Corona Virus

Paul

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Perhaps on the other hand people will learn to appreciate each other and maybe themselves.

One of my daughters is a musician, all gigs cancelled, arghhh, but on coming home she took over our shed at the end of the garden and has gone into self imposed isolation.  She's got her keyboard, violin and kayak plus her simple needs, she's really at ease both with herself and life, despite no work! Mind you, the sun is shining, the water sparkling, not a bad place to isolate!

I am in isolation and was getting fed up already. I went into the conservatory looked out of the window and said to myself:-

" You ungrateful Ba%ta*d, you are better off than probably 10s of millions. Put up and shut up"

• Like 6

2 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Divorce rate will soar with pubs, gyms, leisure centres etc being closed and people having to spend more time together rather than having somewhere to escape to.

On the contrary I think: during the fuel shortage/miners strike/power cuts of the seventies, there was a baby boom around nine months later.....:facepalm:

54 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I am in isolation and was getting fed up already. I went into the conservatory looked out of the window and said to myself:-

" You ungrateful Ba%ta*d, you are better off than probably 10s of millions. Put up and shut up"

Are you in isolation because you are/feel poorly Chris?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

On a day like today you could always semaphore that white house in the distance. In the meantime I have painted one ceiling and cut the grass on the front lawn. Roll on the fishing season, no boats on the 24hr moorings!

• Like 1

Being self employed my earnings have now stopped. I'm currently mid way through a job at a local Church which has now been closed and they don't want the work finishing until it reopens. I have another job tendered with them which they have approved but again will not be opening the building for contractors until after the virus fears have diminished. The takeaway I deliver for have warned that they will not need me for the foreseeable future, they have one full time driver who they are keeping on but orders have plummeted. I and the other part time driver have to wait for things to improve and see if they want us back. 

Having budgeted for something like this I can take probably three months of no work before it gets interesting. Government are saying that I will get compensated if my earnings are severely effected by a working tax credit payment next year. I just hope the landlord doesn't mind his rent next year. 

20 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Are you in isolation because you are/feel poorly Chris?

No but I have arrhythmia and at the moment have a kidney infection so have been told to by the quack. I suppose I may fall into vunerable at the moment.

• Sad 1

I’ve been out on my bike for an hour or so this morning, after 3 days of home working the rig amortise was beginning to be felt so 15 miles of mainly country lanes. Quite a bit of traffic and the odd other cyclist and jogger, opportunity for a socially distant “good morning” across the road and some iron faces who on reflection could be cold or ill so no offence taken. Mrs T hasn’t been to the nearby gym since last weekend so she’s ordered a rowing machine, might indulge as my morning swims are out the window. The mother in law reported Sheringham Park was heaving so gave it a miss, I suppose with the cafes etc being closed and a bit of marketing the masses will corongregate...

This morning we went and did some shopping in Dartford. Of course all the pubs shut,coffee shops McDonalds most cafes etc a

Only doing take away.We did however get some very nice bread and cakes from a homemade local business. We also got some hand sanitizer and some very nice Donald Trump loo roll.Very nice of him to let his photo place on the loo rolls.:default_icon_clap::default_biggrin:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Being self employed my earnings have now stopped. I'm currently mid way through a job at a local Church which has now been closed and they don't want the work finishing until it reopens. I have another job tendered with them which they have approved but again will not be opening the building for contractors until after the virus fears have diminished. The takeaway I deliver for have warned that they will not need me for the foreseeable future, they have one full time driver who they are keeping on but orders have plummeted. I and the other part time driver have to wait for things to improve and see if they want us back. 

Having budgeted for something like this I can take probably three months of no work before it gets interesting. Government are saying that I will get compensated if my earnings are severely effected by a working tax credit payment next year. I just hope the landlord doesn't mind his rent next year. 

Supermarkets are hiring extra staff Paul, in your situation is it worth applying now rather than later.

