Corona Virus

Paul

From WHO.

Viruses can live in very low temperatures.

The Coronavirus SARS could be active in a fridge at 4 degrees for up to 72 hours.

SARS was also stable in a freezer at –20 for up to 2 years.

So it is possible that unless a vaccine is found that there could be outbreaks again in the future.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

That's the spirit webntweb - fill the lot of us with eternal hope and optimism  :facepalm:

Thanks for the info all the same :default_icon_bowdown:

Griff

I'm not trying to be the bringer of doom and gloom, more forewarned is forearmed.

Roy

• Like 3

My good friends mother succumbed to this virus yesterday. She was 82 and was going through her second spell of cancer treatment.

It actually was a blessing as her quality of life and dignity were going South. That doesn't take away the seriousness of this situation. 

People On here with a long memory will remember my personal fight , but this sends home  the message that real life is your family and health. Nothing else really matters.

Working hard and spending what you've got, on what you want , creating fabulous memories which last forever are all that matters.

I'm booked to return to the broads for a week in July. I don't think it will happen , but I will leave my money with the hire company, knowing normality will return at some point.

Take care all. Xx

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

BBC Website this morning:

A driver flouted the coronavirus lockdown to pick up £15 windows with his wife in the boot of his car.

The man, who had bought the windows on eBay, was stopped by police on the M6 in Cheshire on Sunday after collecting his purchase in Salford.

Police said his wife had to sit in the boot as she "could not fit in the vehicle" for the return journey to Coventry.

North West Motorway Police issued the man with a traffic offence report.

I think the windows will now cost a bit more than £15 ! Perhaps his wife should be commended for a novel approach to self-isolating :35_thinking:

• Like 4

On 25/03/2020 at 21:04, BroadAmbition said:

I have a job pending in my village, literally just round the corner.  All the materials are either with me or the client.  It's a two day job.  I could do with earning the brass.  

Griff

Goverment guidelines update 29th March say`s as long as a couple of things are agreed you could do this job. 

Nobody in the house must be showing signs or self isolating and the 2m distance is observed.

• Thanks 1

I have a job in two weeks time in an empty house unfortunately just heard that all property conveyancing has stopped, which probably means the job is off, so the words shagged and ass come to mind,Can't even go on the bloody boat sod it

• Sad 1

If the property is empty and not in a chain with occupied properties involved, then sales can go ahead. Solicitors are doing simultaneous exchange and completion.

I have one scheduled for Wednesday, one Friday and hopefully one on Monday. These are more dependant on buyers not panicking more than solicitors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a committee of judges deciding how long prison terms should be, irrespective of acts of parliament.

We have a committee of senior police officers deciding which laws to enforce, and how, irrespective of acts of parliament.

Now we have NICE and Public Health England to deal with.

I see from tonight's news programs that a million "Instant" testing kits are on their way from China and should be here within a couple of days.

PHE have said they have not authorised their use. Surely the only "authorisation" required is whether they work ? If they don't work how did they come to be ordered and surely the time for PHE to be involved was at the point of placing the order, not now. Virus testing is clearly a hot potato at the moment. Surely the relevant department were satisfied these tests work (I believe there is data from other countries to that effect). We need testing on the front line NOW and continuously, all we get is stories of "confusion"

If this country is to be run by committee I offer my services to The Committee To Ensure Tottenham Hotspur Wins A Trophy Before Hartlepool Do, The Committee For The Restoration Of Real Fish & Chips and most importantly The Committee For The Abolition Of Unnecessary Committees.

Rant over,  toys and pram still intact.

• Like 2

Is it better to buy a few hundred tests and evaluate them, then order 3.5 million and wait

Or

Order 3.5 million and hope they are accurate but test they are acurate before sending out to use.

A bad test is worse than no test.

If it takes 'committees' to get us through and cut through red tape at a time like this, bring it on.

The police are interpreting the law, some got over eager. They have now received 'guidance'.

All these things normally happen over months or years normally, they are being implemented in days.

These aren't normal times and require different measures.

I am just grateful we have leadership from above rather than an orange buffoon with his head in the sand.

Stay safe.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

A bad test is worse than no test.

Spot on, as a bad test might give erroneous results leading to those in positions of authority making bad decisions based on those flawed tests. No data is better than wrong data. 

2 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

They have now received 'guidance'

Actually a number of Chief Constables got what is better known as "a right b*llocking." Police forces can only uphold the law, not political opinion or advice and that is a hugely important safeguard in our law enforcement system.

• Like 2

There is a huge row going on in our village at the moment over people frequently visiting the local supermarket to buy newspapers, lottery tickets and scratchcards etc.  Frequently as in every morning. The staff, not unreasonably in my view are upset because they are being required to work in order to provide an essential service, defined by government as "buying food as infrequently as possible". 

There is a really heated debate on the village facebook page and the Police have been called but have said they cannot do anything as the CV Bill doesn't empower them to make people stay at home, only to prevent non essential travel which is difficult to define. 

The staff are threatening to close the store if people don't take the lock down more seriously but apparently under the bill they cannot now do that, as they are legally obliged to maintain their "essential service"

Completely empathise with your local store staff. We used to be people that popped into a store almost daily, but not now. We are staying at home and trying to limit shopping trips.

I have a gripe though. My youngest wants to come home from Uni this weekend. I think he’s probably already had ‘the’ bug (three weeks ago he had a temperature and coughing, and a week later one of his friends was officially diagnosed with it), so we think it’s probably safe to bring him home. But I’ve been looking online for advice for parents of students who are at the end of term...can I find any? Nope. The UK.gov site only has advice for international students.

I think that’s a big omission!

• Like 1

the problem is if he has had the virus, he could now be a carrier, so if he came home he could spread it to your household, so potentially spreading it from the area of the university to your area, I think this is the kind of transfer the government are hoping to stop (or at least slow down). then again I am not sure how long after someone has recovered they are likely to infect others?

8 hours ago, Paul said:

Actually a number of Chief Constables got what is better known as "a right b*llocking."

As an ex special constable in the 70s, I shudder at what I see now on TV.

Telling a shop keeper that he can't sell Easter eggs because they are not an essential item? When all school kids are locked up at home?

I think their behaviour is a disgrace to the Queen's uniform.

If anyone could say "I told you so" right now, it would be George Orwell.

• Like 7

It's a tricky one.looking back a few weeks, so much panic buying. Things were getting out of hand,there was a need for order by and large things have cairmed down in the main.There needs to be a balance with Policing. Its a burden of overstretched Policing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grendel said:

the problem is if he has had the virus, he could now be a carrier, so if he came home he could spread it to your household, so potentially spreading it from the area of the university to your area, I think this is the kind of transfer the government are hoping to stop (or at least slow down). then again I am not sure how long after someone has recovered they are likely to infect others?

According to the CMO the other day your at your most infectious BEFORE symptoms show, and non infectious by 7 days after they appear hence the 7 days isolation if you show symptoms. Anyone who lives with you must self isolate for 14 days in case they become infected 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Paul said:

According to the CMO the other day your at your most infectious BEFORE symptoms show, and non infectious by 7 days after they appear hence the 7 days isolation if you show symptoms. Anyone who lives with you must self isolate for 14 days in case they become infected 

Isn't this what they have always said, about the Common Cold?