Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

Paul

Corona Virus

Recommended Posts

just looked at that ebay listing - £168 for 28 bottles that normally sell for around 50p each, thats a 10x price hike, more worrying is someone was desperate enough to pay that amount.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grendel said:

just looked at that ebay listing - £168 for 28 bottles that normally sell for around 50p each, thats a 10x price hike, more worrying is someone was desperate enough to pay that amount.

Be cheaper to carry round a cloth soaked in vodka/gin/scotch! I see Asda do a bottle of vodka for £5.75  - that would soak a few cloths. 😷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some virus's don't die from alcohol wash they just get stickier so stay on surfaces easier, and some bacteria do well with it too, I think it's C-diff that is better killed off with soap and water than alcohol gel.

A hydrocarbon with water does the diesel bug no harm after all......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that you will find the alcohol in propriety handgels are in there as a quite drying agent. Brand names such as Carex have a comprehensive mix of anti- bacterials in their gels and handwashes. These days you can't just claim kills 99%. Sure that is in Lab conditions but never the less they have to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Carex have a comprehensive mix of anti- bacterials in their gels and handwashes.

The problem there is that so many people don't understand that bacterial infections and viruses are different beasts entirely, they tend to just think "germs", usually the same idiots that run to the docs and demand antibiotics for a common cold.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is slight "thread drift" but ...a rather big "but", We know that face masks offer no protection from catching the virus, but does assist the reduction of it's spreading from an infected wearer.

Surely therefore there will be no "panic buying" of face masks, there will be no "profiteering from fear" and there will be no holding society to ransom.

SO, the fellow buying all the stock of face masks was, in reality, buying stock with a view of selling it on at a profit. This is just common business practice. Similar may be said of those buying anti bacteria hand cleanser, and given that it may or may not help, and also bearing in mind that soap and water we are told is effective, then these people have no case to answer.

Maybe the "hang 'em high" committee has slightly missed the point... as have those people buying the stuff! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you cant get hand sanitizer I think standard surgical spirit should work ok. under £2 for 200 ml. You could probably stretch it a bit by diluting 50 50 with water. Mind you Aldi's white rum would be cheaper, at least if you catch the virus you could drink it to drown your sorrows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as we have hand sanitiser gel dispensers at work, it was a breeze to top up my nearly empty bottle on my desk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, grendel said:

as we have hand sanitiser gel dispensers at work, it was a breeze to top up my nearly empty bottle on my desk.

With the price climbing? Watch that does not become a taxable benefit in kind.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the simplest and hardest things to do is one which I learned as a lab based microbiologist almost 36 years ago. It’s simple and hard: DON’T TOUCH YOUR FACE. 
 

You would be amazed how frequently most people do this. All the mask wearing hand sanitizing and washing is not going to work if you keep touching your face. 
 

So follow the government advice, WHO advice.

and: 

DON’T TOUCH YOUR FACE. 
 

Martin 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malanka said:

You would be amazed how frequently most people do this. All the mask wearing hand sanitizing and washing is not going to work if you keep touching your face. 

do you know where i can get some handcuffs (asking for a friend) as this would be the only way I  He could manage this.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, grendel said:

do you know where i can get some handcuffs (asking for a friend) as this would be the only way I  He could manage this.

Now I know I'm on the right forum. I was off down the shed to find the cone collar the dog had to ware but the handcuffs sound more fun.

Colin :default_drinks:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, grendel said:

do you know where i can get some handcuffs (asking for a friend) as this would be the only way I  He could manage this.

If anyone here could make a pair of working handcuffs my money would be on you Grendel 🍺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you do start noticing when you touch your face, it is hard to train yourself out of it. 
Will handcuffs then be the next ‘out of stock’ item d’you think? 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grendel was ‘asking for a friend’.:default_eusa_dance:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe if the various forms of media stopped whipping up the panic they seem to specialise in with various current issues we will all be the better off, while this is of some concern it is by no means a major catastrophy at the moment, world wide numbers wise it is still very small scale and dosnt warrant all the hype it is being given.

Fred

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grendel do you want fluffy pink ones ? Polly might have a pair lying about. 
 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Polly said:

Yes you do start noticing when you touch your face, it is hard to train yourself out of it. 
Will handcuffs then be the next ‘out of stock’ item d’you think? 🤪

its ok ive a few pairs could let you have and leg shackles

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the harsh reality. It would seem to me that anyone contemplating a holiday abroad must by now be fully aware that there is a very real risk of being quarantined, either at destination or on return home. That hundreds of flights have already been cancelled speaks volumes. Health care professionals that I personally know are worried and there don't appear to be any predictions as to when this will burn itself out. I would guess that the foreign holiday industry is in for a severe kicking this year. Will such as Spain or Greece really want to import the problem? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Back to the harsh reality. It would seem to me that anyone contemplating a holiday abroad must by now be fully aware that there is a very real risk of being quarantined, either at destination or on return home. That hundreds of flights have already been cancelled speaks volumes. Health care professionals that I personally know are worried and there don't appear to be any predictions as to when this will burn itself out. I would guess that the foreign holiday industry is in for a severe kicking this year. Will such as Spain or Greece really want to import the problem? 

How many will holiday at home instead I wonder. Maybe think about a boating holiday...............:default_stinky:  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Malanka said:

One of the simplest and hardest things to do is one which I learned as a lab based microbiologist almost 36 years ago. It’s simple and hard: DON’T TOUCH YOUR FACE. 
 

You would be amazed how frequently most people do this. All the mask wearing hand sanitizing and washing is not going to work if you keep touching your face. 
 

So follow the government advice, WHO advice.

and: 

DON’T TOUCH YOUR FACE. 
 

Martin 

When they keep telling us that bacteria enters our systems via mouth, nose, eyes etc, I can’t understand why this vital information is not included in the Government’s advice. It should be, along with washing your hands (and washing them properly).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • NBN Mobile App

    Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

    Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.