Corona Virus

Paul

1 hour ago, annv said:

hope the generating people don't get the virus otherwise there will be a lot of food chucked away as freezers defrost

this should not be an issue, the majority of the systems are computer controlled, humans are there to oversee the process, and the electricity companies are on virtual lockdown, meetings and interdepartmental visits are being kept to a minimum, and in an emergency the supply network could be run from home on a internet link while in home isolation by a single control engineer.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, grendel said:

this should not be an issue, the majority of the systems are computer controlled, humans are there to oversee the process, and the electricity companies are on virtual lockdown, meetings and interdepartmental visits are being kept to a minimum, and in an emergency the supply network could be run from home on a internet link while in home isolation by a single control engineer.

For gwads sake don't press the wrong button! :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, vanessan said:

How true (and nicely doctored)! Two questions - Why is hand sanitiser a ‘very brexit problem’ and is there actually anywhere in the world that isn’t coronavirus infected? 🤔

I think I know the answers! Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, has tested positive for coronavirus. We’ll need to protect ourselves. Sadly, I don’t think there is anywhere in the world that is not infected. ☹️

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

How true (and nicely doctored)! Two questions - Why is hand sanitiser a ‘very brexit problem’ and is there actually anywhere in the world that isn’t coronavirus infected? 🤔

'Very Brexit Problems' is the FB group I copied this from. I'll leave yo to work out why 'Brexit' and refugees may be linked in some way.

This morning we had a meeting with our boss.We work on the relief team(in house) support. We have been layed off for a month. Very good of the company (not) paying us £29 per day for 5 days.Hope they can afford that sum of money. I have told my boss if this is long term I will look elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Poppy said:

'Very Brexit Problems' is the FB group I copied this from. I'll leave yo to work out why 'Brexit' and refugees may be linked in some way.

Poppy - I don’t think anything needs working out there! (When you live where I do, the refugee situation is very obvious.) 

My apologies if I seem to have taken your post out of context. 

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

This morning we had a meeting with our boss.We work on the relief team(in house) support. We have been layed off for a month. Very good of the company (not) paying us £29 per day for 5 days.Hope they can afford that sum of money. I have told my boss if this is long term I will look elsewhere. 

Do you think the chancellor’s announcement this evening re paying support to companies will make any difference?

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

You may end up getting paid now, Government is paying 80% of salaries for the next three months at least. I'd call you boss. But for goodness sake stay at home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vanessan said:

Do you think the chancellor’s announcement this evening re paying support to companies will make any difference?

It should - but it may not if there are not measures in place to stop employers cheating !

The taxi drivers in Cambridge , all self employed, are “earning” between £20 and £30 after fuel for a 12 hour shift !! And that is gross before other costs such as vehicle finance insurance etc , I’ve worked out that that I will running at a loss of approx £340 per week if I work a 84hour week based on £27 per day 

31 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

You may end up getting paid now, Government is paying 80% of salaries for the next three months at least. I'd call you boss. But for goodness sake stay at home.

My boss texted us about 17.30 ,regarding the announcement by the government. I will contact her on Monday. I am only prepared to stick with them if they will pay most of my salary. 

2 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

My boss texted us about 17.30 ,regarding the announcement by the government. I will contact her on Monday. I am only prepared to stick with them if they will pay most of my salary. 

Pop's I know this is tough, but any money is better than none, before today I would have said that on monday I would have been told bye bye too.. Take what they can give then once it's over you can look elsewhere.. Don't leave of your own accord though.

• Like 3

I employ a good number of people, i am relieved and encouraged by the unprecedented support. We will work as long as it is available, then we will go into hold until it picks up, as it will.

I won't get paid, i will survive, as long as my staff are paid and i have a bit of support with my fixed overheads, we will be ready to be up and running.

This is not like 2008,

It is not an economic recession, it is like a natural disaster. I estimate we will be getting back to near normal in a couple of months, IF, people practice social distancing and WASH YOUR HANDS.

My biggest concern is the younger generation not taking it seriously.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

My biggest concern is the younger generation not taking it seriously.

I was in an empty shelved Sainsburys on Wednesday evening and an young woman commented then stopped to talk about the situation. I was quite enjoying myself up until she said she didn't see what all the fuss was about, reffering to the virus: "It's only like a cold isn't it?" I told her it was a bit more serious than that. Anyway, she shouldn't talk to strange old blokes in supermarkets.:default_dry:

I'm self employed but packed up Thursday on good terms and agreed to go in if I'm needed, which I most likely won't be. 

I know people have been promised help with mortgages but a lot of youngsters seem to live up to their credit limits these days with cars, phones and tv contracts. I wonder if that will change? 

