Corona Virus

Paul

Yes Mark, 

We are due to go on a Medi cruise with P and O in May - (all bought and paid for already . Gulp ! )

Obviously we are watching developments with interest. I have to say P&O are being very upbeat and are so far keeping us well informed of their measures and contingensy planning.

• Like 2

I asked the rest of the committee before posting the advice notice. Maxwellian was concerned that we don’t end up with ‘unofficial’ possibly misleading advice. I am sure we members and  the mods will be on it with this. 
Personally the dog/boat/ head off on the river idea  appeals, although I have no dog and Brilliant would sink right now.

Timbo says he is ok because he hasn’t bought any Corona for years.  (If you don’t understand this joke, ask your granny)  😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, RealWindmill said:

Yes Mark, 

We are due to go on a Medi cruise with P and O in May - (all bought and paid for already . Gulp ! )

Obviously we are watching developments with interest. I have to say P&O are being very upbeat and are so far keeping us well informed of their measures and contingensy planning.

You go and enjoy yourselves.  I am for getting out the champagne, if only I was not so afraid of opening the darn bottle.   They terrify me.     

Peter spoke of Asian Flu,   I had that when I was 10 and was in hospital at RAF Halton.    Mum and I were on our way out to join Dad in Bahrain when I managed to catch the dreaded flu.      I dont recall all of this publicity that we have now.  Nor do I recall much about Szars or whatever it was called.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polly said:

Hands clean and often is our No1 strategy.

That’s mine too. I have the opportunity of people watching in a hospital on a daily basis at the moment. It’s interesting to see how many visitors actually use the hand wash dispensers, I would guesstimate about 1%. The number of ladies I see leave a public convenience without washing their hands is high too. It’s no wonder these things do spread so easily. 

• Like 2

The big difference with sars (severe acute respiratory syndrome) is that it wasn't very contagious untill the symptoms developed so much easier to trace and stop, the nastier side was it tended to be fatal in the healthier people as it was your own immune over-reaction that did most of the damage, I did hear the chinese were trying immune suppressants on some people to see if it helped (only news program knowledge-no special insight).

With corona I understand it's contagious before you are ill so much harder as the spreader probably doesn't have a clue they have it, it tends to take out the weaker people instead.

• Like 1

In the East they have always worn face masks. It is a popular misconception it is to stop catching something. Not so. If you have a cough and sneezes it is considered etiquette to wear a mask in order not to spread your germs.

If you have travelled on some of their transit systems you will understand why. You are like sardines in a can. The chances of getting a tissue if you feel a sneeze coming is zero.

• Like 1

I had Asian Flu as a bratling. Public information was working hard as I recall. One morning Reverend Mother came into class and described symptoms, telling us to report to the teacher if we had them. As she spoke, I became aware I had them, having felt fine first thing. 
I worried I was maybe just imagining it, next thing I was home in bed, ill  for a fortnight. The onset was pretty rapid.

• Like 1

The problem with this virus is how contagious it is,  the deaths,  (3% in China), are the least of the problem.

Because it is more infectious than flu it could cause a  rise in hospital admissions for the seriously ill ( 18% ).
This has to be dealt with on top of all the other things they deal with every day and it is happening during flu season. Sick people need a lot more care and the health workers are then at a higher risk of infection which reduces the number of staff available.
If everyone followed the hygiene advice it would be less of a problem,  unfortunately a lot of people don't.
How many will self isolate instead of going to the supermarket or into work,  that is what will cause the problem to escalate.

What the media doesn't report is that over half of the ' infected ' numbers they quote have been discharged and fully recovered.
As always,  governments need to plan for the worse and hope for the best.

The biggest impact will be on the world economy,  we are already starting to see that, hopefully that effect will be short lived.

Edited by psychicsurveyor
incorrect mortality rate
  • Like 3

The mortality rate is not 7% even in Wuhan where the health services have been severely stretched.

“Potential association between COVID-19 mortality and health-care resource availability

Ji, Yunpeng et al.

The Lancet Global Health, Volume 0, Issue 0”

1 to 2.5%  would appear to be more accurate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was looking at the RO ratings earlier, it is about the same amount contagious as 'normal' flu its RO is rated at 2-3, whereas flu is 2 (each sufferer is liable to infect two others) (measels is 12-15). so basically take the same precautions as you would against getting flu, ie wash your hands.

7 minutes ago, Polly said:

Yes, Matt Hancock on BBC1 5 minutes ago said best information is about 2% mortality.

I'll state the obvious, that is two people in every hundred, perhaps irrelevant to the surviving ninety eight! My wife, at this moment in time, has pneumonia following an operation, yes, I am worried. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I'll state the obvious, that is two people in every hundred, perhaps irrelevant to the surviving ninety eight! My wife, at this moment in time, has pneumonia following an operation, yes, I am worried. 

Sorry to hear about your wife Peter.    I will include her in my prayers.     

• Like 1