Corona Virus

Paul

Paul, as i related elsewhere my morning shop went rather easily and i managed to get around my normal 3 supermarkets in just 2 hours, the first 2 having no queues (i must have timed it just right as there were queues as i came out) i eventually managed to get my normal shop plus the list my daughter had given me (one person shopping per household),

the shops were set up so there were arrows, but you could skip aisles you didnt need and backtrack as necessary, people were respecting the 2m spacing of everyone, and the queues at the tills were just one or two people long, its my feeling that everyone has been shopping through the week, and the chap on the doors at sainsburys confided that 7pm was a quiet time there, the good thing i saw was complete strangers chatting to each other (maintaining the 2m spacing) while queuing.

• Like 3

This morning I had a letter from Mssrs Hancock and Jenrick telling me, as well as much else, to register on Gov.uk as extremely vulnerable because of my COPD.

Obviously I'm doing as I'm told because I have to believe these people are doing their best but I have had numerous texts, letters and phone calls already and I'm starting to worry that there may be an element of duplication here.

I get the idea of making sure all bases are covered but I'm now wondering if there really is a central direction on this.

I am , or will be, covered by the County Council, The Borough Council and the government but I still can't get an order delivered by supermarkets who are actively encouraging online ordering whilst unable to service the customers they already have. All three agencies have now promised assistance "In the next few days".

I'm retired and at risk, my wife works but is furloughed on 80%. The whole house is supposed to be in lockdown because of me. We can pay our way (On a level playing field) and the service offered to me could be available to someone in greater need but I can't get food into the house whatever I try so the wife has to risk it !

Medicines appear deliverable at least and I'll be testing that in the next few days.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking any of the efforts so far (Well, exclude the supermarkets from that), I'm just wondering about the joined up thinking. Hopefully lessons learned will be stored for the future and we never get caught out like this again.

Paul, would that be the same supermarket with a TV advert telling people what measures they have brought in, showing a fully stocked shop bearing no relation to the situation in their branches near home ?

52 minutes ago, Hylander said:

You could not make it up,  just seen a canoeist going down the river at Wroxham - what makes him think that he is any different from anyone else.      Stay at Home..

To add too you couldn`t make it up ......................

Setting fire to mobie phone masts in Birmingham because 5g spreads the virus. And a lady in a foreign country (don`t know where but think dark clothing and black shawl) saying it is safe in churches with many other people because you can`t get it in a holy place.

While there are aspects of this emergency that everyone will find difficult, frustrating, claustrophobic and downright annoying.

Think that there are 6 children of two nurses who woke up this morning without a mother.

Sadly others will have to face the same tragedy and heartbreak.

• Sad 5

20 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

To add too you couldn`t make it up ......................

Setting fire to mobie phone masts in Birmingham because 5g spreads the virus. And a lady in a foreign country (don`t know where but think dark clothing and black shawl) saying it is safe in churches with many other people because you can`t get it in a holy place.

Bloody idiots the lot of them.    I echo Chris B's post.      How very very sad.     The total of deaths is really frightening.   That guy is not allowed to be on the river to exercise at the moment.   The only people on the river are liveaboards.   The whole idea is that we ALL stay at home to somehow get this darn disease to dissipate.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MotorBoater said:

Paul, would that be the same supermarket with a TV advert telling people what measures they have brought in, showing a fully stocked shop bearing no relation to the situation in their branches near home ?

I think it might, I hadn't seen the modified advert when I posted, we are not watching a lot of TV at the moment and those few bits we are tend to be series records where we skip the ads anyway.

4 hours ago, Hylander said:

plus your family was either in the forces in God knows where in the world (no mobile phones or Skype)

This is a valid point.

During the war, my father's first wife got two telegrams from the War office, to say that he was "missing, believed killed in action". The first after the fall of Hong Kong and the second, after the fall of Rangoon. When he got back to England about a year later he found she had taken up with another man, as she believed he was dead. His only choice was to "give her grounds" for a divorce. I understand this happened to several thousand servicemen, in those days.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

You could not make it up,  just seen a canoeist going down the river at Wroxham - what makes him think that he is any different from anyone else.      Stay at Home..

