Hi All

Woodie

Hi all, joined the forum today after a couple of years just reading as a guest, so I feel I know some of you already!

Came across the attached booking form from 1981 recently, my second time on the broads in my youth! No idea why I still have it!

wonder if Yare  dawn is still around.

5DAFB489-4901-48A5-8D91-34429447DE71.jpeg

• Like 2

Welcome! I do envy people who have been hiring Broads boats for that length of time, as Graham and I are relatively newbies at this Norfolk Broads boating lark, our first hire being 5 years ago. We have well and truly caught the bug though! 

• Like 2

Hi Woodie.

Welcome to the website.

I think most of us started years ago on the Broads. Nostalgic I know but then there were proper boats then, wooden, centre cockpit, engine underneath, wonderful smell of hot oil and diesel and a proper galley.

Oh happy days. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Minigem said:

Hi Woodie.

Welcome to the website.

I think most of us started years ago on the Broads. Nostalgic I know but then there were proper boats then, wooden, centre cockpit, engine underneath, wonderful smell of hot oil and diesel and a proper galley.

Oh happy days. 

You can still do this on the fleet that is the Pride of Martham.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Victoryv said:

You can still do this on the fleet that is the Pride of Martham.

Yes, you are correct. they are wonderful boats and long may the boatyard maintain them as a feature of the Broads.

Incidentally, the owners are very helpful and proud of their heritage of preserving these lovely old boats. Even though my old tub is Tupperware they have looked after me and given me excellent service.

MG 

48 minutes ago, Boatingman said:

Good afternoon Woodie

Welcome to the site

Like you I go back a long way on the Broads my first hire was 1964 Jack Powles Rippling Foam

Ray

Snap. My first week on the broads was on Gala Girl (Summercraft) in August 1984.

Since then there has been the odd year now and again when I have not managed to visit

Jeff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RumPunch said:

Welcome

if this is the the same 'Yare dawn' she's still around

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Boat_Details&BoatHistory=19374&BoatId=3889

Hi RumPunch, thanks for looking that up.

From memory, certainly was that style of boat, but the superstructure was yellow-very yellow!! Still had a great week. I have some photos somewhere.

That was my second time on the Broads, and I came back really wanting a boat.

story for another time, but ended up buying a wooden cruiser here in the Midlands, needing some work. That was a baptism of fire.....

• Like 1

On 11/02/2020 at 20:26, Woodie said:

Hi RumPunch, thanks for looking that up.

From memory, certainly was that style of boat, but the superstructure was yellow-very yellow!! Still had a great week. I have some photos somewhere.

That was my second time on the Broads, and I came back really wanting a boat.

story for another time, but ended up buying a wooden cruiser here in the Midlands, needing some work. That was a baptism of fire.....

The database is very reliable so almost certainly it's your actual boat with a new colour scheme. 

43 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

The database is very reliable so almost certainly it's your actual boat with a new colour scheme. 

Hi Broads01, thanks for your reply.

Apologies I wasn’t clear in my post, but I didn’t doubt it was the same boat, only my memory from that holiday was how yellow it was.

That boat/holiday cemented my interest in boats and boating, and I have been lucky enough to have worked on and played with boats since.

Currently  have a ‘classic’ (old!) Fletcher sports boat that rarely gets used. ‘Management’ thinks it’s time it went , and we looked into a cruiser on the Broads. Have to say, she is probably right, especially as we hopefully get more leisure time.

Cheers Woodie

• Like 1