Weekend Storm

ExSurveyor

12 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Local forecast is for a gale force six, not exactly extraordinary. Great for sail-boarding though!

12 hours ago, ChrisB said:

JM, when was force 6 ever a gale? A yachtsman's (if offshore) yes but not proper! 

I have just downloaded the MSLP. Atlantic analysis and prognosis to +96 and given a few hours I think you will be seeing a true gale force blow. 

I would strongly advise against getting your sail board out in the morning.

When the good Admiral Beaufort drew up his wind scale winds had to exceed 28 it's to be classified gale but in common seafarers parlance of course any good blow at sea is called a "gale o'wind".

I wonder if Ciara sustains the 75 it winds forecast will we have to refer to it as hurricane force or not - a la Michael Fish.

Not excessively strong yet here Lowestoft but I've probably talked it up now.

Off to North Beach now with the dog to see the sea.

7 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

When the good Admiral Beaufort drew up his wind scale winds had to exceed 28 it's to be classified gale but in common seafarers parlance of course any good blow at sea is called a "gale o'wind".

I wonder if Ciara sustains the 75 it winds forecast will we have to refer to it as hurricane force or not - a la Michael Fish.

Not excessively strong yet here Lowestoft but I've probably talked it up now.

I was told many years back that to be officially called a hurricane it must blow constantly at 90+mph for a minimum 30 minute period. In 87, it did'nt blow 90mph constantly, even though around the south and south east coasts, gusts of up to 120mph were recorded, so Michael Fish was right, it WAS'NT a hurricane. 

18 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

Bit windy in Warwick with strong gusts.  Our dog walked across the drive and after experiencing a couple of gusts promptly turned around and went back indoors!!

• Like 2

My hound is now a nervous wreck with all the sudden bangs and whistling noises.  Not even her favourite biscuit is being eaten.  My parents have just called to say a tree has come down narrowly missing the house. Definitely got worse here in the last hour.

Last nights hooley here in Cambridgeshire took some more  felt from the summerhouse roof and sent the patio furniture ( faux rattan sofa & two chairs) into the flower beds. Judging by the crashes and bangs heard during the night, suspect that some of our neighbours had a few mishaps too. Still blowing it  was all we could do to stay upright when we walked to the paper shop this morning.

Carole

• Like 1

We had a really heavy blast of intense rain and wind for about 20 minutes or so, then it calmed a tad and we've actually seen some blue sky.:default_biggrin:

At times like these we always appreciate that being as far inland as it's possible to get, we say that whatever we're getting, some poor b*gger is getting it worse. God bless them.

However, the bird box on the side of the garage is now listing at 45 degrees, what should I do to help the blue tits?

4 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Brundall, but you’re too late.  It was very nice,  though.

D797B5D6-F546-4BA0-B9D1-3AE47B283245.jpeg

We have gone 'veggie' for three months to give it a try - that 'photo definately did'nt help!

Enjoy.

Happy (aka Alan)