Corona Virus

Paul

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Back to the harsh reality. It would seem to me that anyone contemplating a holiday abroad must by now be fully aware that there is a very real risk of being quarantined, either at destination or on return home.

I fly tomorrow to Budapest (from Hamburg) to attend the annual Plenary Meeting of the International Gliding Commision IGC which is held on Friday & Saturday - I'm the deputy delegate for the German Aero Club (how I came to be that as a British citizen is a longish story).  Delegates from all over the globe!  Just have to hope that the Chinese delegates don't come (they have not the past 2 years) but the Japanese always attend.

Our chairman has already communicated "We are all friends, but no handshaking, hugging or kissing!!".

My return flight is Sunday afternoon...

My family are off to Goa for Easter with Tui and have been advised that it is all still going ahead.   Will let you know if I hear anything different.    The whole world cannot come to a standstill.   

This was Spanish Flu.

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918, the deadliest in history, infected an estimated 500 million people worldwide—about one-third of the planet’s population—and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million victims, including some 675,000 Americans. The 1918 flu was first observed in Europe, the United States and parts of Asia before swiftly spreading around the world. At the time, there were no effective drugs or vaccines to treat this killer flu strain. Citizens were ordered to wear masks, schools, theatres and businesses were shuttered and bodies piled up in makeshift morgues before the virus ended its deadly global march.

It is a worry for the world as a whole I know that much but not so for a Mum I was talking to at the school gates.....

"I think it's all the Governments fault for scaring people and causing a panic, it's not half as bad as they're making it out to be" Gobsmacked I turned to her and said.....

"Try telling that to the families of the 2358+ that have already died from it" 

I listened to the Prime Minister's statement on it yesterday, it seems the government are preparing for the worst case scenario and keeping us informed of that rather than trying to cause a panic

Grace x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well the Civil service and NHS are preparing for it, the governments just read out what the Chief Medical officers prepare for them..

How do I know? one of my sisters is a senior civil servant working of one of the 4 Chief Medical officers of the UK countries.. They have been working flat out for weeks..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

At the time, there were no effective drugs or vaccines to treat this killer flu strain.

I think that’s probably the most salient point there, we have come on in leaps and bounds over the years producing cures and remedies for many things. We also have social media allowing good practices to be shared, this thread is just one example. I feel very fortunate to live in the time that I do and know that I have access to surgery and medicines that were not readily available even 50 years ago. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, marshman said:

I just wonder how many people in the UK have died from flu and the complications of flu, since Christmas? If its 1 or more, then its already more than from covid 19?

Lets get it more in perspective.

According to BBC breakfast this morning, about six thousand die of flu in the UK.

For my part I'm at risk,working in London at present in a leading international bank with people from.all over the world, and I suffer from COPD.However I'm not unduly worried. I try to cut down on risks that are within my control. 

Also this morning the number of cases in China are reducing.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2020 at 07:50, ChrisB said:

I think that you will find the alcohol in propriety handgels are in there as a quite drying agent

The alcohol is the active ingredient in hand gels, the added ingredients are gelling agents and emolients to prevent the harshness of the alcohol irritating the skin. A simple gel can easily be home made by combining 99% rubbing alcohol with Aloe Vera gel, but it must be done in the correct ratio. 

19 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Also this morning the number of cases in China are reducing.

This emphasises the need to contain rather than deal with a full scale outbreak.

We have the knowledge that has been gained elsewhere to know what needs to be done, the problem is persuading the population to follow the advice but not panic.

• Like 4

I understand that a probable cure is being trialed in the US at the moment but also that a vaccine is still many months away. The advice to not touch faces is now being peddled by the NHS. 

By the way, my wife's pneumonia is on the mend but she does have to go to the 'breathing clinic' in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

By the way, my wife's pneumonia is on the mend but she does have to go to the 'breathing clinic' in a couple of weeks

Glad to hear she is in the mend. My mum attended breathing clinic recently and it really helped her enormously, hope the same applies to your wife.

• Like 3

Although I do agree with the concept of keeping a sense of proportion and remembering all the other sad forms of suffering and death people are confronted with worldwide every day, it is no more relevant to those suffering and dying from coronovirus than it ever has been to those of us who personally have lost loved ones to any cause.

All forms of suffering wherever they happen and to whoever they happen are to be reflected upon with sadness

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Although I do agree with the concept of keeping a sense of proportion and remembering all the other sad forms of suffering and death people are confronted with worldwide every day, it is no more relevant to those suffering and dying from coronovirus than it ever has been to those of us who personally have lost loved ones to any cause.

All forms of suffering wherever they happen and to whoever they happen are to be reflected upon with sadness

Totally agree but getting stressed out over something that may or may not affect all or some of us isn't helpful, stress lowers the immune system quicker than anything, life has to go on.

Fred

• Like 2

I'm trying to avoid the news now. I am firmly in the camp of those that blame the media for sensationalising everything. We're carrying on our lives as normal and taking what sensible precautions we may need to. Facts are fine but endless speculation just makes me feel unnecessarily stressed. 

I've got a bad cold at the moment ... and someone suggested I should self-isolate after the latest round of Coronavirus advice circulated this morning by the company I work for!!

• Like 2

Information is a weapon, scaremongering is irresponsible. I stick to BBC, NHS and the Guardian mainly. Some editors need to examine their behaviour, I think.

I can see why Public Health England are moving to weekly updates, because the numbers are growing, but actually that makes me more rather than less anxious. 

We are the ‘wrong’ age for this bug and I have asthma, so I am being cautious; making plans to manage the situation, yet carrying on as normal generally.

• Like 5

I was in the queue at the Post Office yesterday when suddenly all kind of panic broke out around me - two blokes had just come in wearing masks.

Things soon settled down however when people realised it was just a hold up ! :default_norty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4