Corona Virus

Paul

I think by friday all construction and building work will cease, just emergency call outs.

The builders merchants are open but you phone the order in and they deliver. This won't last long.

I have shut up shop completely except my admin sending out furlough notices and finishing remote set up to pay wages and bills.

The last job in an empty property is finished so the owner can fit his kitchen back in and move back home.

Turn the lights out as you leave. :default_blink:

The graphs I have seen show if we rigidly follow the advice the peak they are aiming for is past in 8 weeks, too soon and it leaps again in the summer, to slow and the peak comes in autumn and winter.

It really is finley balanced.

I have seen the plans for the new hospital at Excel, it frightened the cr#p out of me, this is serious planning.

Plan for it but hope we don't need even half the capacity.

It is reassuring that the goverment are organised, the public just need to LISTEN and ISOLATE. Now.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

the public just need to LISTEN and ISOLATE. Now.

They do indeed. I think the message is beginning to sink in. Problem is, I believe some companies particularly in the building trade, are insisting that their employees turn up for work. I understand that a large manufacturer of kitchen units is trying to claim their work is essential and putting their workforce at risk. If folk can do without tiling, I'm sure that they can do without new kitchen units :default_biggrin: 

3 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

They do indeed. I think the message is beginning to sink in. Problem is, I believe some companies particularly in the building trade, are insisting that their employees turn up for work. I understand that a large manufacturer of kitchen units is trying to claim their work is essential and putting their workforce at risk. If folk can do without tiling, I'm sure that they can do without new kitchen units :default_biggrin: 

We suggested the client should take the precaution of storing the old kitchen until the new one arrived.

It isn't going to arrive so at least he has some units.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

A nice Aran sweater size large would be welcome.

paul

Sadly Ruth can't knit anymore due to arthritis but crochet is possible, also cross stitch. Dolls house carpets come high on her list of hobbies, most her own design. All this allows me to work on our boats......or is it she lets me play boats to get me out of the way.:default_biggrin:

Colin

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Islander said:

Sadly Ruth can't knit anymore due to arthritis but crochet is possible

Oh how I feel for her! My wife was in the same boat and had to take to crochet. She has since had a grommet inserted into a finger, which helped a lot. Following a bad fall on her shoulder and getting on for two years of extreme pain and two operations she has picked up her needles again. The surgeon is well pleased with his handiwork and we are just so grateful! A cup of tea and a biscuit on the hour and that's my duty done, loving it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Stranger said:

can someone explain to me how THICK some people are we have friends she is a carer he is a machinist she is still going from house to house doing her normal self employed he is in a machine shop working as normal  yesterday she worked as normal  then went to visit her daughter and granddaughter   then went home to husband who is working with loads of others so shes done several households in a day  with a chance of spreading anything where is the sence???????     

We should be very careful before criticising care givers without knowing the full circumstances. A distant cousin of mine, or rather a cousin of my late father's is a self employed care worker working on contract with the county council giving secondary care for elderly and frail people. This is non personal care like laundry, shopping and cleaning. She bills the County Council £12 per hour for each two hour visit compared to often in excess of £30 per hour that care companies charge (not that their staff see anything like that). She has been asked not only to continue, but also take on extra calls during this time to help out with people who have been instructed to shield or self isolate.  She has been instructed by the council as to the precautions she should take and they are providing masks, face shield, latex gloves and disposable aprons. She's currently working 7 days a week looking after more than thirty elderly or vulnerable people.

Just because she is self employed makes her service no less vital than the primary care workers and saves the county council a great deal of money by no having to engage care companies to undertake these visits at much greater cost. 

Without her, or others like her the people who rely on her would have no food in the house, no clean clothes to wear or pots to eat off. 

• Like 4

Just been to my local Morrisons to get a few bits and pieces. Good to see the social distancing measures are being implemented. Security on the door limiting the amount of customers. Queue to get in being policed with 2m spacing. Checkout queues marked out on the floor. Perspex screens around cashiers. Bought some things I wasn't expecting to! Was I stock piling, no! I guess the supply chain has now caught up and exceeded demand. Lots of fresh fruit / salad marked down. Some ready meals marked down. Fish and meat marked down. I hate seeing waste so one or two extra items purchased for the freezer and I mean one or two.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

We should be very careful before criticising care givers without knowing the full circumstances. A distant cousin of mine, or rather a cousin of my late father's is a self employed care worker working on contract with the county council giving secondary care for elderly and frail people. This is non personal care like laundry, shopping and cleaning. She bills the County Council £12 per hour for each two hour visit compared to often in excess of £30 per hour that care companies charge (not that their staff see anything like that). She has been asked not only to continue, but also take on extra calls during this time to help out with people who have been instructed to shield or self isolate.  She has been instructed by the council as to the precautions she should take and they are providing masks, face shield, latex gloves and disposable aprons. She's currently working 7 days a week looking after more than thirty elderly or vulnerable people.