• Like 2

I am not a number, I am a free man!

Timbo's been very quiet of late! As many will have suspected Timbo had another stroke. This time matters were complicated by having an infection. The various proponents of quackery have a hard enough time separating stroke damage from my personal brand of idiocy, but throw in some delirium and they were about to give up on me. Fortunately, the old bonce eventually decided to 'kick in' and once again continue normal operations.

The world is so very strange and unfamiliar after a stroke. There is a feeling that something is wrong, but you can't put your finger on what? So when I say 'normal operations' I mean slowly cranking through the usual stages of recovery. Stage one involves the return of language. It's difficult to understand me. I slur, I have no intonation in my voice, I have trouble forming the correct mouth shapes when one side of the gob has a severe case of the droop and I swear. Oh boy do I swear. Each profanity naturally slips into a sentence between each word building the rhythm of a sentence with the clickety-clack of a train running over points. I can swear for England and I can swear for Rome. I can swear for Jerusalem and Palestine. But not in that order, because for some reason the first language that comes back is Arabic, followed by Latin, followed by a sprint to the finish between Hebrew and finally English, the easiest language of all. Then one by one each language, with the exception of English, fades to 'read only'.

Stage Two is getting my hands to obey instruction. I'm naturally sinister. That's left handed and nothing to do with strapping damsels to train tracks and twirling moustaches. My strokes occur on the right side of my brain which stops the left side of my body from working. Damned handy that is! I get the dropsy. Shards of crockery mount up like archaeological finds. As a smoker of roll ups the minute detail of retrieving a paper, putting tobacco into the paper, separating the strands, inserting a filter tip, rolling the cigarette and tamping the ends, then breaking it down and starting again, serves as good practise for digital dexterity. If you don't get it right there's a scorched earth policy applied to your nasal hairs.

Stages Three, Four, Five, Six, seven and eight all have to do with walking, reading, writing, comprehension, memory and social interaction. Anger is the biggest problem. I'm normally a patient, happy go lucky kind of a chap who has a way with words. After a stroke my patience is nil and my anger becomes a white hot fury accompanied with sudden bursts of wordage barbed and pointed. Ellie does her best to keep me calm and motivated and avoid stressors, although sometimes I think she does press my buttons and aim me at some doofus who had it coming. Of course five minutes after I've torn them a new one I will have forgotten about it.

Complications. I'm good at complications. Things like visiting an ice-cream parlour after a stroke and catching some bug that eats at your stomach lining so that the medications you take daily eat away at you, causing you to make trips back to hospital and then take even more medication to counteract the side effects of your existing medication. Meanwhile your GP insists on seeing you to discuss your stomach problem. You catch pneumonia as you do after every stroke and subsequent trip to hospital or GP. While reporting your pneumonia symptoms to your GP over the phone he insists you come visit the surgery again even though you tell him that your pneumonia symptoms are similar to Covid-19, but he insists you visit. You visit the GP, get your antibiotics and take them for a week with no change in symptoms. So you ring the GP to get the usual second prescription it always takes to clear your pneumonia. What's that? The GP has Covid-19? I'm at risk and also have to enter isolation? Whaddya mean 'good luck'? Yes, the world is a very strange place.

“Who are you?”

“The new Number Two.”

“Who is Number One?”

“You are Number Six!”

“ I am not a number; I am a free man! Wait...no, please no, I'm not in Wales am I?"

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Divorce rate will soar with pubs, gyms, leisure centres etc being closed and people having to spend more time together rather than having somewhere to escape to.

Perhaps on the other hand people will learn to appreciate each other and maybe themselves.

One of my daughters is a musician, all gigs cancelled, arghhh, but on coming home she took over our shed at the end of the garden and has gone into self imposed isolation.  She's got her keyboard, violin and kayak plus her simple needs, she's really at ease both with herself and life, despite no work! Mind you, the sun is shining, the water sparkling, not a bad place to isolate!

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I am not a number, I am a free man!

Timbo's been very quiet of late! As many will have suspected Timbo had another stroke. This time matters were complicated by having an infection.

Blimey Timbo, take care and work through those stages quickly and safely. Don't forget it's much better to be a Number Six than a Number Two! :default_beerchug:

'They' have shut 'My' pub :default_icon_e_surprised: :default_icon_e_surprised:  The Harvey Arms in Finningley.  It stayed open during WWII, this is proper serious.  I only go once a week (Well - I used to) now that's gonner.  MrsG will now have me home every evening seven days a week.  At least that's a benefit for her, lucky lady that she is

Griff

• Like 4