIFT the stern weight at night.

If the wind does shift when on a single mudweight, you will always still present your bow to the wind - this is bound to offer less windage than the full length perhaps, moored fore and aft. Side on the wind , your windage will probably triple, increasing substantially your chances of drifting.

I think the risks of drifting are pretty limited and if you did in exceptional wind, the landing is usually soft - I think in all my years of mudweighting, I have only drifted  twice - on Malthouse and Hoveton Little. On Malthouse I was shoved along by another boat drifting around and on the other it was a tad breezy in a storm around 3.30 a.m and no harm done!!

I would have said 18kg was plenty and 14 would do, but far be it for me to comment on anyone's tackle....!!

• Like 4

I have often used two mudweights, get the bow smack into wind for the fwd mudweight then deployed a mudweight well aft.  Two reason for doing this - Fishing, keep you over the same place, ground bait and the like also of course the tv signal stays in the same place! (Well your boat / aerial do).  However if I plan on staying overnight then checking the wx forecast is imperative.  If the wind direction is due to change and it is owt more than a stiff breeze or due to increase then I always pick up the stern mudweight for overnight to prevent 'B.A' being side onto the wind and risk of dragging - Simples.  So dual mudweighting can be fine and dandy

Griff

• Like 1

The only time I really drifted was across Black Horse in a summer storm when the wind shifted 180 degrees quite late in the night and probably got up to top end F6 or even 7!! Just as quickly as it got up it disappeared as if nothing had happened - apart from me repositioning the boat , naked ,in the pouring rain!! Quite - don't even think about it!!!!

• Haha 1

My own method oF holding the ground in a blow was to shackle a 7kg Danforth on 2mtrs of chain to the eye on the mudweight. If the mudweight wanted to drag it had to pull the Danforth horizontally. We rode out a very squally night on Black Horse, like MM top end of 6 gusting 7 and did not move. With regards to the weight I employed a No7 (70mm) block shacked to the weight via a swivel. As in the picture. I corrected the slight twist in the rope by switching to braided.

DOWNSIDE: of a good nights rest and not dragging. The mess on recovery of all this ground tackle has to be seen to be believed.

Screenshot_20200206-052339_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.69de7b2750829cf5d608ad048c9dcf13.jpg

• Like 1

That's proper ground tackle.

We have a Danforth stowed onboard with chain, a left over from our sea going escapades.  Can't see me ever using that on the Broads.  On a few occasions I have used our secondary aft mudweight up fwd and doubled up if there's been a stronger blow.  As of yet not dragged any mudweights, nor do I intend to do so!

Griff

• Like 1

I have tried various anchors on the Broads over many years and found that most simply drag through the silt. The worst offender being the traditional Fisherman's Anchor. Mind you a Fisherman's Anchor is perfect for lobbing into the reeds for a secure hold. The one anchor that I do recommend on the Broads is a Bruce Anchor, excellent hold in mud and easy to clean, just tow it from over the bow.

On 05/02/2020 at 13:30, marshman said:

The only time I really drifted was across Black Horse in a summer storm when the wind shifted 180 degrees quite late in the night and probably got up to top end F6 or even 7!! Just as quickly as it got up it disappeared as if nothing had happened - apart from me repositioning the boat , naked ,in the pouring rain!! Quite - don't even think about it!!!!

That brings back memories! Was out fishing with a friend in the early hours when a boat drifted past, presumably the tide had risen and lifted the mud weight. We yelled out, as would any concerned angler, a crew member rushes out to see what was going on, not quite as naked as Marshman, he still had a condom on! Darling, did the boat move for you?

• Haha 1

We didnt realise we were being dragged across Oulton Broad when acting as photographer boat for the wooden boat show last year.   It was the first time we had mud weighted and found a spot in the middle for everyone to circle around us. We didn’t realise we had drifted so far until I realised we were in the middle of the ‘shipping lane’ . Most embarrassed by our realisation we hastily skulked off back to where we started and then I kept a paranoid eye out to ensure we weren’t drifting again.  

• Haha 1

The usual reason for drifting when mudweighted is too short length of rope/chain laid out. The longer the rope, the more any pull on the weight will be sideways through the gloop, rather than a drag over the top of it. Within reason, as much as you can comfortably let out will alleviate the tendency to drift. It still happens when the wind is strong, but I've found this method will hold in most situations.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lulu said:

We didnt realise we were being dragged across Oulton Broad when acting as photographer boat for the wooden boat show last year.   It was the first time we had mud weighted and found a spot in the middle for everyone to circle around us. We didn’t realise we had drifted so far until I realised we were in the middle of the ‘shipping lane’ . Most embarrassed by our realisation we hastily skulked off back to where we started and then I kept a paranoid eye out to ensure we weren’t drifting again.  

We all thought you were being super clever and gently drifting across the 'shipping lane' for some close up action shots

• Haha 1