Corona Virus

Paul

I'm expecting tighter restrictions by the end of next week mainly down to the kn0bheads that still want to gather and share the same spliff on every other park bench as of course they won't get anything too bad will they (we can only hope).

Luckily for me I'm on the edge of a town with open countryside just across an open playing field away and can get out in the open air easily and meet very few people (the dog will get fitter as will I), I very much feel for folk that live in flats in cities, I would be more worried about the mental impact than the sodding virus's effects.

9 minutes ago, lakesailor said:

Nbd just announced on Facebook their closing yard as well for time being .. I feel this is the start of all yards going that way emoji26.pngemoji26.pngemoji26.png

Inevitable and responsible, in my opinion. I would worry to what degree a boat had been cleaned. I would imagine that an effective deep-clean to each boat in a fleet would be impractical, as well as a health hazard for the cleaners. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sadly , as much as I would like to , common sense decrees that my visits to our boat and peaceful enjoyment of The Broads will have to be forgone for the foreseeable future.

The containment of this pandemic is paramount to safeguard the future of the U.K., friends and families and I too would welcome a move towards an official restriction of travel and enforced social distancing .

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

On 16/03/2020 at 20:25, MrBlueSky said:

With people being advised not to frequent pubs etc,whats the liklyhood of boating holidays being cancelled over the next few months ?

On 16/03/2020 at 20:48, JennyMorgan said:

I should think the likelihood is pretty much as near to nil as you are likely to get. Yes, the pubs might be closed but how many fifty berth boats are there on the Broads? Provided you are well then head for the Broads!! Just hope that those onboard the week before were virus free! 

• Haha 1

One of my daughters is an NHS consulting pharmacist, another is a special needs carer, both are in the front line. Both have made it abundantly clear to their doddery old dad what isolation consists of, at least where this blessed virus is concerned. Got to say that I was not aware, until now, just how virulent  Coronavirus is.  My wife and I are now in lock-down!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, SwanR said:

All of a sudden the world is a different place.

It is indeed, beyond surprisingly so. Three of my four daughters visited us today, a strange experience being on opposite sides of a patio door! The hygiene regime that has been imposed on us has been a surprise!

Have just watched the TV News and the total prats densely packed into public spaces such as Snowdon, amazing behaviour.

PS to you and all our members, take care, see you all on the other side!  

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Sadly , as much as I would like to , common sense decrees that my visits to our boat and peaceful enjoyment of The Broads will have to be forgone for the foreseeable future.

My trip up friday was to make sure the boat was in a condition I was happy to leave it for a few months without worrying, I even gave the stern glands an extra nip to reduce any dripping. :default_blink: Glad I gave the fuel tanks a good strong dose of marine 16 a couple of weeks ago.

The main bit now is to not worry about anything as trivial as missing a holiday, just worry about coming out the otherside with your health and finances relatively intact.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lakesailor said:

Just received an email from waverney river centre as on there mailing list and they have decided to close to visitors from tomorrow ( Monday ) until end of April at earliest .
Sad to hear.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I'm booked on Waveney Pisces for 6th April. The chances of that going ahead have been dwindling by the day and now gone altogether it seems. I'll phone them in the morning and see what the rebooking options are. 

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Perhaps just to worry whether your holiday provider will still be there in future. And that includes boatyards with marina moorings.

I was down on Silver Cloud last week, the rivers busy for March and all the pubs open. Even Roy's had toilet roll! What a difference  a week makes in the way things have escalated  and I will not becoming down for my April and May weeks. Horning Marina have said they can service the BCBM fleet without customer contact but I do feel that those of us travelling from the big conurbations (I'm on the Liverpool / Manchester axis) have a duty not to travel at all. As you can have the virus without initially knowing it, there is the risk of being stranded in the area, putting extra pressure on services needed by the local population. Hopefully the government plans to protect affected businesses will go some way to keep the local economy afloat (excuse pun) until this thing passes.

Fred

• Like 2

I do wonder how the syndicate boats will survive. Not being businesses as such I don't suppose that government support of any kind will be available. I expect that all up-front costs have been covered but I suppose that allocated weeks will be lost and maybe service companies will step back.  

Hylander, could you please indicate if this was an official NHS or Government source (or other reputable source) of advice.

much as we wish to spread advice that will help people there is an absolute ton of disinformation circulating on the internet at the moment, and we dont need to be spreading any of that. we have already had to deal with a rash of inaccurate posts on the facebook group and have already restricted the advice posts there to government or NHS advice.

2 minutes ago, grendel said:

Hylander, could you please indicate if this was an official NHS or Government source (or other reputable source) of advice.

much as we wish to spread advice that will help people there is an absolute ton of disinformation circulating on the internet at the moment, and we dont need to be spreading any of that. we have already had to deal with a rash of inaccurate posts on the facebook group and have already restricted the advice posts there to government or NHS advice.

I was told in an email from my daughter in law that this was the advice given to NHS staff.     Am I certain of that , in a nutshell, no.    Now if you wish to take this down please do so.    It didnt make for good reading but did make a lot of sense.

Sorry to say but a lot of the information in Hylander's post is not proven.    Please be careful, follow the advice from NHS  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/  and from the government https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus   as there is an awful lot of false information circling out in the ether.

https://www.thatsnonsense.com/list-of-coronavirus-facts-from-internal-email-at-st-georges-hospital-fact-check/

• Like 1

It might be worth the moderation team considering limiting any links in relation to Corona virus threads to a short list of trusted sources and removing any other links that get posted.

I would suggest

nhs.uk

gov.uk

Mainstream UK press

Local Broads businesses reporting suspension of operations and hopefully at some point in the future resumption of operations.

if you look at the post we did over in public information, it is just that ECIPA,  NHS and Gov.uk -with the exception of mainstream UK press, which can also be a bit iffy at times.

the business information we are allowing to run here and on the other associated thread.