We have members who are on their own for various reasons, to them I feel great sympathy. My wife has me and I have her, we might not see each other for hours but that does not equate to loneliness. On top of that all four daughters have phoned, how can I be lonely? Whilst I enjoy solitude I don't know how I'd cope with loneliness.

• Like 5

When I set off on my daily walk, the footpaths were positively heaving with people but as I got further away from civilisation the footfall was less.  Very windy so the larks weren't singing so well. 

My two days at work were different and quite stressful.  Being an opticians the plan currently is to try and stay open as best possible and deflect emergency eye problems away from the doctors and hospitals............... (did you know that Conjunctivitis can be a symptom of flu so please phone for advice don't present yourself at any health agency with the condition)

Over the last few weeks I have had a few run in with people not respecting our insistence that everyone applies sanitizer immediately they come in.  We have a sign that says please avoid touching the counter - one person pushed it aside!

I couldn't work out why my Fitbit that rarely reaches 10,000 passes before I get home (after walking to and from work) was much higher than usual.  Then I realised something I was doing every 5 minutes or so - applying hand sanitizer and the regular wiping down of all surfaces with Azowipes! The motion activates the fitbit

Stay safe everyone

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

We have members who are on their own for various reasons, to them I feel great sympathy. My wife has me and I have her, we might not see each other for hours but that does not equate to loneliness. On top of that all four daughters have phoned, how can I be lonely? Whilst I enjoy solitude I don't know how I'd cope with loneliness.

Very wise words Peter. 

Solitude can be very rewarding and creative but loneliness is very painful. From being a very close family I am now widowed living in Norfolk, my youngest is now officially Australian living in Melbourne and my eldest son lives in our native Buckinghamshire.

I am fortunate in that my eldest phones every night and my youngest every Sunday morning. However that is not face to face interaction. If I did not get out and strike up conversations and go to the clay shoot twice a month the only conversation I would have would be with my "lady who does" on a Wednesday. I guess it will be just that for a while now.

I do suffer loneliness, but for me the worst part, is when the loneliness calls it is accompanied by pangs of conscience. Because of our extremely busy lives at the time, both Judith and I did not understand loneliness and did not give her widowed mother and my widowed father the attention, in that respect, that they required for the few years they survived their spouses.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I do suffer loneliness, but for me the worst part, is when the loneliness calls it is accompanied by pangs of conscience. Because of our extremely busy lives at the time, both Judith and I did not understand loneliness and did not give her widowed mother and my widowed father the attention, in that respect, that they required for the few years they survived their spouses.

A situation from which we can all learn.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

No boats on the 24hr moorings!

Well I had intended to get down to the DTG moorings this weekend JM and enjoy the views across the new scrapes on Peto's but this biting east wind put me off . Too cold for kayaking. Even my dog wanted to leave the beach this morning. A first for this winter ! Went back home to self isolated in the warm.

Maybe next week as the temp improves.

Stay safe one and all.

• Like 1

We're hoping to be on the boat Friday week.Reson being we arranged  with Steve at Beccles to do some work on the boat.Long since unhappy with the look of the boat edges around the deck.Of cause theres concern with this virus, every day the country is shutting down.Marina and I are being careful as much as we can.We will check with Steve next week,if he is able to do the work.Shouldwe go ahead or not.What do others think?

The danger is that the whole country shuts down and nobody is working, against needless travel spreading the virus.

It is already kicking off about holiday makers traveling to Norfolk.

Getting in your own car and driving without stop to Norfolk, with all your supplies, then staying on your own boat is different to going by public transport to a holiday camp.

The difference is that one guy will have work available to him.

This scenario is a long way from people crowding together in pubs and restaurants, even on the last evening they are allowed to open, that is plain selfish and irresponsible.

Everything could change by friday.

The term 'lockdown' is used in the media, so far, this has meant social distancing. This appears to prevent 75% of transmission. Travel to work has been allowed in most countries.

If social distancing is not followed, who knows what will follow.

The important thing to remember is this is not forever.

• Like 4