Survey No1

SPEEDTRIPLE

Hi all,

I`ve long been an advocate of Potter Heigham bridge being made passable by all those designs of boats over the decades that were originally designed and built to do so, by raising the original structure by around 10"-12".  I`m not talking about "replacement" of the bridge, but to keep its original appearance, but just raise it by a small amount.

What are your views, should the bridge be raised to allow passage of ALL those designed to do so, or left to get even lower thus disallowing an even greater number of boats to pass?.

if i am on the rivers and headed that side of the bridge Ray (or anyone) you are welcome to come along for a look-see i will be spending probably the monday after the may meet cruising around up there, you could moor up one side of the bridge and i could pick you up the other side?

• Like 3

So, what would raising it achieve? Just to make that area no different to every other area of the Broads. You do have the option to visit the place, as we all have. Do what we did a couple of years ago and hire a day boat, or as Grendel has shown, hiring above the bridge is still possible.

It’s special, why destroy that?

By the way, when we had almost completed our day boat outing and were returning to Whispering Reeds boatyard, we passed Broad Ambition as she was reversing out of the pub dyke on Hickling.

:default_eusa_dance:

(Dare I whisper...Wroxham Bridge?)

My view is also leave it alone. It's one of the Broads' iconic landmarks so it should be preserved as is and not altered in any way. The only action I would favour would be dredging or similar that improved the air draft without touching the bridge. However if I recall previous discussions I gathered there's no certainty dredging would have any impact. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

My view is also leave it alone. It's one of the Broads' iconic landmarks so it should be preserved as is and not altered in any way. The only action I would favour would be dredging or similar that improved the air draft without touching the bridge. However if I recall previous discussions I gathered there's no certainty dredging would have any impact. 

Agreed, while I am also in favour of dredging for its various purposes the more I look around the more variables I see and I am becoming more and more convinced that there are a number of factors involved none of which in themselves would make a major differences but combined make all the difference.

While we can discuss this to our hearts content, no harm in that, at the end of the day we are going to have to accept things are what they are.

Fred

• Like 2

It all rather depends on the reason or reasons the clearance has reduced as Fred so rightly says. As part of BA's job is to look after the navigation, I feel they are the ones who should investigate it.

If the bridge is sinking (and I have to admit to doubting this) then various options would have to be considered, but raising the bridge is not one I would favour. It is an ancient monument and should be treated as such.

So, basically I would say that working on the bridge itself should only be done if it is in danger, otherwise, no. Other solutions need to be found 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

So, basically I would say that working on the bridge itself should only be done if it is in danger, otherwise, no. Other solutions need to be found 

Other solutions, not sure what, so who is going to finance them as there are no cheap easy alternatives, given the boats they are now building I doubt the hire industry would be interested, not the BA without a large increase in tolls not the EA or Highways Departments they have no vested interest added to which there would probably be a large protest campaign by the conservation groups, sorry but I think this is something we have to learn to live with.

Fred