I Am Spartacus

Ray

There are a few left, though none maybe of the calibre of Kirk Douglas. Olivia De Havilland is still alive, she like Douglas is 103 and I think Syndey Poitier is still with us, and still working. 

Very much the end of an era. There seem to be a lot of eras ending recently. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Douglas grew up as Izzy Demsky and legally changed his name to Kirk Douglas before entering the Navy during World War II.

Douglas, Lieutenant Junior Grade, enlisted in the United States Navy in 1941, shortly after the United States entered World War II, where he served as a gunnery and communications officer in anti-submarine warfare on board PC-1139. He was medically discharged for war injuries in 1944.

He had been deemed too old for the Air Force, but accepted into the Navy. He discharged was due to chronic ameobic dysentary discovered when hospitalized due to abdominal injuries due to dropping of accidental depth charge.

Yes, a loss of one of the greats. I was told years ago that he also spent time as circus acrobat, does anybody know if that's true?. 

I also heard he was recently in a film with his son, AND his grand son. I don't think there's ever been a film or TV show that has ever had 3 generations of the same family before. 

46 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Yes, a loss of one of the greats. I was told years ago that he also spent time as circus acrobat, does anybody know if that's true?. 

I also heard he was recently in a film with his son, AND his grand son. I don't think there's ever been a film or TV show that has ever had 3 generations of the same family before. 

Hi Neil,

I think you will find it was Burt Lancaster who was a former circus acrobat. Looking at Kirk Douglas films lists I had forgotten how many films he had stared in.

A sad loss, there are not many of what I would call stars around these days.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spartacus is on ITV4 today at 6.15pm if there’s anyone who hasn’t seen it or wants to watch it again. What a cast other than the one and only Kirk Douglas - Tony Curtis, Jean Simmons, Laurence Olivier and Charles Laughton. Peter Ustinov and Herbert Lom too. 

• Like 2