Standards

Chelsea14Ian

After a not very nice day coming home.What happened I think was unacceptable. Coming home from Cannon  street a young girl spent 20 odd minutes on her mobile  taking to someone,saying how she would like to beat someone up in no uncertain terms. She was very drunk .Just to make matters worse  some idiot pulled the alarm, which had to be reset by the driver.Was this young girl quite bo ever one heard.Then she light a cigarette, by then I heard enough ,and of course had her abuse aimed at me.Sorry but dont accept rubbish from a low life like her.I know I am getting old,but wont accept acceptable behaviour from low lifes. In my view some people have none or little  respect for others,but I will not accept bad behaviour. 

• Thanks 4

standards and respect for others nowadays seem to be the last thing on a lot of the younger generations minds, (actually its not just the younger generation any more) I feel I have watched the standards of courtesy dropping throughout my life, and those standards probably are now only kept to by my parents generation, and a few of our generation that were brung up proper.

there does seem to be a generation out there whose only concern is for themselves and what is in it for them. of course there are exceptions, these are the nice people we meet, but as always its those that behave in this manner with little or no regard to others that come to the fore.

in some ways I blame the internet, which has promoted the ability to respond in a manner most would never consider when talking face to face as the repercussions in a face to face conversation would be far from favourable - the so called keyboard warrior mentality. it takes little effort to see that if people get used to this mentality where they are seemingly not responsible for the harm they do via the keyboard, then its only a small step to transfer this behaviour into real life, unfortunately add alcohol into the mix and their inhibitions are lowered, and their behaviour suffers.

it is sad seeing the world heading further this way

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Agree,theres a whole range of unacceptable behaviour. Many want things straight away,that may be high end goods,as I've said before many I work with now want to be Heads Chefs  but dont have the skills to be so.I do think bad and unacceptable behaviour is growing.In my opinion I think this is s problem that needs to be dealt with. There are many many good people doing some great things,in all ages.Sadly there work is overshadowed by those who just dont care what they do.

• Like 4

You are quite right Grendel except the problem started before the internet became generally available, it started when we as a nation became to liberal in our approach, when schools were no longer able to discipline their charges, when the Police were no longer allowed to deal with hooligans without the fear of being prosecuted themselves, when parents couldn't be bothered to bring their children up properly and the justice system started treating the criminal element as victims instead of perpetrators, subsequently each generation became progressively worse because of the leniency of their parents generation.

Rant over.

Fred 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

You are quite right Grendel except the problem started before the internet became generally available, it started when we as a nation became to liberal in our approach, when schools were no longer able to discipline their charges, when the Police were no longer allowed to deal with hooligans without the fear of being prosecuted themselves, when parents couldn't be bothered to bring their children up properly and the justice system started treating the criminal element as victims instead of perpetrators, subsequently each generation became progressively worse because of the leniency of their parents generation.

Rant over.

Fred 

No rant at all, a perfect explanation of how things, and more importantly 'people', have degenerated in society. 

I would also add that nobody these days accepts responsibility when they themselves are proved to be in the wrong. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

I think ‘soaps’ have also contributed. They are supposed to reflect life, but are so sensationalised. I’m sure some me silly people take them as a model of how people normally behave. Real life copying fiction.

You mean spending a lot of time in the pub I guess? :default_coat:

• Haha 3

In my day if you got hassled by the school bully, it was only in the playground and not everyday. Now with social media it can be directed at you wherever you are, 24/7. Even the wimps of today are now keyboard warriors and words can hurt, so sticks and stones don't even come into it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Upcycler said:

In my day if you got hassled by the school bully, it was only in the playground and not everyday. Now with social media it can be directed at you wherever you are, 24/7. Even the wimps of today are now keyboard warriors and words can hurt, so sticks and stones don't even come into it.

Agree that it is much easier now with social media, in my day a quiet word behind the bike shed sorted out the bullies and when shown up for what they were their followers soon found new friends.

