Weekend Storm

ExSurveyor

Been very windy all day here in North-Western Germany with the wind (South-Wersterly) ramping up.  Now its started to rain.

At least that means we will not get severe flooding in the centre of Hamburg as the river Elbe is oriented towards the North-West thus NW storms are very bad here.

German railways are shutting down their long-distance services.

2 minutes ago, marshman said:

Makes a change from having too much!!!!!!!:default_icon_razz:

Yeah, we`ll never be happy. 

Seriously though, you explained to me what was keeping the tides high in another thread, is this because of the winds coming from the west, as i would have thought that would be pushing yet MORE water up into the channel and round the top of Scotland converging in the North Sea, thus causing more flooding on the rivers?. That`s exactly what happened when Karen and i took Lightning out for the first time in October 14, result?, 2ft over the quay heading at Beccles Yacht Station.

Still going down and now just had an email from EA to say we have a flood alert for Monday and Tuesday.

My theory. These very strong SW winds ha blown most of the North Sea towards Norway and Sweden. It seems to get to a point where it has to rush back again.  The North Sea appears to act like a shallow tray with water in it. A strong wind sends the sea from one end to the other and then back again. 

Colin :default_drinks:

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Islander said:

Still going down and now just had an email from EA to say we have a flood alert for Monday and Tuesday.

My theory. These very strong SW winds ha blown most of the North Sea towards Norway and Sweden. It seems to get to a point where it has to rush back again.  The North Sea appears to act like a shallow tray with water in it. A strong wind sends the sea from one end to the other and then back again. 

Colin :default_drinks:

Snap :default_biggrin: how ironic can it get :default_beerchug:

EA just upgraded flood alert to flood warning for Monday and Tuesday.

Colin :default_beerchug:

This was sent only half an hour after the first email but our internet is really bad when the tide is low and I couldn't send it.

Just to show what's happening with the tides see belowimage.png.62518349ac362d01ea9f5820cb6d4da6.png

Colin:default_winko:

• Thanks 1

Just now, YnysMon said:

We have our car parked not too far from Moonlight Shadow’s mooring at present. Should we move it, and if so, where to? Would the car park near the Broom’s main office (between the railway and the pub) be okay?

I would have thought it would be okay, Helen.  Here are a couple of pictures taken just before Christmas comparing river levels at The Ferry House and Brooms moorings.  

A01939CE-46AC-4F11-AC06-910E172F47B8.jpeg

2F67400F-D006-4A3C-B776-11A24A3B31BB.jpeg

8ADD7630-5E68-45C9-8DE9-D5B5CE79E2E0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.ntslf.org/data/realtime?port=Lowestoft

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6205?direction=u

image.png.fe36113cc53beba6e60e6cc4e3686ea4.png

For those worried as to the level of the tide, hopefully we have just had the worst for now. The tide is ebbing here in Norwich and has not overtopped at Thorpe so Brundall should be dropping nicely now. If you logon to the Brundall . GOV site you can confirm the level the tide made. 

Wind has dropped right off here now but more to come by next weekend.

Colin:default_winko:

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

That was spectacular!IMG_20200210_163424535.jpeg

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Looks a bit white Helen, :default_biggrin:.  Are you going out in the car instead of cruising?, that`s what we do on Lightning in November, but have yet to sample the delights of March, 5 weeks time, we`ll find out. 

Is Lightning still ok, and do you know whether she has a crew this week?.

• Like 1

Yes, we have been out in the car yesterday and today.

Lightening looks fine. I haven't done a meerkat to check her out this evening, but I did notice a car parked up behind her when we were returning to the yard late afternoon. I'm not sure if there was someone on board, she was still on her mooring though.