Just A Dream

Bluebell

On Monday night I had a dream and alright I admit it was about a lady. The lady in question was, of 
course, Chiltern Lady. I was solo helming down the Bure on a strong ebbing tide in order to cross 
Breydon. I must have got my timings a bit wrong and arrived at Gt Yarmouth YS way before slack 
water. With the buzz of rushing past the YS at 8 mph on tick over, I attempted to turn at the yellow 
post only to be pushed sideways with both The tide and a strong wind (Ciara) on the starboard side. 
Pushing the throttle fully forward I managed to face the bow into the wind and tide. However, my 
top speed of 7 mph was not enough and I realised I was slowly being pushed sternwards towards the 
open sea. I dropped the mud weight with minimal effect on my progress. I wondered if it was 
dragging or maybe there was not enough rope to reach the bottom. How deep is it there anyway? 
The boat is not equipped with VHF radio so I called 999 for the coastguard…

...What else could I have done?

then I woke up.

• Like 5

CG would be the best call in that situation, there is a lifeboat station down near the entrance with proper offshore boat.

A mudweight would probably not even slow your progress in that situation just give you more chance of losing what manouverability you do have when it gets in the prop.

Grendels comment is good but there's a lot of hazards at the side down there in the way of shipping not to mention the sides of haven bridge, get between a ship and the quay and you are in serious trouble, or in tritons case you could get under it.

I know it was only a dream but my advice as I have crossed Breydon many times in all weathers and all times of the day and night.

1  If you are even thinking of crossing Breydon or going through GY buy yourself a decent anchor. Mudweights are exactly what their name says and are not designed to hold a boat in a current.

2  Use a proper anchor warp which should be three times the depth of the water you expect to be cruising in.

3  Unless you are using a complete anchor chain put at least six foot of chain on your anchor before attaching the anchor warp.

It may be a subject of discussion on this forum as to if a boat hirer informs the boatyard that they intend to cross Breydon then they should be issued with a proper anchor commensurate with the size of the boat and an anchor warp of the correct size.