Festive Hire

Guest mutley-ab

Hi All

Just joined this forum as I am considering hire of a cruiser over the new year period.

I have found that Herbert Woods will hire over new year, but i am struggling to find out any information from other people that have done this.

The Herbert woods boats say they have "warm air heating" which i beleive is like a cars heating in that it is only hot when the engine is running.

I have several questions...

Will we be "too cold" at night ?

Can anybody suggest good moorings and pubs to spend the new year at ?

Are there any "electric hook up's" that would mean we can bring electric heaters?

Do any boats have "gas" heating that can run through the night?

Any experience or opinions on this would be greatly recieved.

Thanks in advance

hi,

normaly warm air heating in boats has it.s own diesel burning unit ,seperate from the engine,check with yard for this,bieng a cnfined space boats tend to get very toasty with the heating running so you shouldn,t have a problem.Cant comment on the northern rivers for electricity,but there are some on the southern rivers,this time of year it may be best to ring ahead to any pub and book a mooring.

try this link for lot,s of info.... http://www.norfolk-broads.org/maps/maps.asp

Hi,

We hired from Sabina a few years ago and would do it again as the Broads so quiet and special at that time of year.

Heating as not a problem, the boat had both hot air and a house type gas fire (not certain if that will pass the BSS now) but the hot air heating was fine.

Ian

Hi

We have been hiring in the winter (mainly December and February) for several years now. As mentioned, warm air heating is usually a separate diesel fired unit so can be run independently from the engine. They are usually more than adequate to heat up the boat, even in winter.

I’d be inclined not to worry about heat through night, just run the heating before you get in to bed, then switch it on when you get up in the morning. It warms up pretty quickly.

I have had a boat with a separate gas heater but I wouldn’t have felt happy about leaving it on overnight.

Quite a few electric hook ups – see details here on the Broads Authority website

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boat ... oints.html

Winter is a great time to be out on the rivers – have a great time!

cheersbar

Hi ,endorse what has been said about the boat heating being fine in my experience.I think you will find that yards will not allow you to bring your own electric heaters as the boat would have to have "shore power " and they are geared to a certain maximum load . You cant just plug a lead in from the shore to the boat as it would not be safe with all that wet stuff around without the RCD installed on the boat.We have had many an enjoyable outing during the winter and would say go for it . cheersbar

Thanks everyone for you helpful coments.

I will ring the hire company to check if the warm air heating is seperate to the engine as you all suggest. If so then I think we will see in the New Year on the broads.

Many thanks

Hi,

We hired from Sabina a few years ago and would do it again as the Broads so quiet and special at that time of year.

Heating as not a problem, the boat had both hot air and a house type gas fire (not certain if that will pass the BSS now) but the hot air heating was fine.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I want to hire “Sabinaâ€. As per your information, “hot air heating was fineâ€. Could you please provide me information for hiring this boat? What are the charges of it and procedure to hire it? Is it suitable for 11 persons?

Hi Ian,

I want to hire “Sabinaâ€. As per your information, “hot air heating was fineâ€. Could you please provide me information for hiring this boat? What are the charges of it and procedure to hire it? Is it suitable for 11 persons?

John, Hi

Ian wrote "We hired from Sabina" and I believe he meant Sabena Marine aka DRL at Womack Staithe.

http://www.sabenamarine.co.uk/

I don't think that they will have a boat big enough for 11. I know that "Acapulco" from Richardsons takes 12 and might even be available!

http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/our-boats/

Good Luck!!!

There are only a few yards that will hire in Winter.

Freedom offers its boats throughout the year: details here: http://www.freedomboatingholidays.co.uk.

As for heating: most hire boats will have removed their gas heaters now. These things can be very dangerous and are outlawed for new fittings. Existing fittings are OK and can be serviced, but not repalced.

Under no circumstances would you be advised to run any heating overnight whilst you're asleep - especially not gas heaters as the chances of carbon monoxide poisoning are just too great. Also, all boats have vents to the outside and between cabins which people have a tendnancy to want to block up. These vents are there for a purpose and blocking them can be very dangerous.

In truth, however much we might protest, a hire yard won't have any control over what you take on the boat in terms of heaters and such. No hire boat will power a 240v heater, but if you have a cable to connect to a shore mains post, then Freedom wouldn't have a problem with you taking an electric heater on-board. Flight of Freedom actually has a shore-power connection anyway.

For Winter bookings, we supply additional blankets for all crew.

Is it suitable for 11 persons?

11 persons, that is a lot of people.

Are they all adults or will you have young kids along?

Andy at Freedom has one boat, Fair Freedom, that has 10 berths but that is his largest.

I had 8 (3 adults, 5 kids, + jack russell) on her last year and have her booked for next summer (4 adults , 5 kids + jack russell).

If you had three young kids that would fit in the double cabin you could possibly squeeze 11 in.

She is a 44ft boat and hence one of the largest around, (there are some 45 footers, and Alphacraft down in Brundell have two that are 50ft and sleep 12)

Remember that a boat is very like a floating caravan, with many boats there isn't really a lot of room when you fill it to its "capacity"...

With 11 on board it would be very "cosy" in the saloon on Fair Freedom if no one was prepared to sit out in the forward well.

One problem that you are going to run into is that most of the yards stop hiring over the winter so your choice of boats will be limited.

As Andy said above they are prepared to hire out all year round.

Do you need to have all 11 sleeping on one boat?

Why not take two smaller ones, one one large and one small,if you have enough able bodied crew?

There shouldn't be any problem finding adjacent moorings for two boats in the winter...

Martin