I can imagine the man thought it good exercise and by it's nature social distancing. I'm not saying he was right to do this, but I can see why he thought it ok to do so.

I had done several things at the start of this lockdown that I thought "ok" some I thought "essential"  I would think differently now, though I'm sure I shall still get things wrong from time to time.

• Like 3

So this is the state of Emergency in Spain, Beleriacs and Canaries

Written by a English Notary (solicitor) in Tenerife

Bold text is mine

Updated 4 April: Another reminder, it’s apparently still not clear. These are the things we are allowed out for under the State of Emergency:

to buy food, medicines or other basic necessities (like loo rolls, not like nail varnish) And they will ask for your receipt if they stop you.Will also check that all that you have comes from the one shop.

to go to the doctor or medical establishments (this includes dentists for urgent work and opticians but they are allowed not to open)

to go to work (assuming the job comes under the list of essential services)

to go home after being out for a permitted reason

to provide assistance and care to the elderly, children, dependents, or people who are disabled or vulnerable

to go to banks and insurance offices (post offices are also open)

where there is compelling reason or need (this is on the level of the house being on fire not that of feeling a need to stretch the legs)

for any other similar activity

to take out a dog for a wee or to do its business but no more

to feed colonies of stray animals

We can go on foot or by car but we must be alone, and where we go must be the nearest sensible option – i.e. we can go past small shops to get to a supermarket but we can’t go past two supermarkets to get to one we prefer.

We can only go out with another person if we are helping someone disabled, elderly, or are accompanying a young child. If we are in a car, the second person must sit in the rear behind the passenger seat to maximise distance. This is not “silly”: some have told me that couples are far closer at home but legislation in an emergency cannot take account of every single circumstance, and the rule applies across the board and so covers lifts from strangers and taxi journeys too.

The only time there may be more than two in a car is if the occupants are returning a vehicle to the airport to leave Spain: this includes taxis but drivers might refuse to carry more than one passenger. Police will ask for passport and boarding card if you are stopped

The State of Emergency is imposed until the end of 11 April, a week today. Over the course of the next week we are likely to be told that it is to be extended, probably for another fortnight – and that might not be the end of it either. Everything else currently is speculation based on the likelihood, known from the outset, that there will have to be an extension.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

to provide assistance and care to the elderly, children, dependents, or people who are disabled or vulnerable

This one is the good one for me this weekend, my mum's wifi has fecked up  gone wrong leaving her with no option of online food deliveries so I had to go over to see if I could sort it for her today, I think the wifi side of her homehub has died but still connecting to the internet on the ethernet ports, so I have to go back tommorow with a wifi router to link it and see if I can get her going again.

It was good to be told that she had cleaned the door handles and was going to do it again after I'd gone, I checked my temperature before heading over too which I have been doing daily for a while, 36.8 seems pretty good to me.

As I don't own a car I had to take the bike in the sunshine with clear roads and it was sheer bliss, I have noticed that I am riding/driving like less of a tw*t than normal as I don't want to be taking any a&e time when I get it wrong.

Tommorow mornings dog walk will be via car and out to a country footpath (only a few miles) as the normal route will be busy going by the weather forecast, I'd rather be away from crowds as there's always someone that can't get 2 metres as a minimum.

Well we managed to get to Bournemouth today to pick up our youngest from Uni. It was terrible...the traffic was horrendous. :default_icon_liar: 

Well, no it wasn’t, just the opposite. Probably a taste of what motorways were like when they first opened. There was quite a lot of freight, but interestingly I didn’t spot any non-UK carriers. Some cars, but pretty quiet on the whole. It’s the quickest we’ll ever travel to and fro Bournemouth, even keeping within speed restrictions. I rediscovered cruise control.

