Weekend Storm

ExSurveyor

Blimey, Stalham area forecast.

The average wind strength around Sat night at 2200 increases to over 40mph. It doesn’t decrease below 40mph until Tues at 1700.   For many hours it is  forecast to be near to 50mph. Goodness knows what the strong gusts will be at.

Not many boats on mud weights then

Griff

• Like 2

Fortunately the marina have done a lot of tree work over the summer to take out damaged and potentially dangerous trees.

This time of year, and after all the rain, the ground is very soft, a few days of sustained high winds might cause problems.

Dreading going home next week, I have a load of big trees in the garden, well I have at the moment.x

We’re on Moonlight Shadow from Saturday. Been looking at the long range forecast and it seems that more gales/storms will be rattling in behind the storm forecast for Sunday. Just our luck. Looks like we’ll have strong winds all week. I have resigned myself to the idea that we won’t be going anywhere by boat next week. Sigh.

At least there are plenty of other places to visit, I’ve been wanting to explore other parts of Norfolk, and maybe Suffolk.
It seems that the west coast will be in for the worst of it. I’ll be thinking of family living on the Anglesey coast.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Fortunately the marina have done a lot of tree work over the summer to take out damaged and potentially dangerous trees.

This time of year, and after all the rain, the ground is very soft, a few days of sustained high winds might cause problems.

Dreading going home next week, I have a load of big trees in the garden, well I have at the moment.x

Yes they have cut them back quite a bit where that one came down last year. Thankfully not much foliage about to catch the wind but there'll be twigs all over the place for sure. 

• Like 1

Yellow warning of wind

Updated 6 February at 10:13 GMT

From

00:00 GMT on Sun 9 February

To

23:59 GMT on Sun 9 February   (I am adding )   most of Monday by the looks of it as well.

Storm Ciara will bring very strong winds and potentially some disruption to travel throughout Sunday.

- Injuries and danger to life from flying debris are possible

- Injuries and danger to life could occur from large waves and beach material being thrown onto sea fronts, coastal roads and properties

- Some damage to buildings, such as tiles blown from roofs, could happen

- Road, rail, air and ferry services may be affected, with longer journey times and cancellations possible

- Some roads and bridges may close

- Power cuts may occur, with the potential to affect other services, such as mobile phone coverage

Well there is only one answer - all down the pub.:default_winko:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Saturday Moorning, I'm taking down the covers off the marquee I'm rebuilding the sailing boat inside of. Covering the boat with plastic, tieing it up, putting lots of bricks round the decks to hold the plastic down..

Luckily it's not got the keel on yet, so the hull is only a foot off ground level. 

I was originally continuing making the new keel Sautrday, I might retreat to a shed to do some bits...

Sunday afternoon is going to be interesting!

https://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Norwich

The Q, have you tried using 1 gallon plastic containers to hold some of your tarp down. We generally tie off front and back and then use water weighted containers to hold the sides. This seems to prevent the eyes pulling out or ripping. Just a thought as I think you'll find a lot of your bricks on the ground after Sunday's wind gusts.

Stay safe everyone and let's hope it's not going to be as bad as forecast.

Colin :default_smiley-char054:

• Thanks 1

Thanks but it's not a tarp, it is a sheet of plastic no eyelets, sufficient to cover the sailing  boat to half way down each side and the  stern and bow. 

So I've a couple of ancient mainsheets one 20 years old the other about 35 years old that I tie that zigzag around  the hull. Each mainsheet is long enough for several zigzags.

The bricks are to stop the plastic being pulled up between the ropes. On 3 sides there are 6ft fences or sheds a few feet away from the boat , on the fourth I'll park my  landrover for the duration.

• Like 2

You can expect this rubbish weather every weekend in February. Naughty-Cal is booked to go back in the water and onto the sales pontoon for the beginning of March and we only have outside jobs like polishing left to tackle :default_rolleyes:

On 06/02/2020 at 17:21, psychicsurveyor said:

I see the Met office has upgraded the storm warning to ' danger to life'.

Looks like i have picked a good weekend to be onboard.:default_biggrin:

Batten down the hatches and tie down the tarpaulin.

Well Mark, nearly caught up with you again this time . Was overnight on Brundall Church Fen Thursday night after a slow meander up river for the previous nine days including the usual o/n stops. Not much river traffic about. Rockland Short Dyke was blustery but on the Wednesday weather was especially good anchored on Bargate with just a few day fishermen and courting GCGrebes for company. So enjoyed some peaceful kayaking in the back waters up to Surlingham Staithe.

Would have carried on up river and so come past Whitey but Friday am saw the wind strengths forecast and decided to run back with a good ebb to tuck up on home moorings.

So hopefully catch up again later in the year. Stay safe on Sunday, could be quite an experience, there's an eerie calm before the storm feel this evening.

Bob

• Like 1