• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

Hi, i had a purpose built SS gas tank made to measure to hold my 2 gas bottles.

the bottom of the tank is below water level, so i asked my BSS man what i can do for the drain pipe to outside.

he said fill the tank around the bottles with vermiculite and then that way the drain pipe can be half way up or whatever.

no my thinking is...... this vermiculite stuff is like a fluffy flame retardent stuff,

a bit like bits of cardboard you used to get inside the old jiffy bags........ which is fine.

So i put my bottles in pack this stuff around the bottles, and hey presto i have my BSS 

what happens when i want to change a bottle though?

i lift the bottle out and all this stuff goes to the bottom so when i try and put my bottle in i have to scoop it all out and start again....

is there something i can add to this stuff to make it more like a solid lump, so if i lift the bottle out the imprint will stay there..

lol i did think that tbh, as it's a professional made tank so i know it won't leak, 

Hi Smitch Wrap bottom of bottles in bubble wrap this will give you a bit of wrigley space then use cement or tile adhesive with granules also line box in cling film this will enable you to remove easily at a later date without sticking to stainless. John 

• Like 1