Corona Virus

Paul

9 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Whereabouts/how big is the crack Grendel? The regs are quite a bit more relaxed these days, if it doesnt directly affect your view of the road it could pass with a minor.

I always understood that the crack would only "fail" if it came within the arc of the windscreen wipers?

Just now, Vaughan said:

Yes, sure, but if modern-day " elf'n safety" had anything to do with it, we would never dare get out of bed in the morning.

I actually heard some pillock of a presenter on Radio Norfolk this morning say that any car journey other than for essential shopping or a medical reason etc could mean diverting 'essential services. ,breakdown co. etc. " not being available to NHS or other emergency personel in the event of anaccident or breakdown ". 

Yes, and maybe we should all stop using knives in the kitchen in case we cut ourselves !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I always understood that the crack would only "fail" if it came within the arc of the windscreen wipers?

That was/is the case but now even if it does encroach on the swept area of the windscreen but you can only see the sky or bonnet(for example) through that part then it will get a Minor failure . Minor failures do not actually cause the test to be failed over all. 

DVSA updated the test in 2018 and there are now 3 catagories of failure -DANGEROUS, MAJOR and MINOR - any item in the first two will cause an overall fail but you can have as many Minors as you like and still pass.

The old advisory notices are still there but only to be used if an appropriate Minor isn't available.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Whereabouts/how big is the crack Grendel? The regs are quite a bit more relaxed these days, if it doesnt directly affect your view of the road it could pass with a minor.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/3-visibility

Of course it will be down the individual tester to make the decision.

passenger side 18 " long

2 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

If all else fails and you cant get it changed it might be worth trying a bit of wd40 in the crack, it makes it disappear for a while on phone screens, allegedly.

Until they do the test of the washers and you fail for worn blades due to the oily smears on the screen!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Passenger side is good, is it in the area swept by the wipers? and what can you see if you look through that part?

18 " right across the swept area from the corner up, its mostly in an area looking just above the bonnet to that side, insurance immediately said replacement when they heard it described.

19 minutes ago, grendel said:

18 " right across the swept area from the corner up, its mostly in an area looking just above the bonnet to that side, insurance immediately said replacement when they heard it described.

Yeah doesn't sound great but without seeing it it's hard to say, I'd carry on with the replacement but if you get stuck try having a word with your MOT station to see what they think, you never know it might go through.

Although garages are allowed to remain open, the firm I work for have closed all our dealerships for the forseeable.

Pleased to report the builders merchants had locked down today, or at least shut the gates and restricted entry. Should calm the panic buying of 4x2, tile spline, Portland cement, sharp sand, wheelbarrows, grp “onion” cess pit... which reminds me please spare a thought for the key essential worker of the countryside when quietly going about your daily business, aka the honey cart driver! Tanks for relieving our rural dwellers of their sewage waste, to our members you're the foulth emergency service.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grendel said:

It'll be fine mate. A minor to get fixed as soon as practical. The crack in my Mondeo has been there over two years now but it's not obscuring the drivers view so it's ok.