Sad News

VetChugger

I too spent the start of the 3 rivers at the cottage in Horning watching the start.  I have known Craig a good few years now. Taking on his data base is not for the faint hearted he used to take 3 to4  thous\and photos a year of boats on the Broads whichthen had to correlated with the existing data base and all of us idiots giving him more information on our own pride and joy.

I will certainly miss him RIP Craig and good thoughts to his wife and family. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Springsong said:

Taking on his data base is not for the faint hearted he used to take 3 to4  thous\and photos a year of boats on the Broads whichthen had to correlated with the existing data base and all of us idiots giving him more information on our own pride and joy.

No, it's quite an undertaking in that respect and I think in reality it would need to change more towards a model of people submitting photos and then having content review for changes.

The immediate challenge is keeping it going.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

No, it's quite an undertaking in that respect and I think in reality it would need to change more towards a model of people submitting photos and then having content review for changes.

The immediate challenge is keeping it going.

All the best with that - it would be a tragedy to lose it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oldgregg said:

I'll see what I can do.

When you have done your assessment of what might be needed you may or may not need some sort of financial support. I have a good idea what hosting fees are like for a site like that and, I, for one, am willing to consider a small regular subscription to maintain such a valuable resource.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, oldgregg said:

I'll see what I can do.

I may need to call on your technical assistance too at some point in the near future.

As I mentioned, Craig had a business hosting account to host the database  and other websites - Broadland Memories is one of those and I am going to have to find a new home for it. I will give the company Craig was using a call and see whether it can be as simple as me setting up my own hosting account and having them migrate it for me. Unfortunately, Craig used to deal with this side of things for me so I am a little clueless!

Carol

• Like 2

I'll PM you Carol, but I suspect Broadland Memories is probably a fairly easy one to sort.

If we could get the hosting account transferred to someone else then that's an option but I don't know how easily they will allow that to happen. I must admit I'm not that familiar with what the process would be there as it's not a scenario we commonly see in business.

There has been a fair bit of discussion behind the scenes on this one but I see three possible ways of moving things forward with regards to the database. Two of them require getting access to the database, and the third does not.

In terms of hosting, my preferred option would be to spin up an AWS instance to run any sites which NBN takes under its wing. I don't have traffic forecasts, obviously, but I have a much better idea than most of what these sites cost to run.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What dreadful news .i can only offer my deepest of condolences to Craigs family and to the forum members who knew him personally .i only had the pleasure when we corresponded via Email when i was doing research on a boat i had at the time 

A true broadsman in my Eyes and may he rest in peace 

Finny   

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Only just become aware of this. 

I never met him but conversed a few times by email, providing photos and asking for permission to use some. 

He created a useful resource for the Broads which should never be allowed to be lost both because of it's tremendous value and as a lasting tribute to someone who cared so much as to put all this effort in. I know there are people here with the experience to take the database forward, but I i can help in any way...

Rest In Peace, Craig. 

• Like 5

It would be wonderful if Craig's database is able to continue, even if only by preserving it's current status. Along with Broadland Memories and this forum they make a wonderful facility for those of us who love boating and the broads. To preserve Craig's site would be a fitting epitaph to when he has achieved.

If it can be kept running then please make sure there is a donations facility. I'll contribute a few quid as I'm sure would many others.

• Like 2

Taking my comment further, (as I posted earlier without reading the posts to the end), a lot of my background is in web development and content management. I have produced many web sites in my time (including all of Freedom's), some for Mercedes Benz, the Meat & Livestock Commission to name drop some of the biggies. 

I run a business account with FastHosts and can provide hosting for negligible cost along with online MySQL databases and more. 

Whilst I do not have a great deal of spare time, this database needs saving. It is conceivable too that it could be supported by the BA as it is a valuable resource that gives them considerable benefit too.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

The database needs saving, I absolutely agree. I'd also be willing to give some time. Although I have no experience of web development I build data applications for a living so I have skills in that area. I'd be happy to help with updating data and adding photos. I recall John (oldgregg) also expressed interest.

• Like 1

How very sad, Craig ran an amazing website.

When we wanted to buy our first Broads Boat in 2018, before any viewing we checked the history via Craig's data base.

Having bought a boat, we submitted new photos to him, which he added. Last summer, we were moored on Horning  Staithe, when he knocked on the boat and introduced himself. What a lovely Guy. 

I'm sure we will all miss Craig on Suki   

• Like 1