WRC Launches new boat into the Hire Fleet

Brian

Thanks for posting this Brian

Just to be clear, this boat was designed & built at Waveney River CEntre but will be in Ferry Marina's hire fleet.

We believe that this boat should also go well in the private market and we're taking her to the London Boat Show next month - so you'll have an opportunity of stepping aboard if you're visiting the Show. We'll be in the new Boardwalk area next to Hardy Marine.

cheers:-)

The fish.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

It`s certainly very well fitted, and it`s a credit to the workforce at WRC, but it`s not my ideal boat for the broads. I prefer the lowliner/bridgemaster designs which (are supposed to) go under all broads bridges. Eddie (or James?), why not introduce WRC as a hire base, as that sort of design would be ideal on the southern section, and without doubt, there are not enough (Imho) hire bases on the southern broads. Regards ............... Neil.

Wow five star fitout or what.....

The only thing I thing that could have been added would be a larger transom not being wide maybe a pushrail around the stern with a ladder invade someone goes in I think that should be a standard on all hire fleets......

Have you got a price listing Eddie

Wow five star fitout or what.....

The only thing I thing that could have been added would be a larger transom not being wide maybe a pushrail around the stern with a ladder incase someone goes in I think that should be a standard on all hire fleets......

I agree Jonny that set of steps down from the fly-bridge look dangerous to me. Very narrow transom and no pushpit, even worse than the situation that I commented on about the Spitfire earlier this year.

If I took young kids on her they would be clipped on if on the uppper deck, and any deck crew would have their jackets on when mooring (but then I try to make them do that even on a bathtub)

The design did shout "Ferry Marina" at me even before I read about her.

We all have our favourite designs but this, I am afraid to say is not going to be added to my list.

My gut feel is we wont be seing her, or her sisters upstream of Wroxham, or even possibly upstream of Ludham. Even getting her up to Horning through Yarmouth could be fun!

She seems to be even higher than Spitfire but then without seeing them side by side it is hard to really tell.

I wonder what her air-draft is with the upper screens down?

I do like it looks nicer with windows changed it looks better the thing with pistoles they can be added after the build so can a bathing platform hence mentining it I think the only thing that might put a downer on it if the hire prices are to high...

Were in a recession after all !!!

The interior looks nicely finished. I like the contemporary/complementary fabrics used on the headboards etc which give it a modern and luxurious/private feel.... so someone seems to have a good eye for the finishing touches and a good selection.

I'm not totally sure I love the exterior. What are the 'fins' at the rear of the main side window?

Good to see improvements on areas such as the TV reciever location compared to her Sedan Sisters where it looks to obstruct/spoil the view and good to see a different interpretation of her Sedan Sister's... I guess if the height is the same as those going through Ludham should be no major stress/restriction most of the time?

Dan

My gut feel is we wont be seing her, or her sisters upstream of Wroxham, or even possibly upstream of Ludham. Even getting her up to Horning through Yarmouth could be fun!

A fair percentage of Broads hire craft don't pass through Wroxham, but these craft are popular because of the advantages the height gives the rest of the time. When I took a dual steer craft up and down the Chet I was amazed how much more I enjoyed myself - Hardley Flood was really there for the first time! I'd be surprised if Ludham or GY was an issue on this particular craft (which is starting from Horning, not WRC) but the Ferry guys will know what the air draft is.

• 2 months later...

That new Ferry sliding roof jobby is a nice looking boat in the flesh too - a sort of bridgedeck with a sliding roof.

Everybody always knocks these types of boats and for extended cruises I tend to agree. But remember many punters now only come for short breaks and for these they are ideal.

But to cater for those who want a lower roofline I am pleased to say good old Len has not forgotten you - what should have arrived in his shed for fitout but an Alpha 36 to be ready by July and is further proof,if you want any, that LF continues to invest real money. I have quite lost count of the no. of new boats he has built in 3 years but it is good to see he varies the designs and sizes too. Whilst I know some complain, but he does put his money where his mouth is!!!!!

I think its great to see the commitment of him and his staff.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Marshman, while i do agree with you about Len Funnels commitment by investing possibly "millions" in building all these new boats, i have to say, and this is ONLY MY OPINION, many of these boats are pig ugly. There are several reasons why i, and many others, hire the older boats, and they are mainly because of cost, and also because i (or "we") prefer the look of them. There are threads elsewhere on the forum about other yards that are refurbishing boats that are 30-40 years old, but have brand new interiors and features that are equal to a lot of the latest designs, and to be honest, i would much rather hire one of these than something which looks like the designer ran out of ideas when he got to the outside steering wheel. Still, each to his or her own?. Regards ............. Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Something else i noticed about one of them is it does look like the roof only retracts BACK, but NOT DOWN. I wilfully stand to be corrected, but if i am right, what`s the point?. ........... Neil.

..other yards that are refurbishing boats that are 30-40 years old, but have brand new interiors and features that are equal to a lot of the latest designs, and to be honest, i would much rather hire one of these.... Still, each to his or her own?. Regards ............. Neil.

I think that's it Neil... the key is choice. Although we sometimes all get to thinking everyone wants what we want this isn't the case and there needs to be a good choice of new, old, budget, expense, luxury, comfort, layout and design alternatives etc to suit all the people who want a Broadland holiday and their different wants & desires! I think at the moment the fleets & boats on offer reflect and suit this really well. I cant think of many sensible briefs that couldn't be met by one craft or another on offer, and long may that continue. I hope there will always be a choice of craft & price ranges so everyone is happy.

The canopy does just slide back, I think the point is to let the sun in whilst not needing to redesign windscreens, more complicated canopy runners & more redesigning. I too think this is a bit of a bizarre choice of logic to apply and I am suprised they have made one (though such designs are not unusual in places like France where bridge heights more generous), but I suppose lots of boats let well that have bridge restrictions so they must have felt it made some sense to them.

Dan

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I do agree Dan, giving people choice IS the right thing to do, but i still think some of their new designs are pig ugly. It seems as though they`re coming up with something quirky just for the sake of building something different. To me, there are a few "definutive broads designs", and when you`ve reached that stage, there is`nt much more you can do. Yes, you can give the cabin top a different shape with different shaped windows etc, but why build a fwd drive design, then plonk a fixed high level steering position on it, surounded by some wierd out of place eliptical sidescreens?. And as for the one at the beginning of this thread, it looks nothing more than the sedan version with an aft cabin squeezed on the stern, then they`ve had the afterthought of sticking an extra outside steering position almost directly above the transom. I honestly think they`ve run out of ideas. Regards ............ Neil.

Yep! Solitaire Emblem is not the prettiest Broads boat ever! However, I find myself increasingly admiring an operator who sticks their neck out and does something different. OK, it might seem strange to build a centre cockpit boat where the roof doesn't slide downwards - but not all boats have to go under all the bridges do they? To me there are shades of the old F.B. Wilds (also at Horning of course) philosophy of Broads hire innovation, a definite move towards standing out from the crowd for the hell of it...rock on!

Interesting...

But a bit outside my price-range (by about £110,000) :lol: :lol:

The Sedan even has fender baskets on the pulpit,

and is shown with at least one balloon fender that wouldn't fit in them!

All modcons including an anchor windlass and a nice stainless mud-weight.