Corona Virus

Paul

I could not reply to the post in the public information section as it is read only, but for anyone concerned by Corona Virus, especially anybody working in a high risk environment Public Health England have produced an excellent series of posters for schools, nursing homes etc which detail proper precautions relevant to the location in question. These have already been sent to all schools each of which should be making pupils aware of the correct actions to take.

It is nothing more than common sense, good hand washing routine and  appropriate use of disinfectant hand gels etc. I did notice on my visit to the local supermarket this morning that their was a nice new aisle end display with pocket sized hand gels on sale, and surprise surprise they have gone up 16p. They were 99p last week, £1.15 now. There's no news like bad news for somebody to cash in on. 

• Like 4

My attitude is if your number is up there is not a lot you can do about it.   Just enjoy life as before.    All this media hype is not a good thing.  I went to the hairdressers in the week and it was a joy to hear the girls in there all planning their holidays, all excited about life and what they were all going to wear and do when on holiday and I thought , yes this is where I want to be with the positive thinkers.    

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hylander said:

My attitude is if your number is up there is not a lot you can do about it.   Just enjoy life as before.    All this media hype is not a good thing.  I went to the hairdressers in the week and it was a joy to hear the girls in there all planning their holidays, all excited about life and what they were all going to wear and do when on holiday and I thought , yes this is where I want to be with the positive thinkers.    

Holidays, maybe a stay-cation holiday this year! In practical terms I would have thought a realization that plans might be thwarted would be wise. One of my girls is a consultant pharmacist and one of her duties right now is training re coronaviris within the care industry. Clearly the NHS is doing what it can in regard to being ready for a pandemic. Positive thinking, along with a hint of realism perhaps? At best it appears that are we are some months away from inoculation.

• Like 1

At present there are 20 confirmed cases in the uk.One British man has sadly died although it appears he lived outside the uk.Clearly it is a concern. What is not helpful is some of the rubbish doing the rounds in the press and TV.One paper said that perhaps 4 out every 5 would get the virus.! Think we all have to take care.Clearly theres hotspots, China and Northern Italy .At work hand sanitizer machines appeared in the Restaurant on Thursday night. Working where I do many of the staff travel all over the world. 

7 hours ago, Wussername said:

I read somewhere that the filthiest jerm ridden item you ever touch is the handle of the supermarket trolley. 

And why is it that some parents who cannot control their unruly children insist on standing them in the shopping trolley for them to walk around where the next poor unsuspecting customer is going to be placing their food shopping.:default_2gunsfiring_v1:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

At present there are 20 confirmed cases in the uk.One British man has sadly died although it appears he lived outside the uk.Clearly it is a concern. What is not helpful is some of the rubbish doing the rounds in the press and TV.One paper said that perhaps 4 out every 5 would get the virus.! Think we all have to take care.Clearly theres hotspots, China and Northern Italy .At work hand sanitizer machines appeared in the Restaurant on Thursday night. Working where I do many of the staff travel all over the world. 

Quite right Ian. This event is being blown out of all proportion by the media. Plus, we are also told daily, of the ever increasing numbers of newly infected people being added to the totals, but what about those who have recovered fully? According to the tracker website below, there are currently around 85,000 confirmed cases, but just under 40,000 of them have recovered:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0482li5e2fLzNWSq8A6g9X7XePvUFoR-frI2jYSUzCr0-zbSq28oKrxjA#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Also look at this graphic, which although a few days old now, puts into perspective, your chances of contracting the desease, and the mortality rate according to age:

coronavirus.jpg

Add to this, that this event has the capacity to deliver a severe shock to the whole world's economy, and you start to realise how damaging sensationalist journalism can be. It's already affecting the travel industry, with people putting off booking holidays thousands of miles away from any current infection. Others are cancellling trips. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was at boarding school late 1950s when there was an outbreak of Asian flu. Ninety odd pupils and twenty or so staff. The gymnasium was converted into a sanitarium. Of the 110 or so folk in the school only two of us, me plus a staff member, stayed well. Once the flu got a hold it went through the school in days. We mustn't ignore the possibilities, a cavalier attitude helps no one. It has happened before.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Asian-flu-of-1957

• Thanks 1

Think it's right that we take care,but still the risk is low.Flu kills thousands  in the UK each year.The Chief Medical officer adviced against  wearing  face masks,only to be used if you have the virus or in close contact with those that have it.Think hand sanitizer are a good idea.

• Like 1