Corona Virus

Paul

This morning some of the silly questions. Will he be thinking about running the country?will he still be in charge? I know when I was in hospital with pneumonia and on oxygen, all I thought  about was wheres my next breath coming  from.Like many I wish him well and hope he recovers soon.But all those pointless questions is not news

• Like 4

I have no great faith in any of our media, especially the BBC whose reputation for accurate and unbiased journalism is nothing to write home about. I find the Independent to be as reliable as anything, once I would have said the Telegraph but those days are long gone. 

Interestingly news of the Prime Ministers transfer to intensive care yesterday broke on TASS, the Russian news agency hours before officially reported in the UK and was dismissed as sensationalism or a deliberate attempt to destabilize the government (which of course it may well have been), but it was accurate. 

I think the evening corona virus update would be a much better instrument if it were journalist free, an address to the nation rather than a glorified press conference. But then i would not expect our Government to be spending it's time reporting what is happening in the wider world. Whilst they watch and converse with other nations to learn what they can thy have enough to deal with on our own shores, which is where the press takes over, you pays your money and takes your choice.

38 minutes ago, Paul said:

I have no great faith in any of our media, especially the BBC whose reputation for accurate and unbiased journalism is nothing to write home about. I find the Independent to be as reliable as anything, once I would have said the Telegraph but those days are long gone.

In days gone by The Telegraph was my paper of choice. Not through political allegiance, but its news as news is approach to journalism (Also for the crossword )

Nowadays it seems as if most journos (if one can call the bad grammar and punctuation, oh and the spelling, journalism) sit at a desk and trawl Facecrook and Twatter for their stories. Which is so true for local rags.

Because if it's on Social Media it must be real.

• Like 1

I find myself in a very awkward position here. I have been made aware of a highly reliable and accurate source of information, but I am also aware that the one who directed me to this source has to remain anonymous. Not only is this source totally reliable but also can be easily recognised as such by those in a position to come across it.

This might be a bit tricky but having received a telephone call from this source and understanding the importance of reliable, factual and concise data is to members of this forum, I can only hope I can lead members here to it without breaking any confidences.

Basically one can identify the source because although it may have taken one of many different routes to come to your attention, it will always start...

… "Timbo tells me...."

Sorry, torture me if you must, but I shall never reveal who pointed this out to me.

• Haha 3

Miracles do happen ! It seems Tesco have finally checked their emails from the government and realised 1.5 million people have been catergorised as Tier One and require assistance.

I 've had an email this morning saying 75,000 out of an initial 110,000 names supplied are Tesco customers and a system is in place to give Tier One people priority delivery slots.

I have been able to place an order this morning, after weeks of trying, and delivery is confirmed for tomorrow.

This means no-one in the house has to go anywhere as the wife is no longer running around town picking up bits here and there.

Maybe the heavyweight pressure from my MP and others, plus government departments, has persuaded the major supermarkets to invest their extra profits in uprating services.

Finally, lockdown means lockdown, at least for us.

• Like 3

Watching the 1 oclock news on the BBC,   I was astonished to see that when they did a map of the Manchester area , it showed hundreds and I mean hundreds of street parties, raves, house parties bbqs gatherings etc that have been going on since the lockdown.    What is wrong with these people.      I think they should all be rounded up and given 24 hrs on one of the hospitals wards.   They would not think it so funny then.    They just think they are immune and it will not happen to them and this is just one City of the brain dead that cannot get drunk on a Friday/weekend  in a nightclub.

We really do not stand a chance.

21 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Watching the 1 oclock news on the BBC,   I was astonished to see that when they did a map of the Manchester area , it showed hundreds and I mean hundreds of street parties, raves, house parties bbqs gatherings etc that have been going on since the lockdown.    What is wrong with these people.      I think they should all be rounded up and given 24 hrs on one of the hospitals wards.   They would not think it so funny then.    They just think they are immune and it will not happen to them and this is just one City of the brain dead that cannot get drunk on a Friday/weekend  in a nightclub.

We really do not stand a chance.

STOP their Government financial help. And give them coupons so their children don't lose out.

• Like 1

Everybody is rightly worried about bringing the virus into their home with food items, deliveries, post etc.

When our cat was poorly and was having accidents a few years ago I bought a UV blacklight to find where he had been weeing and it worked quite well.

I was wondering if would be possible to manufacture something similar with a beam that covered a very narrow part of the UV spectrum specifically to identify the virus on surfaces.

Possibly impractical or even impossible but I haven't seen anything mentioned anywhere on this subject.

• Like 1

Guest Jayfire

Hopefully to put a smile on everyone's face in these difficult times I thought I would share this video from last night where my colleagues and I joined the Police and health service workers outside the hospital to express our mutual appreciation together, and for all key workers

Wow what a great poem, bang went my resolve not to get emotional! I live alone with my poodle Harry but neighbours are ready if I need anything. I am really eager to get back to the Broads as we all are. I exchanged Legacy (Alpha 29) for Norfolk Dream Broom 29 HT. Apart from my demonstration run she sits patiently waiting. I did get curtains home for a wash  then lockdown. I hope you are staying safe God Bless 

• Like 5

Path user Mike Pike said he only found out it was inaccessible when he tried to walk from Sheringham to West Runton.

He said: “I got as far as Laburnum but couldn’t go any further. Which means you are forced to walk along the main road which is most places is less than a metre wide, making it dangerous and unable to social distance.”

I've driven along that road many times and nowhere is it less than a meter wide, in fact as my car in nearly two meters wide I can guarantee it.

I have a "thought for the day".

We have essential services, and those who must continue to work outside in vital jobs, but one thing we certainly do not need is all these roving TV presenters.

I am already sick and tired of watching some "Gina Hard-faced Bitch" either poking someone in the eye outside a supermarket with a plastic bagged microphone on the end of a 7 foot pole, or standing in the middle of a road or park, where they have no right whatever to be, and saying "Oh look, it's empty!"

Why don't the police do something useful by rounding them up and sending them back to their own homes, where they can continue to bore me to tears by SKYPE? 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I normally coordinate a fleet of local authority bin trucks like most other services manning has been a massive logistical problem so under the circumstances ditching the shirt and tie for workwear was a no brainier as HGV drivers are like hens teeth at the moment.

anyway good Friday 

I was reversing up to what we call a collection point the lads was up there sorting the bins ready for the truck - so I stop and jump out to give the lads a hand and we start firing the bins away when was was approached by a lady with two very small children and grabbed our attention ,the children had made goodie bags not only had they personally decorated but placed a bottle of water a packet of crisps and a couple of Easter eggs . So from a distance we thanked them very much and whilst walking away the little girl turned and said " we put some rubber gloves in the bag so you can go home safe to your family " 

iam a manc born and bred and will stand my ground with anybody but nothing prepared me for that or the lads I was working with 

Stay at home 

finny

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2