We took a picnic lunch with us and lots of drinks so that we didn’t have to stop at services. I took the photo below as we were driving along the final stretch toward Bournemouth. Taken shortly before 11am and on a stretch where we’ve previously been in a traffic jam. 

Seren went mad with joy when Alec arrived home. :default_biggrin:

image.thumb.jpeg.c44b1f25598b8ffe4e91dadf56d3bf72.jpeg

Latest update and more info

The National Police Chiefs Council NPCC has now issued new guidance in light of the over zealous policing of the lockdown.
Officers have been told people should not be punished for travelling a “reasonable distance” to exercise - following criticism of heavy-handed tactics used to enforce the Covid-19 lockdown in some areas. 
The new guidance, issued by the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) and the College of Policing, also states road checks on every vehicle are “disproportionate”.
It states: 
Use your judgement and common sense; for example, people will want to exercise locally and may need to travel to do so, we don’t want the public sanctioned for travelling a reasonable distance to exercise.
Road checks on every vehicle is equally disproportionate. We should reserve enforcement only for individuals who have not responded to engage, explain, and encourage, where public health is at risk.

Its not clear how many persons (husband and wife?) are permitted to be in the vehicle when travelling to exercise

• Like 1

It will soon be Sunday.Temps are set to go 20 degrees plus.Please dont be tempted to go to the beach, park river .Stay at home.Enjoy the sun safely away from others.Have a beer,wine or your favourite drink,keeping your distance .We must all play  our part and not taking  risks.Our thanks to the many risking there lives to help us,NHS,emergency services, supermarket workers, carers, delivery personals,key workers.The rest of us can play our part,stay at home and save lives.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DaveRolaves said:

Latest update and more info

The National Police Chiefs Council NPCC has now issued new guidance in light of the over zealous policing of the lockdown.
Officers have been told people should not be punished for travelling a “reasonable distance” to exercise - following criticism of heavy-handed tactics used to enforce the Covid-19 lockdown in some areas. 
The new guidance, issued by the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) and the College of Policing, also states road checks on every vehicle are “disproportionate”.
It states: 
Use your judgement and common sense; for example, people will want to exercise locally and may need to travel to do so, we don’t want the public sanctioned for travelling a reasonable distance to exercise.
Road checks on every vehicle is equally disproportionate. We should reserve enforcement only for individuals who have not responded to engage, explain, and encourage, where public health is at risk.

Its not clear how many persons (husband and wife?) are permitted to be in the vehicle when travelling to exercise

A lot of this is down to unclear instructions from Government which in terms of exercise say "stay local, use open spaces close to your home" etc, which some Police Forces have taken as meaning not to drive when it does not actually say that. One thing we really need in these times is clear instruction so every one knows what is and is not permitted. 

• Sad 2

Hope! Is there hope in this madness?No one but those that are fighting this dreadful disease, are fighting.I would  like to also fight, but sadly can't. Life has changed beyond belief in such a short time.No work,no going to the pub favourite trips to the park,beach. Our trips on the river.Seems so long since we enjoyed simple things.But we Must not give up hope ,we can beat this together if we stand together and not let it beat us .As a nation we have proved we can overcome disaster time and again. Just think I would  love to go out and do whatever,but for now stay safe at home and help where and when you can.

Ian.

• Like 2

Paul, Or we, the public,  just need some common sense.

Legislation takes years to perfect, this was rushed out as emergency legislation, there will be gaps but we need to, in this instance, follow the spirit, not necessarily the letter of the law.

BBQs on the beach today at Brighton, that is just plain irresponsible.

It would be great to walk in the hills, be on the rivers but we can't, for a while yet.

There are still too many people who think it doesn't apply to them, only to others.

It is better to take the restrictions short term than to be dead or possibly kill someone else.

This is after less than two weeks, if people carry on ' bending' the guidance it will stop being ' guidance' and become a total lockdown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3