Fred

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

Agree that it is much easier now with social media, in my day a quiet word behind the bike shed sorted out the bullies and when shown up for what they were their followers soon found new friends.

Fred

So it was you who interrupted me and my first girlfriend during a passionate moment........Ba*ta*d :default_icon_wave:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I think ‘soaps’ have also contributed. They are supposed to reflect life, but are so sensationalised. I’m sure some me silly people take them as a model of how people normally behave. Real life copying fiction.

I absolutely 100% totally agree with you. Karen (much to my dismay) watches earbenders and emmerdale religiously,  even recording it incase she misses it, or we go out. She glued to the bloody things, and i hate them. Of late, they`ve had really nasty story lines with murder, stalking, rape, all the most vile of story lines. You know full well whenever they have a marraige in the script, someone is going to bed the bride or groom the week or day before the wedding. They are just plain awful, and i honestly think they should be banned, as they don`t "represent" what happens every day in real life within a so called community, but they do incite people to live their lives in the same manner.

Ban the sodding lot of them i say.

• Like 1

Sorry but dont think tv is the problem. What I do think is the problem is as said here dambing  down of standards. People  of my age were taught respect of parents , and all adults, be they teachers, Police etc.Too much freedom now.Freedom is great and should be embraced. Sadly  that seems not to be the case now.Thats why so many young people are involved  in knife crime. Thick society needs to re balance before it's too late.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

as they don`t "represent" what happens every day in real life

I think you must live a sheltered life, actually most of us do, we’re lucky. Every aspect of soap life is out there somewhere, just not rolled into a half-hour slot! Where do you think the writers get their ideas from? 

• Like 1

Yes, I have led a sheltered life (thankfully), but as a realist I know I some people have always behaved badly. I just think that the pressure to have interesting story lines lead soaps to present what would normally be aberrant behaviour as the norm. 
Gossip magazines and the way that a lot of ‘celebrities’ behave don’t help. When I was a kid it seemed that good behaviour was upheld as a role model. Given the relentless outpouring of stories focussed on bad models of behaviour, I don’t find it surprising that standards have slipped.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vanessan said:

I think you must live a sheltered life, actually most of us do, we’re lucky. Every aspect of soap life is out there somewhere, just not rolled into a half-hour slot! Where do you think the writers get their ideas from? 

No, I haven't had a sheltered life at all, I grew up in a couple of council estates and went to a school which eventually got closed down because it was 12th from bottom in the tables, so it's easier ti close it because they failed to bring it round. That was a great many years after I left though. 

Your point about the issues re soap operas have in their story lines is exact as Helen says, they are rare occurances, but according to script writers, are happening every day in every street, which quite clearly they aren't. 

Remember that God awful programme Peeky Blinders?,  look at a lot of the younger generation now, and a lot of them are sorting the hairstyles and mannerisms portrayed in the series. 

TV has a great influence on impressionable people, what a shame the script writers tend to write scripts that leave such a disgusting impression.. 

Bring back 'Watch With Mother' I say 😌

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I think you are right there mate. Thankfully I am retired now but I used to work with a load of women who in their tiny minds thought  East Enders was real and behaved the same as the actors.

Bruises have now gone and my brain has now recovered!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Then don’t keep watching them! :default_wink:

48 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

It's a man thing, soaps dismay me too!

It's not just  a man thing - you  couldn't pay me to watch any of the soaps, I find nothing whatsoever entertaining watching the daily antics of lowlife. While I must agree that standards have sunk to an all time low we have noticed that regrettably we see more incidents of  missing good manners among our own generation lately. It sometimes seems  as if some elderly people have the misguided notion that being  old entitles them to be afforded consideration and there is no need to acknowledge it.

Carole

• Like 1

a lot of my tv time is spent watching talking pictures tv, good films (with proper plots) and good standards too for the most parts, its that or youtube restoration videos, - its no wonder i spend time tinkering in my workshop and making model boats. (at least that is a break from the forum too.)

• Like 1