Just because she is self employed makes her service no less vital than the primary care workers and saves the county council a great deal of money by no having to engage care companies to undertake these visits at much greater cost. 

Without her, or others like her the people who rely on her would have no food in the house, no clean clothes to wear or pots to eat off. 

Paul, the way I read Stranger's post is NOT that he was criticising her work as a carer, but her lack of social distancing in her own time, given the vulnerable people she is looking after in work time. It sounds like whether she is a carer or not, she is ignoring the social distancing rules. These are even more important for someone in her line of work. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Paul, the way I read Stranger's post is NOT that he was criticising her work as a carer, but her lack of social distancing in her own time, given the vulnerable people she is looking after in work time. It sounds like whether she is a carer or not, she is ignoring the social distancing rules. These are even more important for someone in her line of work. 

That's a fair point, there is no excuse for family visiting (unless of course they are vulnerable too though that doesn't seem to be the case here). It might not be nice, our kids are missing their cousins and granny especially but we have explained why.

11 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Just been to my local Morrisons to get a few bits and pieces. Good to see the social distancing measures are being implemented. Security on the door limiting the amount of customers. Queue to get in being policed with 2m spacing. Checkout queues marked out on the floor. Perspex screens around cashiers. Bought some things I wasn't expecting to! Was I stock piling, no! I guess the supply chain has now caught up and exceeded demand. Lots of fresh fruit / salad marked down. Some ready meals marked down. Fish and meat marked down. I hate seeing waste so one or two extra items purchased for the freezer and I mean one or two.

|I'v just been to Aldi and done a shop aimed at being two weeks and lots of fresh produce marked down there too. They also have spacings marked at the entrance and checkouts though no queues when I arrived> what I cannot understand in the ignorance of some people who push right past you to get to the items you are currently shopping. Twice it happened to me this afternoon. On both occasions the offenders got told how ignorant they were being. 

• Like 3

It may all change, hopefully not, but at Morrisons today it was almost comical at times with people kind of dancing around each other, backing of or going out of their way not to pass to closely and a couple of times that after you, no after you, no after you kind of stand off.

15 minutes ago, RumPunch said:

Would wearing this in the supermarket be frowned upon ?

IMG_3019.JPG

I suppose it would depend if you were carrying a gun and a sack and was meaning to "Do-Over" the tills

One of my daughters lives in Beccles, a near neighbour of hers is a nurse who has contracted Corona Virus. That brave lady has put her own life on the line for people she doesn't even know, as are two of my other daughters. 

Beyond that it is getting nearer and nearer.

Have a good honk!

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

One of my daughters lives in Beccles, a near neighbour of hers is a nurse who has contracted Corona Virus. That brave lady has put her own life on the line for people she doesn't even know, as are two of my other daughters. 

Beyond that it is getting nearer and nearer.

Have a good honk!

My daughter is a nurse working on a Covid Ward. Worrying times indeed.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JawsOrca said:

All, don't forget 8pm tonight. I'll be sounding Autonomy's (our Broom's) quad airhorns here too, if you are on a boat please make as much as noise as possible! Lets be heard and show our appreciation :)

Clapforourcarers.jpg

Very important to show our support.  Wife and I on the doorstep at 8.00pm.  Next door neighbour came out (safe distance) and we clapped.  Could hear a few also in the distance but not sure we got the message over where we live.  Lets do it again soon

with hands on our horns so that EVERYONE can hear our support?

• Like 3

My daughter is a senior sister at the James Paget hospital in Gorleston.  She has been in a management and training role for a few years but she is now going "back on the wards" in her old speciality, which was intensive care.  She says she doesn't think she can remember how to do it all.  I bet she can!

She always used to say that she liked intensive care as she prefers her patients to be unconscious!  Well you've got to have a sense of humour in that job, haven't you?

• Like 11

It was good to see plenty of my neighbours out last night, a few let the side down but maybe wondered what the flip was going on as I only heard about it mid day yesterday.

There was quite a bit of noise from other streets too.

Thanks to all NHS heroes for having our backs as best you can!

No doubt once it's all over a&e will still be full of gobby abusive pond life on a Friday night but we can only hope for a change in attitudes.

• Like 2