Corona Virus

Paul

Whilst nobody knows when restrictions will end, what we can be very certain off is that it will not be a total deregulation but a phased return to normal. Corona Virus will never go away, there are references to "herd immunity" but depending on the virulence of the virus that can take several years to establish. Vaccines are twelve months away at least and even then would take months to produce in sufficient quantity even to protect vulnerable individuals and front line workers. 

Lock down will not last forever, but we should be prepared for a certain degree of restriction for some time to come.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

Any ideas to get it to gel?

Google E463, Hydroxypropyl cellulose. Not many gelling agents work with high alcohol content and most that do are not skin safe. Be careful with  your alcohol content, 60% is the minimum to be effective but above 70% you will burn skin with regular use. Use emolients such as Aloe Vera gel to bulk out the alcohol content and provide the skin protection needed. Try and use pure ingredients in your sanitiser not ready made creams as they will only have the required volume of emolients for there volume, and will not be sufficient once further diluted. 

I wouldn't be too hung up on gelling your sanitiser, a liquid sanitier in a small spray bottle is just as effective  

• Thanks 1

I was just watching the web cam in Shetland.   Quite a queue of traffic and much the same traffic as normal.   Also saw two people walk down the road and go into the same corner shop,  no tapes out there showing you where you have to stand.   Has Shetland not got the same restrictions as us.

https://www.shetlandwebcams.com/taxi-rank/

Screenshot (289).png

1 hour ago, MotorBoater said:

Are we getting fed drip by drip to condition us to the idea no-one is going anywhere this year ?

I'm guessing but I suspect that we are going no-where this summer. 

Just a thought, zoo's can't simply put their animals into storage,  it must be a worrying time for their owners.

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I'm guessing but I suspect that we are going no-where this summer. 

Just a thought, zoo's can't simply put their animals into storage,  it must be a worrying time for their owners.

And they still need their food.

If this goes on much beyond summer, it is going to wipe out whole sectors of our economy. I don't think that the government can borrow enough to cover wage bills  and support businesses for that length of time. My guess is that they will want to keep the old and infirm at home whilst getting as many as possible of the young working population back to work and paying tax as soon as possible. 

• Like 1

I see it as we have two options. "Wait and see" or "speculate".

Speculation is the greater of the two evils. It will lead to depressing scenarios, worry and general tears. I see no plusses to be gleaned from it. In the words of Corporal Frazer, "We're all doooomed"

"Wait and see" could be said as burying our heads in the sand, but it is without doubt the less depressing option.

Please don't speculate in public. It helps nobody and could make you blind. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

This is the hardest thing the World has seen,since the war.Lets hope the way to defeat this horrible disease, is for the world to work together. There seems to be much cooperation between many minds across the world doing just that.A magic bullet is still along way off.Everywhere life has almost stopped. Think testing will help to identify those that have had it and getting people returning to work.China seems to got a hold on this thing.Often in history  at times of real disaster and suffering technology makes a job.Theres a real need to speed up reaching for a cure and or control. We still sadly are a long way off , but  let's hope the World will on top of this.

Often in my life,my glass is half empty. Is this dreadful time now ,I like to think its half full.In these time it brings out the best and worst in people .I think the best is winning out.So much being done to help us all.Thankfully the worst are few.Tomorow will be a test with temps up to 20 degrees .Most weekend s countryside ,zoos,rivers ,beaches would be packed. Sad as it is we must stay away

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

There was a medical type on the BBC this morning saying that we are at least three months away from a return to normality, that takes us up to June. The fishing season starts on June 16th so fingers crossed that 'at least' becomes 'at most'.

You didnt say this year or next.    I dont think until we get a vaccine we will ever get back to normal as we know it.    Like others I am hoping for the best and prepared for the worst and there could be a lot more worse to come.   It seems odd that some people are still flouting the regulations (my old Mum in Law now gone loved that word,  everything was to do with the Regulations).     

I have been reading a book once more that I have had for some time now called Nella Last's War about the Second World War Diaries of Housewife 49 (there is a video starring Victoria Wood bless her).     When you read it and realise how shortages were in the war,  we have not even scratched the surface, plus your family was either in the forces in God knows where in the world (no mobile phones or Skype) and those that stayed were mainly poorly or in proper essential services, together with the fact that your home could be bombed at any time.   Thank goodness we dont have that.:6973434b8b31cd5effed88c7cbb2f1149d4af7_t:   This was the only flag I could fined.      What would Iain have made of it all.

• Like 4

There still seems to be a great deal of worldwide debate on face masks. The US has suggested everybody wears one (although Trump says he won’t!) and our government seems to think it’s not necessary. The reasons for the latter thinking have been clearly stated but of course that is today - who knows what they will say tomorrow! The problem will be if it suddenly becomes the rule, at the moment the NHS can’t get enough PPE so where would face masks come from for the masses? An opening here for an enterprising person perhaps, donations of spare bras and sewing kits??

• Like 2

I've been to a certain supermarket this morning, not one I normally visit, We have our main shop down two every week and a half now, that we have found is the capacity of our large fridge and small freezer. Midway between trips to the supermarket I need to get fresh bread and milk and that was this morning's task, along with a few non food bits which I would not go out on purpose for, but hoped to get alongside the milk and bread. More exercise books for the eldest's home schooling as he has filled the two I originally got him, things that he has left in his pencil case at school such as ruler and compass and more printer paper. Hence my choice of supermarket this morning as it has a large non food section.

The car park is now awash with plastic barriers herding you to a marshal's post from where you are directed to a specific space, not something I was too happy about as the car park in question is notorious for parking dents or "doorings". I like to park in the furthest reaches where few others go, and the walk to the store affords the opportunity for a woodbine, or at least today's electronic equivalent. None of that now, if you want to shop you must head for the allocated space. Once parked I was instructed to stay in the car until called forward, which was a wait of around 40 minutes, then it's join the queue standing in your own two meter box. After another 30 minutes or more I was in, only to find the proliferation of plastic barriers in the car park continue inside, with all of the non food aisles closed off and a one way system around the store, with blue lines every two meters. Don't move into the next box until it is clear, and don't forget anything or change your mind as there is no going back. Nor can you short cut any part of the store, you have to go up and down each aisle in turn as the aisle ends are also blocked off. Then once you get too the end of this store snake it's queue in line at two meter intervals until called forward to an available check out.

Now I fully buy into the lock down, and the social distancing. I accept that the better we do it the sooner it is likely, if not to end, then at least be relaxed but I think this has gone a bit far. I was in the store for nearly an hour for two bottles of milk, a sliced tiger, a dozen soft rolls and half a pound of butter. I could have done that in five minutes, been out of the store making space for someone else to enter, and back in the safety of my own home. As it was I was out for nearly three hours and ended up having to go to my dear namesakes in town for the bits for Jimbo's school work after all.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 3